Williams-Sonoma

Updated October 31, 2014
2.8

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 85 reviews)

• Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is often unbalanced especially during the holiday seasons (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management never visits the stores- causing a complete disconnect from stores to corporate (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

169 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Too much politics with no recognition

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance - is great as long as you get what you need done.
    Discount - not only with discount, but sample sales are nice, sometimes they have special extra discounts during the holidays
    People - the people is what makes it worth coming to work
    Open environment - it's not all cubed up

Cons

Too many cooks - you want IT to go run with projects, but yet CEO is too hands on with projects and always want changes.
    Benefits and pay - way too low, with the long commute, only work life makes it worth it. Everyone is super underpaid, especially being in IT.
    Lack of growth - having 360 feedback is all BS because the people who suck up to higher ups will always move up and get promoted, where the people who work hard, have great business relationships get nothing
    Too much red tape - sometimes we'll work on projects and next thing you know, we either stop, or there are major changes
    Indecisive - People can't make up their minds what they want in a project, and often times takes too long to figure it out
    Not IT driven - it's all business driven and whatever IT's input is with projects, it generally gets trumped by business

Recognize the people who work on projects, stop focusing on negatives, but the positive, move people up the ladder for growth and pay people better. OR just have even work remotely because the pay is unjustifiable.

You have this huge 'DREAM' theme, but it doesn't mean anything if executives don't follow it.

The Epitome of Greed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

40% discount, Sample Sales, sexy company - it impresses people when you say your work there.

Cons

Weak leadership. Very political and promotions are based on favoritism. They profess to value their people but in fact the only thing they value is money. When times were tough no one got a raise but executives still got bonuses.They are dishonest, unfair and under-handed. Human Resources is run very poorly. Toxic environment.

Live the core values you say you have.

Human Resources

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great brands and products so the discount is worthwhile. Good associates. Women in upper management and not just young talent.

Cons

There is a disconnect between associates and upper management. High turnover.

Their "People First" philosophy is a joke

Former Employee - Associate Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount
    Stellar product
    Sense of community within district
    Feedback from the field is actually utilized
    Contests really help rally the teams

Cons

Out of control work load
    No quality of life
    Hard work goes unnoticed
    Terminated as a result of a chronic disease. All they care about is $$, so heaven forbid you should stand in the way of that.

Realize that we are human beings and not hamsters just running the wheel. All the 911's were incredibly stressful and then we were expected to provide "world class service" in addition with little to no coverage. Also, go away from the rigid structure of the secret shops and allow store associates to build relationships in a less robotic way.

Also, hire HR managers who aren't putting you at risk for a lawsuit.

Good place for dedicated teams.

Current Employee - Store Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Store Leader in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong heritage culture, and customers are very appreciated and valued. The culinary culture is rich, and management wants people to succeed.

Cons

We work hard, and always ask people to improve

We could use more diversity and inclusion

Nice place to hang out.

Former Employee - Data Warehouse Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Data Warehouse Architect in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company discount, low pressure, friendly people, honest and straightforward management, tangible consistent goals and results, family- and community friendly culture

Cons

Like most retailers, little budget for great technology investment, except for store operations. Lots of old-times with little innovation, much to risk-averse. Average pay and benefits.

Continued the consistent growth and results with time-honored brands and marketing. Exploit technology and be innovative to cut costs/extend margins/become more efficient

District Manager that has been with WSI for more than 5 years.

Current Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company truly supports internal succession and career advancement. If you are ready to take that next step they will find the right spot for you, even with another brand within the organization, as I have experienced first hand. Stores are given the freedom to think on their feet and make the right decision for the guest. The overall atmosphere is very entrepreneurial and you feel very empowered by the leadership team. This has kept me engaged and excited in the fact that I can help steer the company in a new direction!

Cons

We run complex stores and sometimes the list of To-Do's and the companies expectation can overburdon our team. The trick is to work through your people, not doing it all yourself, and everything will fall into place.

Please continue to listen to and invest in the field team and stores. Over the past few years the changes we have all implemented together, corporate and field, has built the confidence of our associates and given them the tools to hit their goals.

A happy new hire

Current Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been with the Pottery Barn Kids brand for 8 months now. I was at another retailer for many years. What I have found most refreshing here is that I I feel appreciated and recognized for my hard work and results. Top management stays close to the Associates in the field and stay connected and engaged. Successful companies are those where top managers never allow themselves to get removed from the customer. They truly care about the people that work here. They care tremendously! I love the people in every WSI brand. If you want to be a part of a team with mutual respect and trust, this is the place! It is proven that the number 1 reason people leave their job is they don't feel appreciated. I am motivated to work hard and deliver strong results and contribute to the overall success because I feel that I matter and feel supported.

Cons

It's a lot of hard work but because the people are amazing and I have the best boss ever!!! It doesn't seem like work at all!

Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Senior management seems committed to carrying the vision Chuck Williams had 50+ years ago. People are proud of the work they do and the products they offer to customers. A big per, of course, is the employee discount.

Cons

Some of the systems are a bit antiquated. But it could be a "if it isn't broken don't fix it" type thing.

Perhaps consider flex-time or go back to offering early Fridays.

The people are great, the pay is ok, the benefits are great. The IT department however is cumbersome to work in.

Former Employee - Project Manager III in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager III in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, people, discount, sample sale

Cons

IT Department supports production and Projects, and the focus is on production because this is a retail company. The project work is shoddy, and there is not much of a level of satisfaction, as the scope changes rapidly, and projects often do not complete in time due to resource issues.