Williams Reviews

Updated March 19, 2015
84 reviews filtered by
3.9
Williams President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Williams Partners Alan S. Armstrong
Alan S. Armstrong

Pros
  • Work-life balance is very reasonable for most positions (in 15 reviews)

• Benefits are great dollar for dollar match for up to 6% of salary (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The good old boy network is alive and well here (in 4 reviews)

• There's a perception in some areas of a good-ol'-boy network (in 4 reviews)

1. Horrible company plagued with politics and hypocrisy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Williams full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I can't think of a single good thing. I would say benefits but the group that runs benefits are so deceitful and evil that it diminishes anything good

Cons

People are only looking out for themselves. It's a CYA company to the core. If you haven't been stabbed in the back yet, just stay a while. Your turn will come. It's unfortunate that a company could operate that way. Save yourself and do not try and work here.

Lead

Welcome to the Boys Club

Current Employee - Engineer III
    Current Employee - Engineer III

I have been working at Williams full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

On the outset Williams is a great company to work for. You can get hired easily if you know someone. Relatives, especially sons and daughters are automatic hires. Pay is average with the industry, benefits are good and the work is easy. You can get away with doing almost nothing for your entire career here and never get fired. I knew of several employees personally who were doing just that. It's a widespread issue throughout the company. (Type A personalities stay away!)

Cons

This place is 100 lawsuits waiting to happen. I couldn't believe the amount of immaturity, unprofessionalism and corruption I witnessed from upper management on a day-to-day basis. This company is run by a network of good ol boys, 50 plus in age who just won't retire and continue to take the company down a very negative path. They have successfully cultivated a crooked culture of looking the other way when something iffy happens and HR is powerless to do anything about it. Young employees are treated poorly. You are faced with the decision to put your head down and tough it out or quit. Diversity (or lack thereof) is still a real issue especially in the field where racial tensions are still an issue. Because Williams has become so incestuous (many engineers and employees are hired because of family/friend ties), that leaves about 10% of the employees doing 80% of the work.

Retire. And let the few bright young employees you hired take your place. Stop making hiring and promoting decisions based on personal ties. Allow HR to do their job. Empower them. I worked here 4 years and not once did I meet my HR rep. They are just as scared as us employees to take any action.

3. They sell a dream and don't deliver

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Tulsa, OK
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Williams as a contractor

Pros

They are very well rescpected in the community.

Cons

They have awful managers that work there. They think they are the only player in town. Sell contractors on becoming fulltime then string them along.

Will also rescind offers if they don't get their way!!!

HR needs to provide the proper training to hring managers on actual ethical hiring practices.....Once you make offers to people you should not rescind them for trival reasons!!!

5. Disgusted

Former Employee - Customer Support in Colton, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Colton, CA

I worked at Williams full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Meet a few nice people

Cons

Very poor quality in management.

Better follow through

Horrible time - Manager has no business being Manager. Office politics and back-stabbing rule. Avoid at all costs.

Current Employee - Land
    Current Employee - Land

I have been working at Williams full-time

Pros

None. Working here has been a waste of time.

Cons

One of the worst places I have worked. Professional development does not exist. Support does jot exist. Number one rule - follow office politics. Inefficient use of employees and resources. Employees treated horribly and not trusted. Offices disorganized and technically "in the dark ages". Number two rule - trust no one.

Stop having non-qualified managers and supervisors acting as managers and supervisors.

7. IT Programmer

I worked at Williams

Pros

Salary and benefits were OK

Cons

Really bad Management and culture

8. It's a "Good Ole Boy" members only club.

Current Employee - One of the Specialist With No Career in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - One of the Specialist With No Career in Houston, TX

I have been working at Williams full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People in the field are generally good to work with, at least in my department. Good medical insurance generally. Flex hours are good.

Cons

The general upper level management is only partly effective. General management knowledge is lacking yet some steps have been implemented lately to attempt to change this downfall. Most managers lack general management knowledge altogether. Very few have had one management course and it shows. Technically good but lacking in management. The culture is one of "a good ole boy" network. If your an engineer, your basically in unless you step on the wrong toes. Business and other majors are out and the "Iron Curtain" line is clearly see even by the blindest of employees. Career opportunities are limited as a result. No concern for those in the specialist fields. Disregard for them exist everywhere. Some managers even refuse to associate with other managers. Really bad culture in this respect. Salaries are lower than the industry average yet it is pushed by management that we pay "market value" on salaries. Not so!

Get an MBA. You guys need it. Work life balance suffers at times and this is something you need to change now.

Okay company but not very progressive

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Williams full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice facilities, decent benefits but nothing particularly special

Cons

Poor pay and bad morale

Get a clue

10. It's been fine.

I have been working at Williams

Pros

The best part about working at Williams is my co-workers. My shift is a well-knit group that doesn't mind helping each other.

Cons

The lack of overtime and the limited use of vacation time to control overtime. Also, the lady few years, pay raises have been small.

The management can address the vacation usage, loosening of the overtime, and larger pay raises. This would go a long way toward employee morale.

11. The epitome of Status Quo

Current Employee - Systems Analyst Consultant in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst Consultant in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Williams

Pros

Work-life balance. Almost impossible to get fired. No pressure to actually do anything.

Cons

HR input into non-HR areas is out-of-control (career path, job requirements, salary)
    Internally terrified to anything "social media" oriented.
    Too much focus on activity and not results.
    Would rather reach consensus than implement anything meaningful.
    Leadership is non-existent; no strategic plan, no focus on results or goals.

Fire some people once and awhile. Make people do their jobs. Quit being scared of growing. Define actual "strategies" rather than continued misuse of the word.