Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Reset
2.6
Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great Product Great discount Great contests (in 87 reviews)

• Work life balance - is great as long as you get what you need done (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Do not work for this company if you value a work life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Upper management always want more but don't pay more (in 39 reviews)

1. A good place for a seasonal job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers are friendly and fair. They rotate your duties through out the day so you aren't always standing in the same place or doing the same thing. Competitive pay. If you do an exemplary job as a seasonal associate, they will hire you on a regular basis.

Cons

As a seasonal associate, they don't tend to guarantee you a certain number of hours each scheduling period. I was happy with the hours that I received, but I had co-workers who were not. You will have to learn to gift wrap.

Never Enough Sales Coverage

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Huntington Station, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Huntington Station, NY

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can move up with this company very quickly. They offer a great company discount and make nice merchandise.

Cons

When you do move up you realize, the few extra dollars they throw at you is no where near equivalent to the overload or work and responsibilities you are required to comply with. There is never enough payroll to support the sales floor and your constantly forced to cut payroll. It's ridiculous. Managers get screwed the most by this company. Here's an example of a typical day at work for me: Run the sales floor in a combined store (so technically 2 separate units) with 2 sales people and MAYBE 1 stock associate. -The phone rings non stop and your constantly answering the phones while trying to assist customers. Usually ruining their entire shopping experience because, the person on the phone doesn't understand that their people in the store that need help as well. -At some point in the day I have a conference call that usually lasts for about an hour. -Visual displays are elaborate with NO VISUAL team to execute so management is left to do most of it. All while trying to help guest durning business hours. The company doesn't believe in doing overnights. -The company is now so promo driven, their like the "Macy's" of furniture. Customers are constantly begging for coupons and asking for discounts their not entitled to. -I've been there for 3 years and I have yet to take a sick day or a proper vacation. -A lot of customer service issues and Customer Service call centers are not properly trained and in many cases unhelpful. -Free in home design service program was not properly thought out and is becoming such a problem but, managers are all afraid to speak out about it.

Advice to Management

Try being "Undercover Boss" for a week to see how your stores are really operated on a day to day. Every scenario is different and the only way you can't truly understand YOUR company is to be an associate/store manager for a week with an associate/store managers pay wage.

Visual Merchandising Role

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employees have great growth potential if they are willing to grow up through the traditional store-management path, or if they live in San Francisco and want to work for the corporate offices. Most people are very excited to work there and are usually pretty knowledgable about kitchen things. The discount is great and fortunately applies to every one of WSI's brands, so you can pretty much outfit an entire home through the company if you wanted to.

Cons

The pay is retail pay, and often lower than that of competitors. There is no field infrastructure, and associates are expected to perform all tasks all the time, so if you want to move into, say, a field visual position, it's virtually impossible. Moreover, managers are biased––great thing if they like you, not so great if they don't, regardless of the quality of your work. The lack of field management infrastructure often leaves stores unsupported by corporate, so the consistency of the brand varies tremendously from store to store, which doesn't look so great for the brand as a whole and often undermines the quality of the product.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff! Reward them adequately for their work! Create real opportunities and paths for growth, so that the sales associate positions aren't such dead-end jobs. A lot of young people who come to the company are hoping to move up, and they don't necessarily want to move to San Francisco to do that.

5. Williams Sonoma All Brand Review

Former Employee - General Manager in Ridgewood, NY
    Former Employee - General Manager in Ridgewood, NY

I worked at Williams-Sonoma (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount, quality products, committed leadership, knowledgeable and tenured teams.

Cons

Insufficient work/life balance, extreme work load, inadequate payroll hours, great training tools but no time allotted

6. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Short Hills, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Short Hills, NJ

Pros

Lovely work environment. Amazing store discount.

Cons

Never let me work 40 hours per week. Always kept me at 35 hours.

7. Great Company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Teaneck, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Teaneck, NJ

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, managers are very friendly and willing to coach their associated effectively.

Cons

As every retail, part-time job the hours were not guaranteed.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, it was a great experience to work for West Elm I learned a lot.

8. Sales Associate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Short Hills, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Short Hills, NJ

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice discount. Current management is pleasant.

Cons

There has been an incredible push by management lately to make goals: sales per hour, units per transaction, average order size (per sales transaction), email capture percentage, clientelling percentage, scheduling in-home visits, connecting with customers through the poorly-designed "clientelling" system, adding customers to the clientelling system, selling credit cards, and the list goes on. The pressure is on for associates at William-Sonoma. And with all the pressure we were rewarded with 10 cents an hour as a raise. This is especially upsetting when people who were hired in this year are making more what I am after 5 years of service and the people who are hired in last year are making more.

Advice to Management

Maybe poor sales is not the fault of your part-time employees who are working their hardest, check your business model.

Good team and experience!

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of knowledgeable people within each department who are always willing to help out when they can or when time permits. Great company culture, the focus on products that are sourced locally, that are fair trade, and partnering with companies that have good labor practices is something I felt good to be apart of.

Cons

At times, micromanagement can be an issue that interferes with getting work done although that depends on the department and not a reflection on the company as a whole.

Great opportunities across all WSI brands but lacks cross channel structure

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, good discounts, and cross brand opportunities

Cons

Lack Of Structure leads to high turnover

Advice to Management

Share Information Cross Channel

Great co-workers, but the company needs to find direction

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, educational experience, good starter job to move on from.

Cons

no part-time benefits, no full-time position unless you're management, company loosing sight of it's market.

RSS Feed </> Embed