William & Mary

Be The First To
Add Photos

William & Mary President Taylor Reveley

Taylor Reveley

Working Hard to be the best public Ivy.

I have been working at William & Mary full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe College has a great mix of undergraduates, graduate students, faculty, and staff that are all passionate about pushing the College to be the best version of itself.

ConsSmall town, and a coterie of small minded people, that want to keep the College mired in tradition, no matter the cost.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't fail to recognize the potential that already exists within the institution.

Great if you fit in

I have been working at William & Mary

ProsGreat tight knit community and stellar academics.

ConsIf you don't fit into the TWAMPy community or the self-important greek community there is essentially no place for you.

Good culture, moving forward

Staff (Former Employee)

I worked at William & Mary full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRespectful, understanding, compassionated, good/average paced work environment

ConsHR slow to resolved some issues, otherwise no issue.

Work at an internationally-acclaimed higher education institution

I have been working at William & Mary

ProsThe William and Mary name carries you far, and the Tribe spirit is exceptional and unparalleled. The people are very friendly and the students are dedicated.

ConsGraduate stipends are, as expected, relatively low. There is also a lack of financial support from the Office of Graduate Studies.

grad school

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee)
Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at William & Mary as a contractor for less than a year

Prosacademic environment. smart people all around.

Consnot much to do in town

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Excellent opportunity

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at William & Mary part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat opportunity to get some experience teaching while I was a student; good supervisors; flexible schedule; helped with tuition costs

ConsI wish the pay had been a bit higher; otherwise, I had no complaints; this was a graduate assistant position I had while a student

Teaching Assistant

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at William & Mary part-time for less than a year

ProsOpportunity for more interaction with some amazing professors. Strengthen knowledge of course material. Teaching and helping students. Credibility of having been a TA at a good university - even better if you can do it as an undergrad.

ConsGrading and correcting technical assignments. Extra work when you have the least time - exams to grade while you're studying for exams.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the wage for and get a higher quality teaching assistants. Students can make more money tutoring on their own.

Great place to work

Moving Storage Worker (Former Employee)

I worked at William & Mary full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat people and good working environment

Consthere are no bad things to say about the job

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was a great place to work enjoyed my time there

Good work/life balance, impressive colleagues

Postdoctoral Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at William & Mary full-time for more than a year

ProsPlush, well-funded small liberal arts college. They treat employees well and have good research facilities. You will always have top notch researchers and teachers to interact with.

ConsPowerful personalities can destroy departments. The upper administration could have put a stop to these issues, but lack of leadership caused it to spread like a cancer.

Important Educational Mission, but Pervasive Morale Issues

I have been working at William & Mary part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is amazing academic and educational work being done at William and Mary.
Many of the students and faculty are really wonderful, engaged, interesting people.
Lots of committees (faculty) and student groups demonstrate a community focus.
Beautiful campus.
Perks in some cases, like your spouse being able to get a cheap gym membership or free/reduced cost tuition.

ConsI've had a lot of problems with getting my Human Resources and Payroll issues sorted out. There have been a lot of changes in the last couples years regarding which forms and protocols to use, and when it turns out you are using an outdated method, some administrative technicians are accusatory instead of helpful.

HR and Payroll are particularly hostile when you are a student employee, they treat you like you are completely untrustworthy and unreliable (particularly the case if you are a graduate student who is in a substantial job at the College).

William and Mary has been squeezing the housekeeping staff increasingly over the last year, there have been management changes and housekeepers are literally told they only have 12 minutes to mop a hallway, or whatever. It makes them feel like cogs in a machine, and has been terrible for morale. It's also not very nice to work in an environment where not everyone is treated humanely.

William and Mary has been on a salary freeze for a long time now, with a few minimal adjustments. Employees at all levels are underpaid.

Works like a large state bureaucracy - jobs can take 4-5 weeks to be finalized, paperwork abounds, lots of restrictions and hoops about how to spend departmental funds.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress the culture of communication in your Human Resources, Payroll, and IT departments - make sure people are responding completely, timely, and politely to emails and that their phone persona is friendly.
Assess how the system works for student employees, particularly graduate student employees. Are they treated with the respect you would give to other staff, or treated as if they are doing something slightly underhanded?

Worked for William & Mary? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at William & Mary reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for William & Mary CEO Taylor Reveley. All 35 reviews posted anonymously by William & Mary employees.