William W. Backus Hospital

3.6
CEO

1. wwbh

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital full-time

Pros

current practice, innovative,easy access, technology, MD are great

Cons

union, some issues with office conflict

As an organization as a whole, not bad at all. The specific department in which I worked, unfortunately, quite bad.

I worked at William W. Backus Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The hospital on a whole is a decent enough place to work for. Nothing spectacular, but nothing terrible. The department that you work in is another story. Contradictory though, as the two I suppose are related, yet I still feel as I have written above. Please read below.

Cons

Things used to be decent, but have changed in the past few years. Aside from a select few co-workers, the vast majority of the employees in my department were quite miserable, selfish, and conniving. All virtues that one can most likely find anywhere in varying quantities, however, when the department head(s) encourage and revel in the aforementioned behavior, it can make for a dissatisfying work experience. Department head(s) are so embarrassingly out of touch with who actually is a good worker and who is not. Often times the employees thought of as the poorest of workers by co-workers, were though of as the best by department head(s). A culture of division was espoused by management. Issues were never thought out properly by management, and employees had to scramble to resolve issues that should have never arose had management addressed the problem, rather than ignore it. High turnover. HR was useless, never an employee advocate. Patient care is stated to be a priority, but things that I have seen make me question this within the department in which I had worked. Also, to backtrack, management always failed to address issues with clearly deficient employees. Productivity was not even across the board, yet the few capable workers had to carry the subpar ones. There is a metric to measure this, but nothing was done about this particular issue. I don't blame the deficient employee. After all, if not held accountable, then why should they change and work harder or better, if they are able to skate by and receive the same raise as a more capable employee. This is an insulting thought. Rather, if you are a capable individual and able to relate well to workers in other departments, watch out. You will most likely be night sticked and bullied by management. It's an odd universe. There could be a vast improvement if the department head(s) were kept in check and the deficient workers and whiners called out on their ways. As I said in the beginning, so shall I say again; these issues can be found anywhere, however, when it is to this extent, it becomes toxic to work at such a place. This is only department specific. I cannot speak much on other departments within the organization. Good luck to you.

Advice to Management

Fostering a vindictive, divisive work environment is not the way to go. Management is so out of touch, it is painfully comical. Hold people accountable for their work. See them for who they are. Is a brown noser that valuable to you? Do your ego's need to be stroked that much? Open your eyes, and see what you've chosen to be blind to all these years. A truly anonymous employee survey about any issue that an employee would like to bring to your attention would be a nice thing to see. This survey technique was attempted, but was neither anonymous nor addressed actual issues that real people are concerned with. Try again, and you don't have to hire some useless consultant to come up with the questions. Here, I will give you the magic question to ask: what work related issues or concerns would you like to bring to our attention? List in numerical order typed out.

3. Great CT Hospital

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As an intern, it was great to be in a work setting where everyone was incredibly kind, and willing to answer questions, teach and mentor me the whole time I was there and after!

Cons

Did not experience any cons during my internship experience.

Advice to Management

Continue being as helpful and willing to listen to your employees as you currently are!

5. small hospital, now part of a bigger system

Current Employee - MIS in Norwich, CT
    Current Employee - MIS in Norwich, CT

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good pay, average benefits, small town hospital getting bigger

Cons

Now part of HHC; lots of changes coming...

Great place to work

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Norwich, CT
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Norwich, CT

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Shift differential, 403b retirement, flexible hours.

Cons

Off campus parking. Need to take shuttle in on first shift only

Great place to work yet need to stay away from negative "clicks"

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital

Pros

Strong goals and vision. Trying to be cutting edge.

Cons

Some old school negative clicks still exist

Tensions are high, patient care is excellent.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwich, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwich, CT

I worked at William W. Backus Hospital

Pros

Not sure on this one. ..maybe a paycheck, but even that isn't a definite.

Cons

I have often seen people let go and jobs eliminated, even when they have been there for years. New upper management is in place and they are building up the hospital ie, remodeling the E.R and various areas of the hospital, however, no additional employees being added. In fact, people are being let go and benefits and "perks" are being eliminated. Employees are so disappointed with current environment they are perusing a union.

Advice to Management

Some of the perks that have been taken away need to be replaced. I don't think leadership realizes the extent of the low morale within the hospital. There is alot of frustration.

Now its just a job

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital

Pros

Will still have a few good people left to work WITH. Its a Paycheck. Its a Paycheck.........At least I have some control over my 403b

Cons

Taking away our benefits, reducing pay by removing holidays and setting up the holiday pay so you have to be a circus juggler to get it. Firing people left and right. Swipe police monitoring breaks. (god help if you forget something in your car) working as a nurse with 7 and 8 pts. Charge nurses with 7 pts. Running short-staffed all the time. A lot of the good people are running for the door. At the rate the rats are deserting.....the ships going down fast!!

Advice to Management

1. Don't treat us like we are stupid. We recognize that the blog and town meettings were a ploy to gain our trust before you stabbed us. We see how you stir the "pot of doom" to make us believe that the healthcare bill will be the death of healthcare when in fact a large part of the completely non-paying pts will now at least have some insurance. Please realize that without us this hospital dies. I have NEVER liked unions but I do not see any choice in this matter. You made it "us against them", now you get to sit back and deal with the looming and probably inevitable union arriving..

10. Review of the organization

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital

Pros

This organization focuses on patients and can be an amazing place to work. The benefits are phenominal. 4 weeks vacation 2 weeks sick time, great medical and dental coverage compared to other employees and pretty competetive pay.

Cons

The lack of career advancement and promotion potential is disappointing. The lack of a involvement in the career development of staff.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to offer career tracks where people could develop and advance within the organization instead of having to go elsewhere.

Where has the family atmosphere gone?

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital

Pros

Convenient to travel to...Good pay....Fair benefits...My manager is the fairest and the best. Good hours,,,,Sharing of the holidays fair and adequate...

Cons

Since our new management has taken over patient care in my opinion has suffered tremendously. Mandatory cancellation of RN's has taken a toll on the staff, Morale is down terribly, You no longer can count on your hours being at 24 or 32. At any given time you will get the phone call that you are being canceled. Cafeteria food has deteriorated. Prices in our cafeteria are no ridiculous for poor quality of food and the hours are not conducive to staff members. They have cut our shift differential and our accural of paid time off. There is absolutely no recognition for longevity. Supervisors and upper management all received bonuses whereas the working staff received dramatic cuts in their pay..

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff...We are trying to tell you something....Have the Board of Directors talk to the staff without Mr. Whitehead or karen Long being there...Talk to the staff that has shown their dedication and longevity...And answer the question honestly Why did 50 RN's apply to Lawrence??

RSS Feed </> Embed