Williams-Sonoma

Updated September 18, 2014
2.7

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 82 reviews)

• Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, payroll constantly being cut some DMs had little pets who could do no wrong (in 25 reviews)

• The current upper management does not appear to care about the employees or their customers (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice place, nice people, nice discount...not-so-nice hourly pay

Current Employee - Casual Part-time Associate  in  Leesburg, VA
    Current Employee - Casual Part-time Associate in Leesburg, VA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice working environment, great co-workers, and generally nice customers, not to mention a generous 40% discount, keep many an associate complacent.

Cons

A low hourly wage, practically invisible annual raises, and fewer scheduled hours than most would like, makes this a job only for those who don't really need to earn a living.

Too many tasks for sales associates

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate  in  Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Lone Tree, CO

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent discounts, nice co workers, beautiful atmosphere, learned much about products

Cons

Sales people had to do ALL housekeeping, stockroom was full of ladders we had to climb to get merchandise, shifts were poorly managed...schedules written very late so no time to plan your life. No permanent shifts, unclear and no support for finding substitute, management of store was unreasonable with pushing sales associates to make goals.

Store manager was impatient, intimidating, demanding. I only worked evenings to balance with raising young kids...I'd get sent home early from my few shifts a week...the effort to get there and the drive were not worth 2 hrs at minimum wage. I'd be expected to come into morning and weekend meetings when I wasn't scheduled to work. Also needed to work inventory when I was NOT able to be away from home. I paid babysitter my exact salary just so I could keep manager from hating me.

Very physically demanding

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate  in  Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Lone Tree, CO

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice coworkers, learned about merchandise and techniques. VERY generous discounts.

Cons

Horrible shifts, short notice on scheduling makes planning your own life very difficult. All housekeeping is done by sales staff. Floor scrubbing, oven cleaning, TOILET cleaning. So very misleading when you apply and interview.

Hire store managers who can actually handle their jobs appropriately. Not overly tense, stressed out, snippy ones. Don't bother sharing store goals with sales people. Nobody actually keeps track of sales other than manager grumbling about it. Employees sell as much as they can. Not exactly keeping track since not in commission.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time

Pros

Great discount, good training. Flexibe.

Cons

Bad schedlues. Poor break plans.

It was a nice seasonal position during the winter holiday seasons as a sales associate.

I worked at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Discount on products and gained a knowledge of the products.

Cons

Management sometimes could be overbearing.

Less micromanagement would've been nice.

Good experience in working with retail and back office applications

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working with the people from various departments when I was hired over 15 years ago was a joy because the bottom always mattered. The communications on cross-department projects from the project leaders kept everyone on task.

Cons

Not having a defined job description for most of the IT group was challenging. When they were finalized after being there 10 years, it was difficult meeting the expectations.

2007-2008 was difficult for most organizations and IT staff across the board at WSM were working outside of what they were hired for, so managers that can coach is a must.

Currently well managed. After 6 years and 3 different General Managers everything and everyone seem to be doing well.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Corte Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent products support by a well trained staff. We get personal with our customers and want them to feel well taken care of during their shopping experience as well as after with our Clienteling support; keeping customers up to date with our new offering and specials.

Cons

Employees are constantly required to do more with no increase in hourly rate. Over the six years the most I have received for a raise is $.55.

Better wages that match what we do for our customers.

Overworked and under appreciated

I worked at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

They pay more than minimum wage and you can get some good hours during the holiday season.

Cons

In order to request off, you have to submit it three weeks in advance. This is okay if you're anything but a college student. Also, the hours I gave as my availability were not always followed especially if they were understaffed, which again if you're a college student it's not ideal at all. The company, as most do now, stresses a lot on getting their credit card out, which essentially puts a lot of pressure on managers and employees.

Availability matters and so do your employees.

Benefits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales! If you're lucky you can find a job with autonomy.

Cons

Lack of Career Opportunities and promotions

Laid back but pay not competitive for the area

Current Employee - Full Service Associate  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Full Service Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Laid back, easy job, great discount

Cons

incompetent management team, salary, time off policies

Not all of your employees want your jobs. It's ok to take their advice sometimes without feeling threatened. Some associates are more educated than the management team so it's frustrating working for people who know less than you.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!