William Morris

Be The First To
Add Photos

William Morris CEO Jim Wiatt

Jim Wiatt

Fast, fascinating and dynamic work environment where the job is more lifestyle than career. It becomes you!

Vice President (Former Employee) Beverly Hills, CA

ProsExciting, interesting people who are driven, Access to information about EVERYTHING entertainment (it is the CIA of the entertainment business)

ConsLow pay for entry level, long hours, stressful, highly competitive, not for the timid

Advice to Senior ManagementPay entry level better wages

Everything is 6 degrees of separation to WIlliam Morris

Assistant to EVP Contemporary Music (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsAmazing people and opportunity for a solid career, work ethic training

Consyou better have a thick skin!

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

Agent Assistant (Former Employee) Beverly Hills, CA

Pros- Resume Builder
    - Fun work environment
    - Always someone to cover you when you take a day off
    - You get to see and often meet celebrities
    - The agents are a cast of characters so it's never dull

Cons- The merger shifted the corporate culture and most original WMA people have left
    - The pay, like at most agencies, is lousy and there was a cut after the merger
    - Long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementModel the corporate culture after the orginial WMA music department. Work hard, play hard and be yourself.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Average Experience at Average Company

Assistant (Former Employee) Beverly Hills, CA

ProsExcellent support staff
    Competitive pay
    Great perks and bonuses

ConsUnstable working environment
    Ridiculous politics run rampant
    Lack of cohesive vision for the future

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck, Ari

Was an OK Place With Excellent History and Terrible Management

Assistant (Former Employee) Beverly Hills, CA

ProsExcellent support staff
    Great history
    Great clients

ConsIncompetent management
    Failing MoPic and TV depts

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck, Ari!

Patience Required

Trainee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAbove average paid time off and holidays.

ConsVery little room for advancement. Very low pay. Favoritism displayed by upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile I understand the necessity for an "A" type personality to thrive in this type of business, the culture that is bred is one that resembles a fraternity. It takes incredible patience, to try and and climb the corporate ladder.

Agent training program in New York is a good place to learn a lot if you can afford to live on the salary.

Agent Trainee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere is no better place to learn the inside workings of the entertainment business. I learned a sick amount about how all kind of thinks work that I didn't understand before. They don't really teach you, you have to pick it up on your own, but it's all there if you listen and watch and read, which they encourage you to do.

The people in the New York office are great - young, smart, friendly. The New York management is understanding and supportive and very encouraging to the agent trainees. Most of the agents in New York really know their areas of the business and are willing to mentor you if you are willing to help them get their work done and don't act too needy. This is a good place to keep your mouth shut and do excellent work and you will probably be rewarded if you do.

You hear a lot about agents being yellers but this was not true for me. There were only a couple of agents like that in NY.

Having the William Morris agent training program on your resume is a huge help in getting your next job if you decide you don't want to be an agent. It got my foot in the door a lot of places that I know that was the reason why.

On a more superficial note, but important in NY with a relatively low salary, they provide a lot of food at meetings for the agent trainees. They know we have no money and this is a way they take the edge off, I guess.

And William Morris closes for 2 weeks paid vacation for everyone every Christmas. Awesome.

ConsThere is zero communication from upper management to anyone at William Morris. And since upper management is in California, this leaves Ny totally out in the cold. I got the feeling that even the agents I worked for were struggling to be recognized by their west coast bosses. So this left me feeling really insecure about my future. I don't think they think very far into the future - the attitude was more like "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it."

You don't get much feedback about how you're doing your job and they believe you should be able to figure out on your own how you are doing, which is understandable in many ways, but a lot of people struggled with that.

You only get a raise once a year, and it is not a very big one. But you can work overtime fairly easily if you can justify it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are pathetic. They blow into town a few times a year and never speak to us and when they do, they expect us to bow down to them. They don't seem like they know what is going on in NY. I don't think they have done a very good job of leading us. The NY management seems like they are trying to fill in the gap for everybody.

