Williams-Sonoma

www.williams-sonomainc.com
Employer Engaged

Awful place unless you were on the favorite list

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Customers were generally very kind and understanding. Decent employee discount, though I never used it.

Cons

Management played favorites big time, and if they didn't like you, for any reason, they made it painfully obvious. Don't bother going to HR to report inappropriate behavior from a coworker because they'll just attack you about things you've supposedly done wrong and refuse to provide proof, and you'll never actually be able to file a report. If you exceed expectations in any way your supervisor will accuse you of somehow cheating. If you weren't a favorite then requesting any kind of time off or schedule change was impossible. Insufficient training to both employees and management, and if you ever need help you get belittled. Your supervisor will tell you you're doing your job wrong and when you ask how to do it correctly the response is "well, I don't know how to do it, ask your teammates". Extremely difficult to get a Floor Lead/Sup on the phone for help, and when you do they're response is usually "well what do you want me to do about it?" If you get on anybody's bad side they will bully you until you leave. Leads will sit at their desks and gossip LOUDLY about people getting in trouble/fired. Customers are given sub-par assistance, and the employees are treated worse than the customers which is really saying something. Overall, everyone is incredibly immature and disrespectful, and they spend more time eating than doing their jobs.

Attendance policy needs a major overhaul. More sufficient training needs to be provided. Workplace needs to be more professional.

Don't do it!

Former Employee - Design Studio Specialist in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Design Studio Specialist in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Great discount, and great co-workers

Cons

Made the Presidents Club 2 years in a row (sales over $300,000) as a Design Studio Specialist. No comimission and paid a paltry hourly wage. Wanted full-time, but the only full time are managers.

All DSS should be full time. Enough of clienteling, email captures, credit card sign ups. Staff the damn stores.

Horrible Hypocritical He**hole

Current Employee - Fsa
    Current Employee - Fsa

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Absolutely nothing known to humankind

Cons

Lies, Disrespect, Abuse, Manipulation, Condescension

Get a soul!

so sad

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the history & foundation of what this once great company was built on.

Cons

the inability to see reality in stores.

empathize.

No ma'am Pam

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I liked the fact that I only worked four days a week..

Cons

There were favorites in the work place, which is completely unfair to people..

Stop being so darn lazy

You are either in the game or you simply get sent out of the game

Former Contractor - Quality Assurance in Olive Branch, MS
    Former Contractor - Quality Assurance in Olive Branch, MS

I worked at Williams-Sonoma as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

You get to work 3 or 4 days a week except during peak seasons. Great overtime pay if you are willing to work the extended hours.

Cons

Too much power bestowed on some Shift Leads, if you are not in their good books or willing to dance to their tune, you might pay with your job.

Management need to base decision making especially (who they keep or let go) on company's policy, efficiency and great productivity. They need to verify every report before taking drastic decisions.

I work as a stock runner for Williams Sonoma, it can be a very intense job, but very rewarding job.

Current Employee - Stock Room Attendant in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Stock Room Attendant in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There's always something to do, so time passes quickly. My coworkers are amazing and so are the customers.

Cons

The constant stock requests can be overwhelming for newbies, especially those coming on for the holiday season.

Use lots of positive reinforcement for morale. My boss does and it really helps get through the day.

Mixed feelings

Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Wellington, FL
    Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Wellington, FL

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (less than a year)

Pros

+Great food
    +Above minimum wage
    +Most managers are very caring
    +Most team members are very kind
    +I was able to cook as part of my job
    +Most clientele was favorable
    +They are strict on when you get breaks and how long your breaks are. You have a 6 hour shift? You WILL take a 30 minute break halfway through.

Cons

-As with most retail, hours vary per week. I'd have 8 one week and 35 the next.
    -Again, as with most retail people find it easier to complain about you than to complement you to your managers. I had gotten 2 complaints the day after Christmas from people trying to return things that were simply not returnable by company policy. I was then told by the manager to just "Have more fun" and to "Be more happy".
    -Older associates who have worked at WS for an extended period of time can be cocky and demeaning.
    -People get feisty about who's sales associate number gets put in the system for each sale even though associates receive no commission nor do they truly receive any bonuses.
    -Email capture and credit cards are essential to me keeping my job when we have a mostly older clientele who prefer not to give email and sometimes don't even possess an email to give.
    -If I do so much as leave the cash wrap (when it's not busy) to help a customer who requests help I get in trouble for leaving the cash wrap.

Email capture shouldn't be one of the factors of whether or not someone keeps their job. Cashiers are people too, take care of them. Often times their job is more stressful than that of the Sales Associates simply because they are the ones dealing with payment. If the system asks for sales associate numbers, at least include some sort of commission or bonus. It's pointless the way that it is and only starts fights between associates and cashiers.

Please provide your stores with functioning equipment!

Current Employee - Associate Manager
    Current Employee - Associate Manager

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

I get to meet a lot of wonderful people who come in to the store for our knowledge, enthusiasm, products, and new ideas

Cons

The infrastructure of the company, as well as the store itself, is not capable of supporting the business at the most basic level. Cutting payroll adds insult to injury. We are sinking with no life-ring to hold onto, and no one to help us.

PLEASE invest in your business. First, payroll. We cannot work with just two people in the store. It is unsafe, and unrealistic. Second, and probably more important: you must update your computers, cash registers, office equipment and telephones. Your business tools are obsolete, and the customers see that. It is absolutely humiliating to have something as basic as the website refuse to load (multiple times), or the register freeze. This is a daily occurrence, not an occasional situation. I have to call Store Support that I have the number memorized and have a preferred analyst. This is Williams-Sonoma: we are selling top-notch product using bottom-tier tools. merch locator is a disaster: the search string is not automated, and one line of items can be called many different things. Ready to play " guess how this sku is listed in merch?" It regularly takes me up to twenty minutes to locate an item in the system, bc it has to be exactly as typed in by whatever agent is inputting data, and there is no standardization. Lately, it's getting to the point where I dread helping my customers, bc it's like, great, what's going to go wrong on this one? No sku, and twenty minute SKU hunt? Have to go in the back to get something, but no one else to help me climb the latter and hoist down the box, worried that I'm going to get hurt? Try to order on line but the computer freezes and loses their order, the. You have to call customer service, who tell you to call back in 24 hours? Or, merch says you have 12 of them, but can only find 2. We look like absolute incompetents and it is embarassing. INVEST IN YOUR BUSINESS! You cannot run a "high-end" business in 2015 with equipment from the 90s. It cannot be done. YOU are eroding your brand, not us.

Good Culture, Desire to Change, but does require patience

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice place to work if you want to improve business processes in the DevOps space

Cons

Hard to teach old dogs new tricks

CIO needs to embrace DevOps to foster adoption across organizations