Williams Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
3.9
Williams President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Williams Partners Alan S. Armstrong
Alan S. Armstrong

Pros
  • work life balance was acceptable (in 15 reviews)

• Benefits are great dollar for dollar match for up to 6% of salary (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There's a perception in some areas of a good-ol'-boy network (in 4 reviews)

• Good ol' boys network of promotion (in 3 reviews)

1. Old company, antiquated ways

Current Employee - Oklahoma in Elk City, OK
    Current Employee - Oklahoma in Elk City, OK

I have been working at Williams (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to come to work, do nothing innovative, nor be involved with new and advancing procedures or technologies and just want a paycheck for life, this is your place. But with the buyout destined to complete shortly, most of the company will be sold off, the culture will vanish with the upcoming layoffs and this review will cease to matter.

Cons

Pay is much lower than comparative oil and gas companies in the area. Bonuses are terribly below similar companies bonuses. Poor management with no accountability. Offices are deeply disconnected from one another. Culture between teams is terribly siloed with poor communication.

Advice to Management

Make teams accountable for failures. Implement lessons learned after project completion. Upgrade safety to all sites according to FERC regulations; cameras, communications, etc. Use technology in HR and company wide instead of pens and paper.

Horrible company plagued with politics and hypocrisy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Williams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of a single good thing. I would say benefits but the group that runs benefits are so deceitful and evil that it diminishes anything good

Cons

People are only looking out for themselves. It's a CYA company to the core. If you haven't been stabbed in the back yet, just stay a while. Your turn will come. It's unfortunate that a company could operate that way. Save yourself and do not try and work here.

Advice to Management

Lead

Welcome to the Boys Club

Current Employee - Engineer III
    Current Employee - Engineer III

I have been working at Williams full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On the outset Williams is a great company to work for. You can get hired easily if you know someone. Relatives, especially sons and daughters are automatic hires. Pay is average with the industry, benefits are good and the work is easy. You can get away with doing almost nothing for your entire career here and never get fired. I knew of several employees personally who were doing just that. It's a widespread issue throughout the company. (Type A personalities stay away!)

Cons

This place is 100 lawsuits waiting to happen. I couldn't believe the amount of immaturity, unprofessionalism and corruption I witnessed from upper management on a day-to-day basis. This company is run by a network of good ol boys, 50 plus in age who just won't retire and continue to take the company down a very negative path. They have successfully cultivated a crooked culture of looking the other way when something iffy happens and HR is powerless to do anything about it. Young employees are treated poorly. You are faced with the decision to put your head down and tough it out or quit. Diversity (or lack thereof) is still a real issue especially in the field where racial tensions are still an issue. Because Williams has become so incestuous (many engineers and employees are hired because of family/friend ties), that leaves about 10% of the employees doing 80% of the work.

Advice to Management

Retire. And let the few bright young employees you hired take your place. Stop making hiring and promoting decisions based on personal ties. Allow HR to do their job. Empower them. I worked here 4 years and not once did I meet my HR rep. They are just as scared as us employees to take any action.

Disgusted

Former Employee - Customer Support in Colton, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Colton, CA

I worked at Williams full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meet a few nice people

Cons

Very poor quality in management.

Advice to Management

Better follow through

Horrible time - Manager has no business being Manager. Office politics and back-stabbing rule. Avoid at all costs.

Current Employee - Land
    Current Employee - Land

I have been working at Williams full-time

Pros

None. Working here has been a waste of time.

Cons

One of the worst places I have worked. Professional development does not exist. Support does jot exist. Number one rule - follow office politics. Inefficient use of employees and resources. Employees treated horribly and not trusted. Offices disorganized and technically "in the dark ages". Number two rule - trust no one.

Advice to Management

Stop having non-qualified managers and supervisors acting as managers and supervisors.

7. Support Staff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Williams full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Current and updated computer and computer software systems.

Cons

Colleagues are rude and unprofessional. Micro-managing is horrible.

Advice to Management

Teach employees not to cause a hostile work environment. Do not allow bad behavior

Good ole Boy company.

Current Employee - Non Good Ole Boy in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Non Good Ole Boy in Houston, TX

I have been working at Williams full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very little. The slander and bias nature must stop for any real Pros to exist here.

Cons

This place is noting but a good ole boy network. If you're in the click group, meaning you keep your nose clean and go along with everything, even when its clearly unethical, you're in. Otherwise, out yet this depends upon your major in college to a great extent. Very biased towards engineering staff, not business or any other majors unless you happen to be a good ole boy.

Advice to Management

Productivity is bad due to the good ole boy culture which exists everywhere. Stop your biased preferences and watch the company really grow. Boneheads.

IT Programmer

I worked at Williams

Pros

Salary and benefits were OK

Cons

Really bad Management and culture

Okay company but not very progressive

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Williams full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice facilities, decent benefits but nothing particularly special

Cons

Poor pay and bad morale

Advice to Management

Get a clue

11. It's been fine.

I have been working at Williams

Pros

The best part about working at Williams is my co-workers. My shift is a well-knit group that doesn't mind helping each other.

Cons

The lack of overtime and the limited use of vacation time to control overtime. Also, the lady few years, pay raises have been small.

Advice to Management

The management can address the vacation usage, loosening of the overtime, and larger pay raises. This would go a long way toward employee morale.

RSS Feed </> Embed