Williams-Sonoma

175 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Overworked and Underpaid

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The discount and the food samples.

Cons

The tedious deadlines, the wasted time in large meetings, last minute fire-drills, the 50 analysis projects only to have your manager tell you, you should have looked at this instead. The lack of communication and expectations.

Check in with employees, ask if they need guidance, what are they working on. Share your opinions and ask for theirs.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Buyer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Buyer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I met smart, wonderful funny people while working at the corporate office. There was a great focus on customer service and employee education.

Cons

The company felt less personal as it continued to grow.

Company culture/attitude trickles down

Current Employee - Creative/Corporate Headquarters in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Creative/Corporate Headquarters in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Family of brands is well known and well regarded. They draw smart, talented people with solid backgrounds and experience. On the ecomm side, people work hard, but they seem to be having fun.

Cons

Execs have one foot firmly planted in the past. Teams are chronically under-resourced (not enough people to do the punishing volume of work). Salary-wise, they're notorious lowballers and the perks are minimal and pretty old school. First place I've worked where company mission (their "competencies") seems to be pure lip service. Culture is cold and elitist from the top down. Execs seem to not care at all how the sausage is made, what toll it takes to execute against their ever-changing directives. Not a collegial place to work.

Get with the times. Live to your competencies - for real. Crunch numbers to free up headcount. Commit to better work/life balance initiatives. Revolutionize the attitude there from the top down.

Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Acb in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Acb in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Management team is friendly and supportive. Good pay and benefits. Work load is manageable. Early Friday release during summer!

Cons

some of their offices physical condition is shameful. For being a fine home furnishing corporation, the condition of their corporate offices is less then desirable. We have had a leak in the ceiling for over a year and no one bothers to fix it.

Well positioned in the industry, good people, good work-life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time

Pros

Strong sense of culture and history; high-integrity people who want to do the right thing; well positioned in the industry and in an industry segment (home goods) that should continue to do well as the economy recovers; great balance between eCommerce and Store retail; lots of reasons why the company should be successful going forward; based in downtown San Francisco

Cons

Company is very design and merchant driven. If you are not in the design / merchandising areas, then you need to understand your role in the bigger context.

It was a ok experience, but I felt like so creatively stifled!

Former Employee - Internet Design Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Internet Design Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great discounts on all the amazing products were obviously a perk. I love going to the employee warehouse sales. There were some great deals at those, but only if you got a good lottery number. Good benefits for the most part, I thought their PTO was a little stingy and slow to accumulate.

Cons

If you are a creative and depending on your level on a particular team within the WSI umbrella you will be doing the EXACT SAME THING FOREVER. Then don't even get me started on the the higher ups there. The creative directors really only cared about one thing and that was what the merchandisers had to say (at least on my particular team). Unfortunately, during my time there I had to work under a manager who was completely under qualified for the position, which was very frustrating to work for, when you know he/she is doing something incorrectly.

Seriously vet the creative managers you put in place and push the envelope a bit more creatively. Also, "the cave" seems like a good idea in theory, but I seriously though I needed a sun lamp at times, because of the remote placement of the room.

they don't pay contractors for all their hours

Former Contractor - Database Marketing Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Database Marketing Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

there is nothing positive about working at this place aside you will get nice experience and you can have as much as responsibility as you please

Cons

no opportunities to move around within the company, you will be in the same position for infinity and beyond, director level and above are the only ones who recieve bonues, they don't pay contractors for all hours works and they made me cry on purpose several times, oh and my manager loved yelling at me across the office - this place is kind of nuts, a silent war, unless being screamed at

go to hell

Decent work/life balance, however heavy on tenured talent which makes it difficult to move up.

Former Employee - Control Buyer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Control Buyer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Relative to other employers I have had, the work/life balance is healthy. Benefits were great.

Cons

The company operates from a defensive position. New ideas are not always welcomed. Salary was lower than most other retailers in the area, which contributed to loss of talent. Tenure dominates promotion.

Increase average salary at the associate level to retain talent.

Demoralizing corporate culture

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great team and lower-level managers. Great discounts IF you can get hired on full time!

Cons

WS has an unofficial polilcy of hiring people on as "temps" - either through an agency or as a contractor - in otherwise full-time positions and keeping them as such indefinitely. Being hired on full time is apparently based on earnings and the whim of upper level management who need to approve all hires (this is at least the case with the Pottery Barn brand). It's demoralizing and polarizing to see this happening to hard working people who've been temps for well over a year (and in one case, two!!). Dangling the carrot is cheap.

You are out of touch with reality. WS is NOT apple or google, and it may look good on a resume, but not THAT good. If you view your workforce as disposable, then you will lose good people and there are many excellent, creative companies to lose workers to in San Francisco.

Two Words: Legacy Politics

Former Contractor - UI/User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - UI/User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Williams-Sonoma as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Newer, younger employees are dedicated and talented.
    Many company sponsored employee events and mixers, including during business hours.
    Employees (not contractors) get a significant retail discount.

Cons

Contractors are treated as though they are disposable.
    Pay was well below the general market rate.
    I can't speak for other offices, but the division where I worked was run completely on upper management politics. This pervaded every aspect of the project, from day-to-day workflow (unexpected day-of overtime) to the quality of deliverables and timeline, and made effective communication extremely difficult.
    Management is relying solely on the power of the brand name to drive new business instead of sound decision-making, product quality control and keeping up-to-date with new technology and industry happenings.

Please thoroughly examine current practices to ensure they are ethical, fair, sustainable, and efficient. Current model will not support quality talent retention or a sound long-term business model, especially in the international arena.