Willis Reviews

Updated April 25, 2015
229 reviews filtered by
Dominic Casserley

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance with this position (in 12 reviews)

• Some good people who want to see people grow (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management does not have a coherent global strategy or plan (in 11 reviews)

• Expense management strips young professionals of necessary experience to foster growth (in 4 reviews)

1. Client Manager

I have been working at Willis

Pros

Ability to advance in career if motivated, flexible and attentive

Cons

Bureaucracy of the corporate world.

Commercial Account Manager

Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Willis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional office setting and personnel . Large accounts and team effort in processing.

Cons

Internal full-time management needed.

Unfairly undervalued without justification or means to improve -- but great work environment

Current Employee - Specialist -- CAG in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Specialist -- CAG in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Willis full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of flexibility and support during times of family crisis.
    Direct supervisor stresses work\life balance and tries to compensate for corporate shortfalls by creating great environment and providing non-monetary perks.

Cons

Unfair pay practices -- Disparate compensation for exact same job and responsibilities regardless of performance.

Advice to Management

Provide equal pay for equal work and disclose salary ranges for each role.
    Compensate based on the performance rather than the person

Less than ideal experience at Willis

I have been working at Willis full-time

Pros

Decent pay, but nothing more

Cons

Terrible management - ineffective and afraid to engage. Horrible backstabbing coworkers who practice character assassinations on others. Assistants lack knowledge and ability, but are fully entrenched.

Advice to Management

Manage already.

All in all a great company to work!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Willis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule.
    Even though management is somewhat unavailable most of the time they care about the associates.
    Opportunities for growth
    There is always someone pushing you or challenging you to do better

Cons

People are way to sensitive
    You do not get promoted if you do not fit the mold but you are better at the job
    Communication is horrible
    When new processes are implemented you get little to no training.
    In the last year the benefits are horrible. I used to love our benefits here.
    Raises could be better

Advice to Management

Be more involved with your associates. We are constantly having to track you down just to ask simple questions. Also it has become more stressful over the years it does not seem like anyone can relax.

7. Assistant Client Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Willis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When it comes to the value with respect to the knowledge and experience that I gained during my employment with Willis, it's really invaluable. I didn't know a thing about Property & Casualty insurance on day one and a few years later, after having been involved in so many different accounts and projects, I had a knowledge base that would leverage my career within the insurance industry much more so than expected. Being able to leave with the education and experience alone is worth the time that I spent with Willis.

Cons

Corporate structure didn't show much concern for the entry/mid level employees. The roles and responsibilities weren't defined and the lack of presence of any mentoring was inhibiting and at times discouraging. Responsibility and acknowledgment of hard work wasn't given by senior management on a consistent basis. When it was, it was either rare or was given by the same senior staff members most of the time.

Advice to Management

The senior staff has the ability to empower their junior employees and should. The opportunity that Willis is able to offer are extensive and if they focused on workloads and what is being handled by the junior staff on an account by account basis, there is (or was) a lack of consistency and a lack of ownership.

8. Strong leadership, pockets of strong personnel.

I worked at Willis

Pros

Innovative managers who cared about company and employee success.

Cons

Large swathe of employees who's financial incentives did not align with management's goals coupled with a conservative mentality led to a few employees doing the work of many.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on redefining the company.

Tried Hard To Love It Here (10 years!), But Just Couldn't Do It Anymore

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Willis full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Location in Portland was beautiful. New office space with new furnishings. Close to Waterfront and nice downtown restaurants. Benefits were ok - not a pro or a con in my opinion, just ok. Some teams had a flexible work schedule; Working with great clients was amazing!

Cons

Bad Management; Office Politics; Lots of backstabbing and aggressive personalities; Lack of Career Path; Work/Life Balance Non-Existent; Unbalanced Workloads (Producers vs. Service Staff); Management Not Always "Doing the Right Thing; 401k Match Low; Lack of Managing Partner for many months; Lack of Leadership

Advice to Management

Working in a remote office, away from the parent company, is always challenging. Willis has great ideas and had I been located in New York, I likely would have had a different experience. The Portland office (as of my departure in 2014) was missing a managing partner and missing leadership that would actually listen to employees and do the right thing. The office is full of employees that have been there a long time and are stuck in their ways, they have terrible gossiping habits, and aren't always willing to accept those with different views.

There are many "leaders" in the office that are in their positions because they are good producers. A good producer does not necessarily make a good leader. In fact, many times producers have the type of personality that makes them a terrible leader. I would really reconsider those that you put in a management role and look for a leader that has empathy, listening skills, ability to motivate employees, and financial business acumen.

I would return to Willis, but only once they "cleaned house" and adjusted the expectations of the producers vs. service staff. There were many, many nights that my team was in the office past midnight in order to meet a client deadline or meet a regulation deadline. There was never support from producers or any other teams offering to help. There was no additional compensation, bonus time, comp time consideration, even when we worked week after week of 60-70 hours. When you work 60+ hours a week on average and on top of that are expected to work past midnight to "get the job done", fairly consistently, something is broken.

10. Good Company

Current Employee - Assistant Client Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Client Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Willis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People and work environment

Cons

Bad Management and politics in office

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees

Willis Response

Mar 19, 2015Recruitment Partner

Thank you for your feedback. We would like the opportunity to speak with you regarding your experience at Willis to see how we can partner together to improve. If you are willing, please call ... More

11. Overall was an okay experience

I worked at Willis

Pros

Good benefits provided by company

Cons

Some pockets of management could be improved

Willis Response

Mar 19, 2015Recruitment Partner

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear you appreciated our competitive benefits.

Willis Photos