Williams International

Updated January 19, 2015
Updated January 19, 2015
3.3

Gregg G. Williams

Excellent engineering culture, small enough to retain agility

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Walled Lake, MI
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Walled Lake, MI

I worked at Williams International as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

- Relatively small by aero engine manufacturer standards, which makes each individual's effort have noticeable impact. This also means that each analyst is exposed to a number of different programs, so there's less risk of getting "pigeonholed" with one task.
    - Friendly, competent engineering staff.
    - Lunch-hour sports are supported. This is not only a great way of staying healthy, but also really makes the afternoons much less of a slog. It's fun to set sneaky b-ball picks on the VP's too. On-site showers are good for post-sports clean-up and cycling commuters alike.
    - Ability to work on cutting-edge defense research projects ups the cool factor.
    - Company is family-run, so decisions tend to be more focused on long-term factors than the industry norm. (I.e., there's no share price to worry about, so there's less emphasis on short-term thinking)
    - Interns and entry-level engineers are given real responsibility right from the start.

Cons

- Uncertain growth potential: The company went through a major growth phase with the introduction of their civil turbofans decades ago, but now the market isn't growing much, and new engines from the big boys (GE in particular) will put on the pressure even more.
    - SE Michigan location (where most engineering goes on) is good for families, but a bit dull for the young professional.
    - Resources are more limited compared to big companies, engineers often have to make due with outdated equipment, however this generally isn't a critical problem.

Take on additional technical risk. It's uncomfortable, but necessary to prevent long-term decay of competitiveness.

Rewarding Summer Internship

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Williams International as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly and welcoming environment, always able to work on something you're interested in, the work is the same as full-time engineers

Cons

Very small company, could feel like working on an island at times, leadership is very busy and gives ambiguous direction

A pleasant working environment

Former Contractor - Pro-e Senior Mechanical Designer in Ogden, UT
    Former Contractor - Pro-e Senior Mechanical Designer in Ogden, UT

I worked at Williams International as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Future potential outlook is promising

Cons

Cannot think of any challenges.

Not enough experience to offer a valid opinion

Good place to learn and work

I worked at Williams International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A good place to experience design, engineering, testing and manufacturing all under one roof. Also offered a great work life balance.

Cons

Smaller company with limited promotion opportunities.

Excellent family owned business

I have been working at Williams International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fair treatment of employees, good benefits, exciting products and growth opportunities. Three locations, two in the US, and one in Mexico. Michigan location primarily engineering, R&D, and R&O. Utah is design to production facility. Mexico is labor-intense low-technology production facility geared for cost reduction.

Cons

Small company with limited growth opportunity beyond lower management. Many educated and highly competent employees competing for a few positions.

Keep up the good work!

Internship

I have been working at Williams International

Pros

good sense of community
    Work on real projects
    Everyone is willing to help explain things
    Work with full time employees

Cons

direction of projects changed frequently
    old facility
    Generation gap (It's getting a lot better though)
    Directions on what to do and how to do it are sometimes unclear

Gained good experience from the internship

I worked at Williams International as an intern

Pros

The pay is relatively competitive

Cons

The facility is a bit outdated

A great summer internship

Current Intern - Expansion Division in Walled Lake, MI
    Current Intern - Expansion Division in Walled Lake, MI

I have been working at Williams International as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, lenient managers, and an open-ended project made me enjoy my internship in the expansion group. There were also fun activities for the interns: most of the employees were pretty cool.

Cons

Not much to complain about, other than a rather unclear expectation of my work. It took me almost the whole summer to compile the analysis program I was working on, and got little help from supervisors.

Not much: good job.

Great in the begining, very sad at the end

Former Employee - Director Total Assurance Program in Walled Lake, MI
    Former Employee - Director Total Assurance Program in Walled Lake, MI

I worked at Williams International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Small private high tech company that can offer rapid advancement

Cons

A major change in company culture when the founder passed away. In my opinion; as rapidly as you can advance, you can be terminated for apparently any reason. In my opinion I was terminated for being too successful and making too much money on a commission bases. My job functions were passed to much younger employees.

Instead of being overzealous of ones accomplishments; focus more on what is best and more productive for the company. Show more integrity, less arrogance, and greater appreciation of your high performing employees, as they are hard to come by.

Lack of real potential

Former Employee - Lead Engineer in Walled Lake, MI
    Former Employee - Lead Engineer in Walled Lake, MI

I worked at Williams International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Advanced technologies and tools to work with.

Cons

The company is small and subject to the whims of the owner. Be prepared to be dissapointed in any for of advancement as well as the very poor decision makings of upper management. Constant lay-offs and the owners propensity to listen to those not in the jet engine business make this to be one stressful job at all levels.

Greg Williams should come to the logical conclusion he is not nor will he ever be his father, his thoughtless decisions have cost hundreds their jobs and the company valuable business and resources.