William & Mary

Taylor Reveley

Animal Care Assistant

Former Employee - Animal Care Assistant in Williamsburg, VA
    Former Employee - Animal Care Assistant in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at William & Mary part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Interesting work place, adequate safety training, and good pay for the work.

Cons

Working in an older facility means less adequate equipment and more unreliable conditions.

A mixed bag - but worth it in the end

Current Employee - Mid-level Administrator in Williamsburg, VA
    Current Employee - Mid-level Administrator in Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at William & Mary full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible benefits, responsibilities as described in your job, generous vacation time for professional faculty. Dedicated personnel can be found in most departments.

Cons

Basement-level salaries in most areas, lack of advancement opportunities, administrative inertia/inefficiency, inconsistent performance assessment standards.

Your experience (whether positive or negative) will depend solely on your department and the culture within it. Working in higher ed, at least in most places with an endowment <$1 billion, usually means that you aren't in it to make big bucks. Chances are at W&M that you have a passion for working with students, you are an alum who refuses to leave/comes back (yup, we have plenty of those who work here since we just LOVE to hire alumni) or you just live locally and this is the most appealing option for you.

A few items here and there: The College has made modest investments in technology since I arrived a few years ago. The technological and physical plant has been aging, and you can tell automatically when new investments are made in the cheapest way possible. Some offices have been experiencing major turnover. Faculty salaries are not even close to competitive, yet we are still able to recruit some good ones based on the W&M name and the still dismal/cut-throat faculty job market. Not sure how long that's going to last, and we keep hearing from senior administrators that the issue is being addressed... Also, the concept of work/life balance can fly out the window depending on the staffing of your department. One of the biggest misgivings that people have at W&M is how understaffed departments are. It's important to ensure you have great, helpful, collaborative coworkers -- especially when (not if) your workload starts to become unsustainable!

Benefits are pretty amazing. The advantage of tuition-free coursework/degree programs really enhances your professional development -- but don't expect your department to provide prof. development experiences in addition. Generous vacation time. The cost of other benefits, like health care, has been increasing but at a lower level than most.

Advancement (and salary increases!) often take place when you look internally for opportunities beyond your department. Promotions are rare and depend on departmental funds or politics. Building connections and networking with folks in other departments is to your benefit in this regard. It takes a tremendous amount of effort, but the end results can be very positive.

It's a mixed bag here. Many good people work here at W&M, and there's an unbridled passion for the institution that you can feel on a regular basis. The campus is beautiful in parts. The quality of life is good -- if a bit expensive -- in Williamsburg. Explore your options as much as possible, but I can still recommend working here if you make it your own -- warts and all.

Great student work!

Current Employee - Language Consultant in Williamsburg, VA
    Current Employee - Language Consultant in Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at William & Mary part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, convenient for students, very supportive management! Awesome community.

Cons

Pay isn't great, and school funding makes promotions not super likely.

Get more funding from the VA senate, or raise the number of out of staters. You can't keep running a competitive school without the money to do so.

Great school

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at William & Mary part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ability to think on your feet. good work life balance and to do research projects. Great faculty and students.

Cons

disconnection between departments. Housing costs are expensive. Williamsburg is a quite town, nothing much happens. Nearest big city will be Richmond.

Fund more for research projects

Working Hard to be the best public Ivy.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at William & Mary full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The College has a great mix of undergraduates, graduate students, faculty, and staff that are all passionate about pushing the College to be the best version of itself.

Cons

Small town, and a coterie of small minded people, that want to keep the College mired in tradition, no matter the cost.

Don't fail to recognize the potential that already exists within the institution.

Great if you fit in

I have been working at William & Mary

Pros

Great tight knit community and stellar academics.

Cons

If you don't fit into the TWAMPy community or the self-important greek community there is essentially no place for you.

Good culture, moving forward

Former Employee - Staff in Williamsburg, VA
    Former Employee - Staff in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at William & Mary full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Respectful, understanding, compassionated, good/average paced work environment

Cons

HR slow to resolved some issues, otherwise no issue.

Work at an internationally-acclaimed higher education institution

I have been working at William & Mary

Pros

The William and Mary name carries you far, and the Tribe spirit is exceptional and unparalleled. The people are very friendly and the students are dedicated.

Cons

Graduate stipends are, as expected, relatively low. There is also a lack of financial support from the Office of Graduate Studies.

grad school

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Williamsburg, VA
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at William & Mary as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

academic environment. smart people all around.

Cons

not much to do in town

n/a

Excellent opportunity

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Williamsburg, VA
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at William & Mary part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity to get some experience teaching while I was a student; good supervisors; flexible schedule; helped with tuition costs

Cons

I wish the pay had been a bit higher; otherwise, I had no complaints; this was a graduate assistant position I had while a student

William & Mary Photos