William W. Backus Hospital

3.8

CEO

wwbh

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital full-time

Pros

current practice, innovative,easy access, technology, MD are great

Cons

union, some issues with office conflict

Great CT Hospital

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

As an intern, it was great to be in a work setting where everyone was incredibly kind, and willing to answer questions, teach and mentor me the whole time I was there and after!

Cons

Did not experience any cons during my internship experience.

Continue being as helpful and willing to listen to your employees as you currently are!

small hospital, now part of a bigger system

Current Employee - MIS in Norwich, CT
    Current Employee - MIS in Norwich, CT

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good pay, average benefits, small town hospital getting bigger

Cons

Now part of HHC; lots of changes coming...

Great place to work

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Norwich, CT
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Norwich, CT

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Shift differential, 403b retirement, flexible hours.

Cons

Off campus parking. Need to take shuttle in on first shift only

Great place to work yet need to stay away from negative "clicks"

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital

Pros

Strong goals and vision. Trying to be cutting edge.

Cons

Some old school negative clicks still exist

Tensions are high, patient care is excellent.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwich, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwich, CT

I worked at William W. Backus Hospital

Pros

Not sure on this one. ..maybe a paycheck, but even that isn't a definite.

Cons

I have often seen people let go and jobs eliminated, even when they have been there for years. New upper management is in place and they are building up the hospital ie, remodeling the E.R and various areas of the hospital, however, no additional employees being added. In fact, people are being let go and benefits and "perks" are being eliminated. Employees are so disappointed with current environment they are perusing a union.

Some of the perks that have been taken away need to be replaced. I don't think leadership realizes the extent of the low morale within the hospital. There is alot of frustration.

Now its just a job

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital

Pros

Will still have a few good people left to work WITH. Its a Paycheck. Its a Paycheck.........At least I have some control over my 403b

Cons

Taking away our benefits, reducing pay by removing holidays and setting up the holiday pay so you have to be a circus juggler to get it. Firing people left and right. Swipe police monitoring breaks. (god help if you forget something in your car) working as a nurse with 7 and 8 pts. Charge nurses with 7 pts. Running short-staffed all the time. A lot of the good people are running for the door. At the rate the rats are deserting.....the ships going down fast!!

1. Don't treat us like we are stupid. We recognize that the blog and town meettings were a ploy to gain our trust before you stabbed us. We see how you stir the "pot of doom" to make us believe that the healthcare bill will be the death of healthcare when in fact a large part of the completely non-paying pts will now at least have some insurance. Please realize that without us this hospital dies. I have NEVER liked unions but I do not see any choice in this matter. You made it "us against them", now you get to sit back and deal with the looming and probably inevitable union arriving..

Review of the organization

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital

Pros

This organization focuses on patients and can be an amazing place to work. The benefits are phenominal. 4 weeks vacation 2 weeks sick time, great medical and dental coverage compared to other employees and pretty competetive pay.

Cons

The lack of career advancement and promotion potential is disappointing. The lack of a involvement in the career development of staff.

My advice would be to offer career tracks where people could develop and advance within the organization instead of having to go elsewhere.

Where has the family atmosphere gone?

I have been working at William W. Backus Hospital

Pros

Convenient to travel to...Good pay....Fair benefits...My manager is the fairest and the best. Good hours,,,,Sharing of the holidays fair and adequate...

Cons

Since our new management has taken over patient care in my opinion has suffered tremendously. Mandatory cancellation of RN's has taken a toll on the staff, Morale is down terribly, You no longer can count on your hours being at 24 or 32. At any given time you will get the phone call that you are being canceled. Cafeteria food has deteriorated. Prices in our cafeteria are no ridiculous for poor quality of food and the hours are not conducive to staff members. They have cut our shift differential and our accural of paid time off. There is absolutely no recognition for longevity. Supervisors and upper management all received bonuses whereas the working staff received dramatic cuts in their pay..

Listen to your staff...We are trying to tell you something....Have the Board of Directors talk to the staff without Mr. Whitehead or karen Long being there...Talk to the staff that has shown their dedication and longevity...And answer the question honestly Why did 50 RN's apply to Lawrence??