Williams Scotsman Reviews

Jean-Marc Germain

1. The experience was exceptional and went down hill after many changes

Former Employee - Sales in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales in Tampa, FL

I worked at Williams Scotsman full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The staff I worked with was exceptional. The sales staff had a high turnover rate, do to poor training and high expectations.

Cons

I am not sure how base salaries were determined and people with no experience were being hired and almost double what current employees were making. Current commission structure.

Advice to Management

Train your people properly and continue to monitor their performance

2. Senior Account Manager

I worked at Williams Scotsman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great People, Good Comp Plan

Cons

Revolving door of management and support team. Inner Office Conflict between admin staff, operations, and sales. Understaffed service and administrative support team.

Advice to Management

Re-assess the focus on internal administrative and service support staff, leaner is not always better. Extreme workloads turn to burnt out employees and mistakes, in turn leading to a lack of customer service and responsiveness to clients. Non-Existent employee training and a focus on working with employees to improve on their strengths.

3. Great people

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Williams Scotsman

Pros

The executive management team members are personable, the company seems to treat their employees fairly in most dept (HR however still could use some work), and the pay is comparable to the market.

Cons

There are a limited amount of opportunities to advance.

5. Mixed Bag - Far from a well run company

I have been working at Williams Scotsman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefit package pretty good at a somewhat decent price.

Cons

While the company added two additional paid holidays in 2015, the "end does not justify the means". We are treated unfairly for most of the year then they feel by giving two vacation days makes it all good!!! Always working in a crises mode.

Advice to Management

When visiting a branch, attempt to say hi to everyone and mention that you appreciate our efforts.

Company on the decline ruled by fear

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Williams Scotsman

Pros

Decent base salary, good co workers

Cons

Terrible commission structure, poor management and decision making from managers, over priced inventory, we live in fear that we will be fired over the littlest of things. Very little career opportunities.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees right so they don't leave to a competitor. Stop ruling by fear and making poor decisions.

7. Great Pay, hard work, Great coworkers

Current Employee - Carpenter
    Current Employee - Carpenter

I have been working at Williams Scotsman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is great and management is professional and great to work with

Cons

out of town travel which leads to a bit of a lack of family time

Advice to Management

Be more organized with your scheduling

I worked at Williams Scotsman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits life insurance dental as well as 14 paid holidays and sick personal and vacation days

Cons

Horrible communication between field operations and management including distpachers with no sense of direction or knowledge of trucking and hauling oversized loads. Equipment is subpar and needs constant attention. Pay scale is just OK more suitable for a rookie driver . Non union shop that works on union sites causing problems at times .

Advice to Management

Get with modern times saftey first. Hire people qualified to handle the position they are in .

9. Not Team Oriented & Lacks Employee Investment

I worked at Williams Scotsman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Total control of one's assignments and ability to recommend changes to improve the current environment (they are dependant on your creativity). Management allows and expects you to be ever vocal via meeting invitations and conference calls to address project issues. (This applies even if you're a new hire and they expect you to magically know/understand everything). Lunches and snacks are provided which is expected in a corporate setting to usually accommodate an event or scheduled task.

Cons

Total disregard by IT department to fully invest in a new hire and render the necessary tools/resources to allow them to get familiarized with the environment. This lack of transparency is further fueled by fellow team members who possess "senior level" roles and who pride in their experience and judge you on your deficiencies. They wait for you to make mistakes or say "I don't know" and report it to management behind your back. Don't really know who has your back here unless you "fit in" with everyone else. Sadly, I have never seen such a poorly managed and politically motivated IT department anywhere. The point is to have a teamwork oriented, unbiased environment that is condusive to employee growth and success.

Advice to Management

If you don't like someone, don't hire them. Don't bring them onboard, give them (mental) hell, and then let go of them afterwards. And if you hire anyone, please give them a change to learn your environment by providing them the resources/time needed to achieve this like any other normal company out there.

Only getting better and should have stayed with the organization

I worked at Williams Scotsman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Long history, leader in the modular industry, trend-setter and contributor to the overall industry.

Cons

New leadership did not seem to listen to tenured employees or colleagues with greater industry experience. As many were from outside service industries, they would have benefited from taking in feedback prior to making decisions.

A lot of changes over the years.

Former Employee - Branch Sales Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Branch Sales Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Williams Scotsman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For the most part I wasn't micro managed and had authority to run my team the way I thought was best for the company and employees alike.

Cons

Upper management seemed to avoid uncovering the truth - not asking the tough questions; instead listening to unfounded hear-say.

Advice to Management

Have more one-on-one time with you employees and follow that up with some direct contact with their day to day work and challenges.

Williams Scotsman Photos