Williams-Sonoma

Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber

Laura J. Alber

Pros:
  • "Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store"
    in 72 reviews
  • "generous employee discount for sales associates and lovely fellow associates"
    in 45 reviews
Cons:
  • "Time off was hard to come by, work/life balance very difficult to achieve"
    in 21 reviews
  • "The current upper management does not appear to care about the employees or their customers"
    in 30 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Decent work/life balance, however heavy on tenured talent which makes it difficult to move up.

Control Buyer (Former Employee)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

ProsRelative to other employers I have had, the work/life balance is healthy. Benefits were great.

ConsThe company operates from a defensive position. New ideas are not always welcomed. Salary was lower than most other retailers in the area, which contributed to loss of talent. Tenure dominates promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease average salary at the associate level to retain talent.

Great co-workers, but the company needs to find direction

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat co-workers, educational experience, good starter job to move on from.

Consno part-time benefits, no full-time position unless you're management, company loosing sight of it's market.

Good

Gift Wrap (Current Employee)
Leawood, KS

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for less than a year

ProsThe discount is why most women work there.

ConsScheduling needs to be in advance. It is not fair to ask part time employees to live their life around Williams-Sonoma. There needs to be a cleaning crew that comes in the store and not rely on employees. The store is dirty! Pay attention and fix the problems. Many full time employees have left this particular store!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take advantage of housewives that live in your community and just want to help out during the holidays. Be more respectful of their time and your current employees time, by scheduling shifts in advance.

marketing dept

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

Prosfair compensation overall and all-year long summer fridays

Consmanagement needs improvement, marketing strategies not well planned

Disappointing

Furniture Associate (Current Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

ProsFree coffee, lots of parking, beautiful location, the paychecks clear every two weeks, free tea, the temperature in the building is always set to a decent level, there is always someone cleaning.

ConsNo room for advancement unless you are hand selected, too many cliques, no recognition, low pay, antiquated practices and policies, inept training department, favoritism, indirect discrimination, no intra-department communication, disinterested management, no clear leader, disorganized, and zero respect for those who truly care about the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart a leadership program for your existing "leaders". Recognize those who work hard.

they don't pay contractors for all their hours

Database Marketing Contractor (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma as a contractor for more than a year

Prosthere is nothing positive about working at this place aside you will get nice experience and you can have as much as responsibility as you please

Consno opportunities to move around within the company, you will be in the same position for infinity and beyond, director level and above are the only ones who recieve bonues, they don't pay contractors for all hours works and they made me cry on purpose several times, oh and my manager loved yelling at me across the office - this place is kind of nuts, a silent war, unless being screamed at

Advice to Senior Managementgo to hell

WilliamsSonoma Inc is a company where your passion for getting results and developing people are recognized and rewarded

District Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThere is an entrepenural spirit at WSI that allows you to take risks and be a true pioneer with growing the business.

ConsTechnology has some opportunities. We could use faster internet systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue being open to employee feedback. They love when you value their opinions and will work that much harder for approachable leaders.

Manager

Manager (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMostly great people; fantastic discount; recognition from senior management when you perform well; innovative;.

ConsChange can come slowly depending on the department you work in. As large as the company is, it can't be as nimble as it needs to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out in the field more often. Front line workers often have the best perspective - pay attention to what they have to say.

A micro-managing nightmare!

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDiscount is great! I really enjoyed working and merchandising in a beautiful store. I had some wonderful co-workers- a true family- and team of people that really care about one another and their customers. Store was positioned in a great shopping center with great store hours.

ConsI cannot speak for the company, but my region/location was a micro-management NIGHTMARE. Entirely too many conference calls, voice recordings, sending pictures everyday, submitting weekly/daily/hour recaps to DM etc. This "noise" took SO much of my time as a manager away from the sales floor- and away from what really matters the most- my customers and associates. Goals are absolutely unattainable- especially for the location I worked in saw only about 15 customers a day. WS needs to do a better job of creating marketing elements to drive customers in OTHER than sending too many emails /coupons customers. Upper management never visits the stores- causing a complete disconnect from stores to corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate all the unnecessary tasks being assigned from the DM and utilize that time to EMPOWER your teams to create different ways of bringing traffic into the store, and growing the business. Build a payroll model that is based upon workload. When shipment is doubled or tripled, payroll should match the workload to process it. Do a better job communicating vision/ goals for the company and ALWAYS remember your people FIRST.

Exciting company to work for!

Corp (Current Employee)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI have never worked for an organization where I have had so much engagement, opportunity, and positive challenge. Everyday is an adventure

ConsI just wish I had more time in the day

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing us, encouraging us, and allowing us to be inventive.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Williams-Sonoma reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Williams-Sonoma CEO Laura J. Alber. All 531 reviews posted anonymously by Williams-Sonoma employees.