Williams Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
3.6

Williams President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Williams Partners Alan S. Armstrong
Alan S. Armstrong

Pros
  • It is an awesome company with lots of benefits and encourages a work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Laid back, low pressure, low stress operations (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The good old boy network is alive and well here (in 3 reviews)

• Promotions are not based on best qualified, based on good old boys network and affirmative action (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent pay and benefits. Friendly working environment.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Williams full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, people, work is enjoyable. Work life balance is great.

Cons

Company is still culturally split making any company wide changes difficult. Best practices are not followed where improvements have been identified.

Integrate the company so that standards are followed cross assets and regions.

pros

I worked at Williams full-time

Pros

work life balance was acceptable

Cons

direction and overall leadership lacking

Underwhelming

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Williams full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good industry experience and networking opportunities. 401k match and pension plan after a year or so.

Cons

Pay is much lower than the industry standard for business professionals. Office culture is very "good-old boy" and geared towards engineers. If you're not an engineer, then you're not as important. Williams is either severely overstaffed or understaffed. In departments with a deficit in employees, employees will be stuck working from 730 am- 9pm at night. In departments where no one is ever let go, there may be upwards of 3 employees sitting at their desks all day doing absolutely nothing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Williams full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management listens to employees. Benefits are great. Work-life balance is very reasonable for most positions.

Cons

Rapid growth breaks older processes, but the company eventually adapts to new conditions.

Business Intern

I worked at Williams

Pros

The program is pretty good about keeping you involved with other interns. There are plenty of social events and meaningful work to do.

Cons

Many days there was just nothing to do. Either I would be waiting on another employee for information or my manager simply didn't have something for me to work on. To be expected as an intern, but sill.

Great employees and benefits

Former Employee - IT Analyst III  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT Analyst III in Houston, TX

I worked at Williams full-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved the benefits the company offered their employees. Great environment and people.

Cons

Like large companies they tend to pigeon hole you to your skill sets that you were hired for. Their salary was a little lower then what market was paying.

Internship

Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Intern  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Intern in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Williams full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great mentorship system, and people were generally happy!

Cons

Not enough challenging work at times.

Great opportunity for growth

Former Employee - Industrial Hygiene Intern  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Industrial Hygiene Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Williams as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I absolutely loved my internship at Williams but it is probably not for all. I was in an advanced internship and was given a lot of freedom and little supervision. Other interns did have much more structured internships however. I was given goals at the beginning of the summer and had to provide progress reports throughout the summer. It allowed me to let my project management skills shine. I learned a lot about the natural gas industry and gained experience that has been extremely valuable for me in my job hunt. Lots of travel and the company provided comfortable accommodations. High value on health and safety. Williams is very big on personal development and being family friendly which is great. Good involvement in the community as well.

Cons

Travel got old after a while. There are some lingering issues following the reorganization of the company several years back that cause some problems from time to time but overall a good work environment with good people.

Continue to develop talent inside the company...I think the loyalty I saw was great and I'd hate to see that disappear.

good place to work

I have been working at Williams

Pros

Lots of good people, a decent community focus, and treated with respect.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities in many areas. People tend to stay in jobs for long periods of times.

Welcome to the Boys Club

Current Employee - Engineer III
    Current Employee - Engineer III

I have been working at Williams full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

On the outset Williams is a great company to work for. You can get hired easily if you know someone. Relatives, especially sons and daughters are automatic hires. Pay is average with the industry, benefits are good and the work is easy. You can get away with doing almost nothing for your entire career here and never get fired. I knew of several employees personally who were doing just that. It's a widespread issue throughout the company. (Type A personalities stay away!)

Cons

This place is 100 lawsuits waiting to happen. I couldn't believe the amount of immaturity, unprofessionalism and corruption I witnessed from upper management on a day-to-day basis. This company is run by a network of good ol boys, 50 plus in age who just won't retire and continue to take the company down a very negative path. They have successfully cultivated a crooked culture of looking the other way when something iffy happens and HR is powerless to do anything about it. Young employees are treated poorly. You are faced with the decision to put your head down and tough it out or quit. Diversity (or lack thereof) is still a real issue especially in the field where racial tensions are still an issue. Because Williams has become so incestuous (many engineers and employees are hired because of family/friend ties), that leaves about 10% of the employees doing 80% of the work.

Retire. And let the few bright young employees you hired take your place. Stop making hiring and promoting decisions based on personal ties. Allow HR to do their job. Empower them. I worked here 4 years and not once did I meet my HR rep. They are just as scared as us employees to take any action.

Worked for Williams? Contribute to the Community!