Work at this agency if you want to learn the business!

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Beverly Hills, CA

ProsThe connections, the experience, the relationships. learning the industry from the ground up. A GREAT place for a college grad who would like to learn the industry to start. If you are unsure where to start, consider working at an Agency. Working in the Mailroom is even a better idea. Although its pretty competitive to get a position in the mailroom and you often feel like you are doing menial tasks, it will pay off. Lawyers even start in the mailroom. Try reading "The Mailroom" and you will get a feel for how an Agency works- including personal interviews with founders and execs.

ConsThe pay and the hours were pretty harsh.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work!

Lots of Egos, barely livable paycheck

Agent Trainee (Former Employee) Beverly Hills, CA

ProsYou have opportunities to network within the Hollywood System. You quickly learn about upcoming entertainment projects and studio plans. You also learn the names of important studio executives, producers, directors, actors, etc. You also get to meet many celebrities and other clients. It's a good place to learn about marketing people. There are also a number of other young people that you quickly become friends with and form last relationships with.

ConsThere are long hours and terrible pay. Your training as an agent trainee is in becoming an excellent assistant, not in becoming an agent or producer. You learn about scheduling meetings, calls and sending out promotional materials. Your opinion and input is never requested in dealing with clients if you are not an agent. Reading script and other things that may advance your career are you own personal prerogative, not a requirement in your training. You are rarely involved in client or pitch meetings and never really learn about the context of your bosses business, only about setting his or her meetings.
    If you do assist your boss in any projects and help him generate significant revenue, you will not get a share of the rewards.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat every employee in a manner in which they can advance and pay them in accordance with market rates.

A great place to start your career in entertainment but no clear path to promotion

Agent Trainee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe name brand cache that goes with William Morris is definitely something that travels with you in or outside the industry. Doesn't matter what else you have on your resume...if they see William Morris that gives you instant credibility. Other agencies like CAA or Endeavor may claim to be sexier agencies, but WMA is still the class-act. Beyond name cache, there's also the fact that its a great starting off point in the entertainment industry. You can go anywhere within the industry with the relationships and aforementioned credibility which WMA gives you. The other great thing about the company is that there are tons of young people. Your work as an assistant can be grueling but you always have tons of people who are going through it with you. A great experience when you're young.

ConsThe pay, the hours, the long road to promotion. If you come in as a trainee, you can expect to be worked hard and long with very little feedback on your performance. It's not a traditional model where people tell you what a good job you're doing. Usually you only hear feedback when you've messed something up which can wear on those who need that constant communication. Agents and execs are too busy to give it. Not surprisingly, this lack of communication from higher ups also translates to bigger things like promotions. There are certain desks at the company which, if you work them, will improve your chances of promotion but there are really no hard and fast rules on how you make it. If you're there longer than two-three years and no higher-ups have tapped you on the shoulder or taken you under their wing, you should start thinking about leveraging your relationships at WMA to get a job somewhere else in the industry. As entertainment is an industry built on relationships, you'll find that agency to be quite helpful in assisting you in your search. They know that wherever you land, you may cross paths with the agency again. As such, they usually have a vested interest in seeing that you land somewhere good.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd encourage senior management to take a more proactive approach to retaining their most promising young agent trainees. Trainees are sold on the idea that they're the future of the agency but then when you get there you're treated like another face in the crowd. For the ivy league grads, business school grads, and law school grads who make up the trainee ranks, there is a definite sense at times that you've been sold a false book of goods. Here are people who have the intelligence and know-how to think big and be very entrepreneurial and they're willingly submitting themselves to pretty mindless jobs. Management should give those with promise a better sense of how they're doing and where they stand. While execs do organize some interesting events for trainees, there's just not enough direct contact and feedback from the execs who hold the strings on promotions. While the whole "sink-or-swim" mentality can help separate the promising from the uninspired, even the promising talent who likes the business can become disenchanted when there is seemingly no light at the end of the tunnel.

Worked for William Morris? Contribute to the Community!