Williams-Sonoma

Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber

Laura J. Alber

Pros:
  • "Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store"
    in 80 reviews
  • "Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales"
    in 48 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is truly no work/life balance here - despite what they say"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Disconnect between reality in the stores and what upper management thinks/dreams"
    in 32 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great opportunity, average experience

Senior Buyer (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsFantastic product knowledge, talented design teams

ConsTerrible environment. Leadership was weak, not engaged or inspiring. People were miserable across many different teams, did not respect sr. leadership and decision-making. Processes are antiquated,

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop and pay attention to your leaders

Don't do it!

ProsIts great if you like pots and pans. Old lady customer base can be annoying and demanding at times. Overall product is tollerable.

ConsStore manger is awful. She is never thare. She talks on the phone all day.She is not qualified for position she should work at a carnaval.DSM is even worse no one wants to work for him he has no idea how to do his job.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house!

Worse Experience Ever

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay, decent benefits, good discount, gain tons of experience, opportunity to travel and corporate really focuses on motivating stores.

ConsLack of technology, physically demanding, frequent micro managing and corporate visits, minimal payroll and poor product quality. Some racism against minorities and unprofessional work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on developing from top to bottom to bottom to top, invest some money in your buildings

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Didn't like it. Poor pay, poor understanding of employees needs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Crystal Cove, CA

ProsGreat discount, some nice fellow associates, nice location

Constrying to make a living on $9.00 an hour, your feet will kill you, you don't get many hours a week as a part time employee maybe 4-8, no one will switch shifts with you

Advice to Senior Managementfigure out a away to post the schedule earlier for p/t ee's, try not to laugh at the newbies, try to make the compensation better, have time to listen to feed back, give exit interviews

Amazing Company All Concepts

District Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe entire company works hard to protect it's great culture . Vicki is always looking for new ideas on how to make the associates environment the best . Open door policy is owned at every level . Great Product Great discount Great contests .

ConsNot enough time in the day ! So many new great roll outs stores struggle ( but want to ) keep up

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's already been shared

Overworked and Underpaid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThe discount and the food samples.

ConsThe tedious deadlines, the wasted time in large meetings, last minute fire-drills, the 50 analysis projects only to have your manager tell you, you should have looked at this instead. The lack of communication and expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck in with employees, ask if they need guidance, what are they working on. Share your opinions and ask for theirs.

Manager

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people work here and make the job fun! The product is great and the discount helps!

ConsThis is a very complex job with high expectations. The stores struggle with payroll and it difficult to deliver all lever. You do have enough associates working to get the job done!! Upper management doesn't great it...clueless!

Advice to Senior ManagementStretching people is ok but not to the point that there is nothing left! No work live balance will ever be achieved working here if things do not change! Live in reality! Give stores some payroll!

Great Place until Philosophy Changed

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Edina, MN

ProsGreat products, awesome discount.

ConsManagement always under pressure from above. Too much micro-managing of mature employees. Inflexible regarding work schedules.

Great place to work.

Buyer (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsI met smart, wonderful funny people while working at the corporate office. There was a great focus on customer service and employee education.

ConsThe company felt less personal as it continued to grow.

It was a ok experience, but I felt like so creatively stifled!

Internet Design Coordinator (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat discounts on all the amazing products were obviously a perk. I love going to the employee warehouse sales. There were some great deals at those, but only if you got a good lottery number. Good benefits for the most part, I thought their PTO was a little stingy and slow to accumulate.

ConsIf you are a creative and depending on your level on a particular team within the WSI umbrella you will be doing the EXACT SAME THING FOREVER. Then don't even get me started on the the higher ups there. The creative directors really only cared about one thing and that was what the merchandisers had to say (at least on my particular team). Unfortunately, during my time there I had to work under a manager who was completely under qualified for the position, which was very frustrating to work for, when you know he/she is doing something incorrectly.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously vet the creative managers you put in place and push the envelope a bit more creatively. Also, "the cave" seems like a good idea in theory, but I seriously though I needed a sun lamp at times, because of the remote placement of the room.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Williams-Sonoma reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Williams-Sonoma CEO Laura J. Alber. All 569 reviews posted anonymously by Williams-Sonoma employees.