Williams-Sonoma

Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber

Laura J. Alber

Pros:
  • "Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store"
    in 80 reviews
  • "Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales"
    in 48 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is truly no work/life balance here - despite what they say"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Disconnect between reality in the stores and what upper management thinks/dreams"
    in 32 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

GM

General Manager (Former Employee)
    West Palm Beach, FL

ProsGood employees, great products, very nice customers, nice employee discount,

ConsTerrible upper management out of the stores, VERY high turn over and it doesn't matter to HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back people first

Such a shame, really disappointed and let down.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe people, and discount..had a great final day of use and stocked the home.

ConsLimited training/exposure within the company to develop essential networks for growth; incapable leaders and poor work conditions; lack of inclusion throughout brand. So much potential but there is a breakdown of defining the culture as one WSI. Employees didn't understand this was the parent company. Never mind the employees also didn't know about the Open Door Policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementLose the snooty attitudes and introduce yourselves to the teams whose stores you visit. How much it would mean to employees for the CEO to acknowledge the folks within arms length. Also invest in ways to prepare and grow the company with the vision of 10 years from now and how sales folks will retain the present/next generation of consumers. Where is your recycling effort? (Ie: design a cool universal WSI reusable tote for customers to purchase on the go). Create a more exclusive rewards credit program...I want to use my reward certificates whenever I want or at least not lose the full value if My current purchase is less that the certificate. With the high APR, this is essential since customers work hard to earn those. Take care of the customer and they will never leave you. Invest in an updated POS system with purged sku system. The ROI means shorter lines, happier customers, de-stressed employees and drumroll...... more volume rung and fewer customer walk outs! Not to mention repeat business for a seamless experience. What future development do you offer employees seeking a career and not just a job?
    The list goes on.....

It's not what you know & can do it's WHO you know

ProsThe store teams and the discount benefits can be ok if you use them

ConsNo consideration for experience but get more for less it's a JOKE our AOS can be used as toilet paper why bother asking nothing changes!!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen to those who are in the front lines as things get worst more of us are going to leave!!!! Ask why is their such a high turnover especially in the southeast!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management team was too large and non-communicative.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWide variety of product to sell.

ConsPoor quality in most items.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeam.

Great opportunity, average experience

Senior Buyer (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsFantastic product knowledge, talented design teams

ConsTerrible environment. Leadership was weak, not engaged or inspiring. People were miserable across many different teams, did not respect sr. leadership and decision-making. Processes are antiquated,

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop and pay attention to your leaders

Don't do it!

ProsIts great if you like pots and pans. Old lady customer base can be annoying and demanding at times. Overall product is tollerable.

ConsStore manger is awful. She is never thare. She talks on the phone all day.She is not qualified for position she should work at a carnaval.DSM is even worse no one wants to work for him he has no idea how to do his job.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house!

Worse Experience Ever

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay, decent benefits, good discount, gain tons of experience, opportunity to travel and corporate really focuses on motivating stores.

ConsLack of technology, physically demanding, frequent micro managing and corporate visits, minimal payroll and poor product quality. Some racism against minorities and unprofessional work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on developing from top to bottom to bottom to top, invest some money in your buildings

Going downhill, everyone is leaving! Don't come here if you're looking for a happy career!

(Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsOne of the better things about working here is about the people you'll meet. There are some genuinely good quality people here - along with the bad apples you meet, of course. It's a shame many of these good apples are slowly but surely leaving the company. Sure, we have early summer Fridays, but these early Fridays use to be year-round. Costs are constantly being cut - even though the company does relatively well. Why aren't employees rewarded more? Another good thing about this company are that the teams here know no boundaries to perfection. They are very focused on being perfect, which is great and admirable - but soemtimes given the situation - it's doing a little too much and a bit draining. People need a life. You don't have to be 100% and wear everyone out on things that may not matter. 80-90% is good. Let's call it a night, people. If need be, let's work on it tomorrow and/or prioritize what's REALLY more important. Lastly, the holiday Children parties are great. However, if you don't have any kids, there is likely no party for you to participate in during the holidays. If there is, it is a small department thing that may very well be on a strict low budget. If you ask me, I'd rather have a party to enjoy with my coworkers than one with my kids.

ConsFor one, early Fridays year round are gone, as mentioned. For two, management can be very belittling, and too uptight. The tone of voice and choice of words can be very condescending and straight up rude.

Work/life balance is HORRIBLE. Most of the people who write on here that they think work/life balance is reasonable must be working on hourly pay. Company provides no comp time, and only provides bonuses for sr level and above. Even then, the bonus is not guaranteed at the full 10% even for all the hard work you put in! Hell, DINNER isn't even comped when you stay late to work. This company is beyond stingy. What's a few extra dollars in making sure I'm happy and well fed so that I can continue working hard and longer for you?

The company morale here is very low. They do nothing to support team building activities, nothing to celebrate welcoming(besides your welcome lunch with your manager), accomplishments, departures (I'm talking about good people who have left the company too!), and nothing to celebrate holidays. The company is very cheap and they do not care about retaining employees. They work you to the bone and are surprised when you are unhappy. It's not rocket science.

Nobody I have talked to likes working here. The turnover is crazy. I have watched many of my coworkers leave right before my eyes. Word of advice - when deciding where you want to work, why would one choose WS when so many other companies in the bay area offer so many more perks? The last time I spoke to my coworkers before I left, many of them told me they couldn't want to find a new job and get out as well.

Give the company a try. Let's see how long you last.....

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people with RESPECT. You are no better than any of us lower titled people. We bleed the same way don't we? And just like me, you can be fired to. No one is invincible.

Also, show recognition and don't be afraid to praise and/or spend a few dollars on your employees. Stop being cheap and trying to save every single dollar.

This company is going down hill fast

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat discount, enjoy working with store employees

ConsConstantly decreasing payroll and resources, yet increasing duties and responsibilities; lack of awareness of the corporate office of unrealistic goals; poor planning; poor pay; lack of respect for the store level by the corporate office; misleading sales advertised to the public

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to what made the company great in the past; great products, and great service. The company is trying to do do too much and as a result sales continue to plummet and employee satisfaction is almost nonexistent.

Bad CEO & WSGC Inc

Prosdiscounts
    good looking people at work

ConsThe CEO is clueless, what happened to the global expansion
    questionable vendors
    no team work, back stabbing environment
    sr managment is lost

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back Gary F
    Get a clue about biz development
    Get rid of the CEO!

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Williams-Sonoma reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Williams-Sonoma CEO Laura J. Alber. All 570 reviews posted anonymously by Williams-Sonoma employees.