William W. Backus Hospital

William W. Backus Hospital Reviews in Norwich, CT

3.8

CEO

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

small hospital, now part of a bigger system

Current Employee - MIS  in  Norwich, CT
    Current Employee - MIS in Norwich, CT

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

good pay, average benefits, small town hospital getting bigger

Cons

Now part of HHC; lots of changes coming...

Great place to work

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician  in  Norwich, CT
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Norwich, CT

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Shift differential, 403b retirement, flexible hours.

Cons

Off campus parking. Need to take shuttle in on first shift only

Great place to work yet need to stay away from negative "clicks"

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital

Pros

Strong goals and vision. Trying to be cutting edge.

Cons

Some old school negative clicks still exist

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tensions are high, patient care is excellent.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Norwich, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwich, CT

I worked at William W. Backus Hospital

Pros

Not sure on this one. ..maybe a paycheck, but even that isn't a definite.

Cons

I have often seen people let go and jobs eliminated, even when they have been there for years. New upper management is in place and they are building up the hospital ie, remodeling the E.R and various areas of the hospital, however, no additional employees being added. In fact, people are being let go and benefits and "perks" are being eliminated. Employees are so disappointed with current environment they are perusing a union.

Some of the perks that have been taken away need to be replaced. I don't think leadership realizes the extent of the low morale within the hospital. There is alot of frustration.

Now its just a job

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital

Pros

Will still have a few good people left to work WITH. Its a Paycheck. Its a Paycheck.........At least I have some control over my 403b

Cons

Taking away our benefits, reducing pay by removing holidays and setting up the holiday pay so you have to be a circus juggler to get it. Firing people left and right. Swipe police monitoring breaks. (god help if you forget something in your car) working as a nurse with 7 and 8 pts. Charge nurses with 7 pts. Running short-staffed all the time. A lot of the good people are running for the door. At the rate the rats are deserting.....the ships going down fast!!

1. Don't treat us like we are stupid. We recognize that the blog and town meettings were a ploy to gain our trust before you stabbed us. We see how you stir the "pot of doom" to make us believe that the healthcare bill will be the death of healthcare when in fact a large part of the completely non-paying pts will now at least have some insurance. Please realize that without us this hospital dies. I have NEVER liked unions but I do not see any choice in this matter. You made it "us against them", now you get to sit back and deal with the looming and probably inevitable union arriving..

Review of the organization

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital

Pros

This organization focuses on patients and can be an amazing place to work. The benefits are phenominal. 4 weeks vacation 2 weeks sick time, great medical and dental coverage compared to other employees and pretty competetive pay.

Cons

The lack of career advancement and promotion potential is disappointing. The lack of a involvement in the career development of staff.

My advice would be to offer career tracks where people could develop and advance within the organization instead of having to go elsewhere.

Worked for William W. Backus Hospital? Contribute to the Community!