Williams

Williams Reviews in Houston, TX

Updated Jun 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Williams President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Williams Partners Alan S. Armstrong

Alan S. Armstrong

Pros
  • It is an awesome company with lots of benefits and encourages a work/life balance(in 9 reviews)

• Laid back, low pressure, low stress operations(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The good old boy network is alive and well here(in 3 reviews)

• Promotions are not based on best qualified, based on good old boys network and affirmative action(in 3 reviews)

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great employees and benefits

IT Analyst III (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsLoved the benefits the company offered their employees. Great environment and people.

ConsLike large companies they tend to pigeon hole you to your skill sets that you were hired for. Their salary was a little lower then what market was paying.

Overall, pleasant - I developed as a professional and I enjoyed my time at Williams.

Environmental Scientist I (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBenefits, flexibility, advancement, environmental, employees. Especially the time I worked in Houston, it was very pleasant for me. I really grew fond of my manager(s) and colleagues.

ConsOffice Politics, running too lean at times, work-life balance. At times it seemed that the politics were heavy with too many people running their own agenda. Towards the end of my time there, the department was very lean and there was way too much to do leading to a very lopsided work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees and don't get caught up with egos.

Intern

Intern (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat intern experience. Lots of traveling opportunities.

ConsMany employees are dissatisfied because they are not able to do what they want within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to move around in the company as they wish.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosplenty of time off, low stress

Consmangers don't make decisions quickly

Advice to Senior Managementincrease pay

Williams is an excellent place to work

Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsWilliams has a positive reinforcement culture that tends to focus on the rewards. Performance reviews and feedback are constructive and are never really punitive. Competent engineers are treated with the utmost respect and their opinions and ideas are valued regardless of age or experience level. The employees in general are treated an indispensible assets management will not hesitate to explain how important your work is to the organization and will give ample credit and praise when they are due. Professional growth and advancement exists but requires patience.

The atmosphere is very relaxed and work-life balance is never an issue. There is ample flexibility in schedules, workloads, etc.

ConsManagement may be too easy on employees and the culture may be too relaxed to get the necessary work done and adequately compete against more aggressive competition. Growth projects are few and far in between - risk aversion is the predominant attitude here. The conservative solution more often than not wins out over better solutions and ideas.

This is not a company for Type A personalities - they may find the culture and the people frustrating.

Employees do work in cubicle farms so if you're on the phone with a recruiter, better speak very softly.

Advice to Senior ManagementA organism that is not growing is a dead organism. Allow the good projects to move forward and take some risks. If we don't the our hungrier competitors will. It is only a matter of time before they take a big bite into our bread and butter.

Good company to work at depending on your job function

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe company provides a good work-life balance in addition to opportunities for career advancement.

ConsDivisions still exist among employees in the different businesses (competition between E&P, Midstream and Pipelines).

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is always important to listen to employees and be receptive to the feedback they provide.

The truth, not just what you want to hear. Good & bad with every company.

Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsLots of vacation, easy-going people, usually low stress, optional 9/80 schedule, flex-time.

ConsPeople seem to be hired and promoted because of the wrong reasons. Females and minorities get preference as leaders. New hires and even interns seem to almost always be female, minority, or have some connection to a current employee. Management does not always seem to be on board with just hiring the best person for the job. Also, not a great educational reimbursement package compared to other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink outside of the box more. Instead of taking employee feedback and not even using it, consider some of their ideas occasionally. The mid-level managers and their employees do the grunt work everyday and are more in-tune with changes in the industry on a localized level.

good company if you want long term stability

Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe company is very laidback and is very reasonable with expectations. The company provides a good work-life balance for individuals with families and management is amenable and respectful to your needs. Company culture overall is very employee friendly. The pay package is generous compared to some competitors.

ConsThe company is painfully conservative at times as most of it middle management employees are 25+ year company veterans who think things should be done the 'good ole ways. Middle management and senior employees are resistive to change and do not seem to see the big picture [for the most part]. Innovation is said to be encouraged by upper management but often is stymied by middle management and senior employees. Vertical growth in the company is difficult to come by because management positions are not created often, you must wait in line to make manager - who are typically appointed rather than bidded competitively. Management positions rarely become open.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstill a big-picture perspective in middle management and encourage and incentivize senior staff to be innovative. Companies who do not grow will go away.

Worked for Williams? Contribute to the Community!