Willis

www.willis.com

Willis Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Willis – Chicago – “Willis associates displaying the Willis Cause…”

Dominic Casserley

Pros
  • Excellent Work/Life Balance especially for Families(in 8 reviews)

• Some good people who want to see people grow(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management does not have a coherent global strategy or plan(in 11 reviews)

• expense management is profoundly unfair(in 4 reviews)

Working at Willis review.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLine employees that service the clients.

ConsMiddle (supervisory) management is very weak.

A decent experience...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople were very nice, and allowed me to gain a deeper understanding of insurance/broking. They really stress the "one flag" mentality.

ConsThe work environment there seemed rather laid back, and when out of the 'busy' season it can get rather quiet.

Seeing some great changes going forward.

Commercial Account Executive (Former Employee) Lewiston, ME

ProsThey have some great plans in place and currently already in place for some changes that are all positive

ConsI lost my job due to the sale of the Maine operations. It was sad to see a smaller agency take over the operations. It was hard to believe that this was able to happen after all the talk of committing to our Maine Operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep the talent by working with them on situations like the Maine Operations being sold. It was very sad to see I was not able to stay with the organization. I worked with some amazing talented people and will miss working with them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the biggest - the best

ProsPeople are great
    Client focused
    Lots of resources
    Decent pay and benefits

ConsSomewhat disorganized - can be a challenge to find the right resource outside of local office
    Name not as well known so sales process a bit longer then usual
    Very tight with expenses

Advice to Senior ManagementLike the rhetoric- lets see effective execution. You're doing good so far but need to expand the vision.

Willis favors it's producers over the support staff.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits are competitive to other brokers.

ConsHigh turnover with support staff.
    Long hours are expected.

Takes a while for the honey-moon phase to pass, yet when it does, the dysfunction becomes crystal clear.

HCP (Former Employee)

ProsThere are some employees that are dedicated, and they form the back-bone of the company. Good internal coursework.

ConsHiring for teams takes far too long - staffing issues do not become a priority until a deadline has passed. Branch management had an "open-door" policy, but only in theory. Still a good-ol'-boy company. Nothing is done to keep 'negative' employees under control.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions more quickly, especially when it comes to hiring to bolster busy teams. Pay more attention to the employees, don't run so lean that it burns out committed employees. Be more open to embracing a work-life balance (i.e. telecommuting).

There is no one word that can truly describe this company

Senior Client Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThere are none to list

Cons26 years in the insurance business. Started out with small agency that was sold to HRH and then to Willis in 2008. Micromanagement at its very finest. Willis treated us like we were total idiots, incapable of doing our jobs without their help. Saw some of the hardest working people I have met in life - most with 25+ years of service- leave this company due to the treatment that they bestowed upon us. Had management look us in the eye and tell us they were committed to doing business in the state only to sell us out at the end of 2013 to the highest bidder. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy. Willis likes to tout about their values and their "cause" - They have NO values and the only cause they are committed to is how much money they can make. They lie to their employees, treat them like pieces of property that when they are done with they easily discard like trash. Can't make a decision to save their souls. Totally disorganized. Last 5 years working for them have been the hardest,longest and most depressing years of my work life.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good long hard look at how you treat your employees. They are not "human capital" as you so like to call us

They will use your industry knowledge and then cut you lose for someone cheaper at the first opportunity.

Program Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsIt's a large company with a lot of resources so you can get things done if you work at it. You can work anywhere in the world in a number of different roles.

ConsYou are treated like an asset, so like a computer, you can be replaced at any time. Quite a few people leave, but not many retire.

Very poor treatment of employees.

Human Resources Advisor (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsWell known company with numerous locations across the globe.

ConsNo opportunities for advancements and the company views their employees as disposable and do not appreciate their employees desire to grow. No help from the company to attain any educational goals. Company only appreciates associates in sales roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more pride in your employees and help them attain their educational goals.

Very good people and sales culture but very poor senior management

Employee Benefit Sales (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsA mix of very good people as well as the sales culture

ConsSenior management does not have a coherent global strategy or plan

Advice to Senior ManagementThe firm has to learn how put better, more experienced and strategic people in senior roles. If Willis does not learn how to grow the top line, it is going to fail and lose to better run companies

Worked for Willis? Contribute to the Community!