Williams-Sonoma

Updated August 15, 2014

2.8

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 82 reviews)

• Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, payroll constantly being cut some DMs had little pets who could do no wrong (in 25 reviews)

• The current upper management does not appear to care about the employees or their customers (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Decline in standards and support

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

Pros

The people I work with REALLY want to provide a great shopping experience, both with products and culinary education

Cons

Corporate support has gone AWOL

LISTEN to your managers-When they are pleading for extra hours to be able to have enough help, its not so they can sit in their offices and do their nails. They are trying to keep up with all the metric reports, webinars (that are like a middle school slide show-come, on. WS is in California-there must be someone that can bring the IT system up to speed,. I'm just guessing), floor set changes (why not put stuff on a rotating floor belt), culinary programs that don't get the extra hours to have the classes done right-or pay for a quality culinary professional to teach them (do you honestly think a $9.00 an hour person has the same capability to teach a cooking class as a trained chef? ZzzzZzzzZzz WAKE UP!

Great Place until Philosophy Changed

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Edina, MN

Pros

Great products, awesome discount.

Cons

Management always under pressure from above. Too much micro-managing of mature employees. Inflexible regarding work schedules.

It was a ok experience, but I felt like so creatively stifled!

Former Employee - Internet Design Coordinator  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Internet Design Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great discounts on all the amazing products were obviously a perk. I love going to the employee warehouse sales. There were some great deals at those, but only if you got a good lottery number. Good benefits for the most part, I thought their PTO was a little stingy and slow to accumulate.

Cons

If you are a creative and depending on your level on a particular team within the WSI umbrella you will be doing the EXACT SAME THING FOREVER. Then don't even get me started on the the higher ups there. The creative directors really only cared about one thing and that was what the merchandisers had to say (at least on my particular team). Unfortunately, during my time there I had to work under a manager who was completely under qualified for the position, which was very frustrating to work for, when you know he/she is doing something incorrectly.

Seriously vet the creative managers you put in place and push the envelope a bit more creatively. Also, "the cave" seems like a good idea in theory, but I seriously though I needed a sun lamp at times, because of the remote placement of the room.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company - GREAT PLACE TO WORK

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Product. People.Performance
    The product is high quality you can believe in when selling to guest!
    The people at all levels in the company are genuine and really care about associates!
    The managers communicate constantly how you are doing on any given day and are always letting you know they appreciate you! LOVE this COMPANY!

Cons

I have no cons.. would like to work more

Keep up the GREAT WORK!

Overall, a satisfying place to work

Current Employee - Furniture Service Associate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Furniture Service Associate in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Coworkers are like family and very supportive of each other

Cons

Not enough internal job openings

Stop interviewing every single person who applies for an internal position just because they applied. If not all applicants are qualified, do not interview all applicants; it just wastes time and gives false hope.

Going downhill, everyone is leaving! Don't come here if you're looking for a happy career!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

One of the better things about working here is about the people you'll meet. There are some genuinely good quality people here - along with the bad apples you meet, of course. It's a shame many of these good apples are slowly but surely leaving the company. Sure, we have early summer Fridays, but these early Fridays use to be year-round. Costs are constantly being cut - even though the company does relatively well. Why aren't employees rewarded more? Another good thing about this company are that the teams here know no boundaries to perfection. They are very focused on being perfect, which is great and admirable - but soemtimes given the situation - it's doing a little too much and a bit draining. People need a life. You don't have to be 100% and wear everyone out on things that may not matter. 80-90% is good. Let's call it a night, people. If need be, let's work on it tomorrow and/or prioritize what's REALLY more important. Lastly, the holiday Children parties are great. However, if you don't have any kids, there is likely no party for you to participate in during the holidays. If there is, it is a small department thing that may very well be on a strict low budget. If you ask me, I'd rather have a party to enjoy with my coworkers than one with my kids.

Cons

For one, early Fridays year round are gone, as mentioned. For two, management can be very belittling, and too uptight. The tone of voice and choice of words can be very condescending and straight up rude.

Work/life balance is HORRIBLE. Most of the people who write on here that they think work/life balance is reasonable must be working on hourly pay. Company provides no comp time, and only provides bonuses for sr level and above. Even then, the bonus is not guaranteed at the full 10% even for all the hard work you put in! Hell, DINNER isn't even comped when you stay late to work. This company is beyond stingy. What's a few extra dollars in making sure I'm happy and well fed so that I can continue working hard and longer for you?

The company morale here is very low. They do nothing to support team building activities, nothing to celebrate welcoming(besides your welcome lunch with your manager), accomplishments, departures (I'm talking about good people who have left the company too!), and nothing to celebrate holidays. The company is very cheap and they do not care about retaining employees. They work you to the bone and are surprised when you are unhappy. It's not rocket science.

Nobody I have talked to likes working here. The turnover is crazy. I have watched many of my coworkers leave right before my eyes. Word of advice - when deciding where you want to work, why would one choose WS when so many other companies in the bay area offer so many more perks? The last time I spoke to my coworkers before I left, many of them told me they couldn't want to find a new job and get out as well.

Give the company a try. Let's see how long you last.....

Treat people with RESPECT. You are no better than any of us lower titled people. We bleed the same way don't we? And just like me, you can be fired to. No one is invincible.

Also, show recognition and don't be afraid to praise and/or spend a few dollars on your employees. Stop being cheap and trying to save every single dollar.

good

Pros

good place to work part time

Cons

not enough hours to work

morehours

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

I got to use all my favorite kitchen gadgets and teach people how to use them. Got some nice sales awards in the from of product.

Cons

Holiday hours... I'm not cut out for the commitment of hours durning the Holiday's required by retail.

If you love their products, I'd recommend working here! GREAT discounts!!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Working with a wide variety of customers and employees. 40% discount as an employee!!

Cons

Time management. Always on the go, never stopping. It's very hard to try and contact a manager or need assistance immediately.

Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Acb  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Acb in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great culture. Management team is friendly and supportive. Good pay and benefits. Work load is manageable. Early Friday release during summer!

Cons

some of their offices physical condition is shameful. For being a fine home furnishing corporation, the condition of their corporate offices is less then desirable. We have had a leak in the ceiling for over a year and no one bothers to fix it.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!