Williams-Sonoma

Updated December 9, 2014
2.8

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 87 reviews)

• Work life balance - is great as long as you get what you need done (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is often unbalanced especially during the holiday seasons (in 31 reviews)

• Upper management never visits the stores- causing a complete disconnect from stores to corporate (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

I was only able to work there for a year, due to health issues, but they really take care of their employees.

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Jeffersonville, OH
    Former Employee - Unit Manager in Jeffersonville, OH

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a wonderful work environment. The management really cares about the employees. The benefits are wonderful and if you are lucky enough to be part of the management team, you are covered from day one with your benefits.

Cons

It can be challenging working retail. Your schedule is never the same from one week to the next. It can also be very physical working and stocking shelves, lifting and pulling on a concrete floor.

Working for Williams-Sonoma I was a material Handler it include the daily requisition of making sure all materials .

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a very good job to have and to work for very friendly and very good pay.

Cons

My job was only temp.

Work hard and you will enjoy the company.

Amazing organization with great leadership on all levels. Ability to grow.

Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time

Pros

Williams-Sonoma has been nothing but a great experience for myself. From challenging me to be a better leader in my business to giving me the ability to make decisions in my space that I need. Within the WSI brand family there are many different promotion opportunities. The organization believes in their people and putting the people in the right places. Cross branding employees is extremely important to leverage the high-caliber talent within the company. I would personally recommend William Sonoma to anyone looking to eagerly grow with an organization. Leadership on every level from the district manager, regional vice president's, Director of stores , president and CEO they are all extremely engaged and the everyday practice of the stores. They are "hands on" and focused on making WSI a better place for both internal and external customer.

Cons

The technology could definitely use an update. I would like to see the organization spend the money updating stores scheduling system as well as register system to maximize the profitability and increasing the ability to engage the customers better. Within a world of leading technology as a retailer of high-end goods we should be a little bit more in sync with technology. Retail is always a high demand job so they're always challenges but staying positive and working through your people are always the answer.

Continue what you're doing associate opinion surveys are great and we appreciate you using the outcome of those surveys to better the organization.

Good place for dedicated teams.

Current Employee - Store Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Store Leader in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong heritage culture, and customers are very appreciated and valued. The culinary culture is rich, and management wants people to succeed.

Cons

We work hard, and always ask people to improve

We could use more diversity and inclusion

District Manager that has been with WSI for more than 5 years.

Current Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company truly supports internal succession and career advancement. If you are ready to take that next step they will find the right spot for you, even with another brand within the organization, as I have experienced first hand. Stores are given the freedom to think on their feet and make the right decision for the guest. The overall atmosphere is very entrepreneurial and you feel very empowered by the leadership team. This has kept me engaged and excited in the fact that I can help steer the company in a new direction!

Cons

We run complex stores and sometimes the list of To-Do's and the companies expectation can overburdon our team. The trick is to work through your people, not doing it all yourself, and everything will fall into place.

Please continue to listen to and invest in the field team and stores. Over the past few years the changes we have all implemented together, corporate and field, has built the confidence of our associates and given them the tools to hit their goals.

A happy new hire

Current Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been with the Pottery Barn Kids brand for 8 months now. I was at another retailer for many years. What I have found most refreshing here is that I I feel appreciated and recognized for my hard work and results. Top management stays close to the Associates in the field and stay connected and engaged. Successful companies are those where top managers never allow themselves to get removed from the customer. They truly care about the people that work here. They care tremendously! I love the people in every WSI brand. If you want to be a part of a team with mutual respect and trust, this is the place! It is proven that the number 1 reason people leave their job is they don't feel appreciated. I am motivated to work hard and deliver strong results and contribute to the overall success because I feel that I matter and feel supported.

Cons

It's a lot of hard work but because the people are amazing and I have the best boss ever!!! It doesn't seem like work at all!

Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Senior management seems committed to carrying the vision Chuck Williams had 50+ years ago. People are proud of the work they do and the products they offer to customers. A big per, of course, is the employee discount.

Cons

Some of the systems are a bit antiquated. But it could be a "if it isn't broken don't fix it" type thing.

Perhaps consider flex-time or go back to offering early Fridays.

Very engaging company, motivating and authentic. Listens to individuals and their goals and encourages teams.

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very inspiring company, you can contribute and bring your ideas. Room to dream and grow. Honest candid feedback for your future development. You are encouraged to drive your business and are rewarded. Working here is inspiring and challenging and cutting edge for retail and ecom. You get to run your part of the business with support.

Cons

Moving faster than we can develop leaders. All teams must ramp up to bring along future leaders the company is young and thriving and needs innovative thinkers.

Continue to seek out and ask for innovative ideas. Great company for women very supportive. Love the people first culture. Continue to push for diversity and inclusion it is a great match with company goals.

Fun and generous company to work for

Former Employee - Coordinator in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Akron, OH

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, culture, leadership, perks, discounts, rewards for contests, work life balance, bonuses, fun environment, training, scheduling, diversity, atmosphere, overall a great place to work!!!

Cons

High end prices mean High end customers who tend to be more picky. For instance, we would have customers who obviously misused a piece of cookware that they bought 10+ years ago and expect replacement.

Dont have employees shop for food off the clock, that is my only concern

Some of the nicest people I have ever worked with !

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Inclusive Culture, Work Life Balance, Learning and Development are not only encouraged, but ample opportunity to do so. Along with the appropriate offering of training in house.
    I really enjoyed the ALL Hands San Francisco Associates Conference held at the Historic Galileo High School - followed by a Wellness Carnival at the Maritime Museums Bocce Ball Courts this week.
    I was inspired by the leaderships presentation and speeches.It has invigorated my ability to 'dare to dream' ! It was an all round wonderful day of learning and engaging. Lunch was provided by a great selection of food trucks, followed by camaraderie and physical activity with fellow co-workers.

Cons

to be honest, I have not experienced any yet.