Williams Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
3.6

Williams President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Williams Partners Alan S. Armstrong
Alan S. Armstrong

Pros
  • Work-life balance is very reasonable for most positions (in 13 reviews)

• Benefits are great dollar for dollar match for up to 6% of salary (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The good old boy network is alive and well here (in 4 reviews)

• There's a perception in some areas of a good-ol'-boy network (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great employees and benefits

Former Employee - IT Analyst III in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT Analyst III in Houston, TX

I worked at Williams full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved the benefits the company offered their employees. Great environment and people.

Cons

Like large companies they tend to pigeon hole you to your skill sets that you were hired for. Their salary was a little lower then what market was paying.

Internship

Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Intern in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Intern in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Williams full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great mentorship system, and people were generally happy!

Cons

Not enough challenging work at times.

good place to work

I have been working at Williams

Pros

Lots of good people, a decent community focus, and treated with respect.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities in many areas. People tend to stay in jobs for long periods of times.

Great opportunity for growth

Former Employee - Industrial Hygiene Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Industrial Hygiene Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Williams as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I absolutely loved my internship at Williams but it is probably not for all. I was in an advanced internship and was given a lot of freedom and little supervision. Other interns did have much more structured internships however. I was given goals at the beginning of the summer and had to provide progress reports throughout the summer. It allowed me to let my project management skills shine. I learned a lot about the natural gas industry and gained experience that has been extremely valuable for me in my job hunt. Lots of travel and the company provided comfortable accommodations. High value on health and safety. Williams is very big on personal development and being family friendly which is great. Good involvement in the community as well.

Cons

Travel got old after a while. There are some lingering issues following the reorganization of the company several years back that cause some problems from time to time but overall a good work environment with good people.

Continue to develop talent inside the company...I think the loyalty I saw was great and I'd hate to see that disappear.

Welcome to the Boys Club

Current Employee - Engineer III
    Current Employee - Engineer III

I have been working at Williams full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

On the outset Williams is a great company to work for. You can get hired easily if you know someone. Relatives, especially sons and daughters are automatic hires. Pay is average with the industry, benefits are good and the work is easy. You can get away with doing almost nothing for your entire career here and never get fired. I knew of several employees personally who were doing just that. It's a widespread issue throughout the company. (Type A personalities stay away!)

Cons

This place is 100 lawsuits waiting to happen. I couldn't believe the amount of immaturity, unprofessionalism and corruption I witnessed from upper management on a day-to-day basis. This company is run by a network of good ol boys, 50 plus in age who just won't retire and continue to take the company down a very negative path. They have successfully cultivated a crooked culture of looking the other way when something iffy happens and HR is powerless to do anything about it. Young employees are treated poorly. You are faced with the decision to put your head down and tough it out or quit. Diversity (or lack thereof) is still a real issue especially in the field where racial tensions are still an issue. Because Williams has become so incestuous (many engineers and employees are hired because of family/friend ties), that leaves about 10% of the employees doing 80% of the work.

Retire. And let the few bright young employees you hired take your place. Stop making hiring and promoting decisions based on personal ties. Allow HR to do their job. Empower them. I worked here 4 years and not once did I meet my HR rep. They are just as scared as us employees to take any action.

Williams review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Williams full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary + bonus potential, environment, CEO, pension plan

Cons

Good O'Boy environment and attitude. HR Leadership are somewhat unapproachable , location

Worked for Williams for many, many years in Operations positions and it is an ok place to work.

Former Employee - Various in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Various in Portland, OR

I worked at Williams full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of job freedom without direct supervision on a daily basis. Good benefits and pay but lousy perks for Manager and above positions. Great job security. Interesting work for the most part. Huge geographical area of Operations you can work just about anywhere in the USA if they have openings.

Cons

Managers, Directors and Vice Presidents are mostly lackluster for a company of this size. Lousy performance review system and pay metrics associated with it. Williams isn't understaffed but have a lot of dead weight around. It is almost impossible to get fired there and everyone knows that and use it to their advantage often.

Get rid of the dead weight and hire people that would appreciate working for a company like this.

I completed an engineeering internship with this company.

I worked at Williams as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There are some very intelegint and driven people that work for this company. The support system and resources that are available are both incredible and easy to access. Discounted stock purchase available for employees.

Cons

The internship lacked hands on experience. Some locations are isolated. Some managers are better engineers than they are bosses. The job was extremely boring at times. Otherwise a great company.

Let interns work with oprators and spend more time at facilities or in the field. Tulsa needs more people with facility exprience.

Summer Intern

Current Employee - Engineer in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Engineer in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Williams as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, great people, got to travel all over the country

Cons

Lack of direction, poor communication,

Williams is an awesome company to work for.

Current Employee - Engineer I in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Williams full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Williams understands the value that employees bring to the organization and respect a healthy work life balance. The work environment is positive and enjoyable. There seem to be career and personal development opportunities including education reimbursement. The stability of the oil and Gas industry is also a great benefit!

Cons

For the most part the work is not highly technical.

Keep up the great work.