Williams-Sonoma

Updated December 19, 2014
2.8

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 87 reviews)

• Work life balance - is great as long as you get what you need done (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is often unbalanced especially during the holiday seasons (in 31 reviews)

• Upper management never visits the stores- causing a complete disconnect from stores to corporate (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Put together a plan, and stick with it. Don't be so reactive.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The discount is great. Associates are passionate about products and service.

Cons

Get a plan in place and follow through. I realize that retail is becoming more competitive, but making dramatic changes on a daily basis wears down the store teams. Corporates leaders are scared of the competition and it shows. No longer do managers manage, they are now salespeople and cashiers. Managers are expected to train, clientele, coach, write schedules, restock, implement visual changes, all while assisting customers. I can't imagine this is the vision that Chuck and Howard had.......even though our corporate leaders would like us to believe that. Managers constantly hear that they should be self critical. Perhaps our corporate leaders should look in the mirror, and say those words.

Quit worrying about what Sur La Table is doing. Let stores do what they do best...give great service. Realize what you are asking of your teams. Stores should not have to spend valuable payroll dollars to prepare for corporate visits. You need to see what reality looks like on 220 hours a week. Think about the safety of your teams when you cut payroll, and stockrooms become dangerous.

Exempt = Slave

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are no pros when you work around the clock for a daily slap in the face.

Cons

Zero payroll. Zero recognition. Wildly unrealistic expectations to accomplish without any funding. If you are exempt....best of luck. You are now a slave of Williams-Sonoma. Kiss your kids and wife goodbye. Pack your sleeping bag and head to work. You literally have to patch drywall, hang ceiling fixtures, paint and wall paper. Unload a UPS truck, process it, all while running your floor. No budget for visual and floor sets, no budget for training, no budget for processing merchandise deliveries. It is truly a thankless job. Every day you have to listen to a voicemail before you open which essentially tells you how much you suck. Then you take call after call of mundane repetitive crap that tells you how much you suck....about 4 hours of conference calls and then they wonder how you could possibly miss a deadline. With no payroll. Oh, wait. You're exempt. You work for FREE!!

Yikes...if only a paragraph could begin to cover it. Maybe you should talk to people and get an actual read on how the field feels...then you will get some advice. If they actually share because they aren't scared to death of career suicide..

Good merchandise; easy to sell

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly associates; high quality products.

Cons

No benefits for part-time employees. Low tech computers.

Do everything by yourself and expect nothing new

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Nice location and good exposure to retail

Cons

There were less politics before but as the company is growing we see more politics and less work

It was decent.

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Some opportunity for advancement. If you do what you are asked to do, you have good job security.

Cons

The higher ups do not really care about what the associates do, or give you any leeway. You must complete the task, or be replaced.

Supply Chain Network Analyst

Former Employee - Supply Chain Network Analyst in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Network Analyst in Memphis, TN

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very good industry (supply chain) and position to be at - with much growth (domestically and internationally). Lots of chances to make a presence and create/leave a mark of your own. Overall is a great company but if you can get past the Cons, it may not be a bad idea.

Cons

Managers is very very bad, particularly the supply chain network expansion. It is a culture of the slaves (talk/ask/must do what ever they want). And that particular team is very non-team oriented. There are lots of opportunity for growth but why have a good opportunity for the type of work and work miserable? Is a question that only you can answer but I personally would not recommend it. Leadership is very much always in a discussion/fight (transportation and supply chain/network dept) - they do not like each other.

Quite frankly - I would advise to find something that makes them happy and not make others life miserable , b/c at the moment it is obvious they are not well aligned for success. Be more open minded and not bring back the slavery (that was a thing of the past, let it go and treat people fairly). These are particular folks, not everyone so pay close attention when interviewing and ask lots of questions.

Nice people, work/life balance, leadership varies

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Low politics between teams who focus on getting the work done, big company feel where there's good work/ life balance, great discount across suite of brands (includes Pottery Barn and West Elm)

Cons

Some units at leadership level are increasingly political, micromanagement of finances, cheap (no funds for trainings, celebrations), below market salaries and/or abyssmal bonuses, teams foster relationships amongst themselves but leadership doesn't have a people-focus to decision making

Great brand but could always be better!

Former Employee - Corporate Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great discount in multiple brands (Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn and West Elm), opportunities for advancement as long as you are very patient, beautiful location of corporate office, amazing product and amazing employees who share a passion for the product. Strong heritage and 99 year old founder still visits the building from time to time. Love the WS mission to "bring people together around food".

Cons

CEO micromanages from the top which comes off as lacking trust in associates from top to bottom, improvement to broken processes is slow at best, low base salaries compared to similar companies in the Bay Area and annual raises that can't even keep up with inflation. Work/life balance is often unbalanced especially during the holiday seasons.

130% bonuses to execs and 2% raises to low level associates won't allow you to build and MAINTAIN the best possible teams in Retail. Associates (the worker-bees) need more recognition for hard work than a "catch the spirit" plaque and a $100 gift card.

From Employee To Foodie

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Williams-Sonoma is the mecca when it comes to food and it does so diligently by training their staff on the how-to's. I learned so much from being there, cultivating my passion for food and what to have and what not to do.

Food bridges the gap to communication and in turn brings forever lasting friendship.

There is so much to learn and everything is life appropriate.

Getting to yes is their policy and it's something unique that many companies do not do.

Cons

It's difficult to grow in the saturated retail world. Always look for corporate or office job.

There has been great and relentless members in management. All I'll say is to "always park ones ego at the door" and never bring it to work.

Great product and benefits, direction of company sometimes off track

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount, 40% off at all brands
    Great co-workers at my store
    Great benefits when I was a full-time employee
    A good part-time job during the holidays, or year-round if your store has the hours.

Cons

At the end, company strategy had changed, seemed to shift to a bigger focus on metrics and gathering emails and a smaller focus on providing an amazing customer experience, which is one of the things I loved about the company in the beginning. Also, unrealistic demands on store staff as far as how much could be done in the time budgeted.

Remember to focus on the customers first, one of our unique features is a store staff that has stories to share and good advice to give, as well as creating a great environment. Pushing credit cards and email capture in this luxury environment is not welcoming to customers.