Willis

Willis Reviews

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014

Dominic Casserley

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance with this position (in 12 reviews)

• Some good people who want to see people grow (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management does not have a coherent global strategy or plan (in 11 reviews)

• Expense management strips young professionals of necessary experience to foster growth (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Better than Many

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Willis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1) Work culture is good, 2) Team Work is appreciated & encouraged, 3) Various Fun activities,4) L&D Department conducts various training sessions.5 ) Utmost stability, employees not fired due to losses, etc.6) Low performers are given adequate opportunity to perform, before shown the door.7) Behaviour is assessed on basis of set "Values" including teamwork, Integrity, etc.8) Appraisal process is good.9) Objective setting good.

Cons

1) Management hides lot of things, 2) you wont come to know your buddy is flying to UK/US till the last day.2) Salary Hikes from last 3-4 years is pathetic, 4) Learning & Development conducts sessions for limited concepts like Time Management & Communication skills.5) Infra - structure is limited to accomdate very less meetings. Transport not available to most places. No single unified tool to manage leaves. Each team follows its own way of tracking leaves, etc.

Dec 16, 2014HR Advisor

Thank you for sharing your insight into Willis. We value your opinion into how Willis operates. We recognize the importance of learning and development and currently have lots of moving pieces ... More

Client Manager

I worked at Willis

Pros

Good pay ans benefits. Work with a talented group of professionals

Cons

Management is too hands on

Collegial but cheap and very siloed.

I worked at Willis full-time

Pros

Mostly great people, knowledge and resources. Excellent client advocacy - can be relied upon to find solutions, creative or otherwise, when needed.

Cons

Too many layers of highly politicized management, individual agendas and silos. This resultis in distribution inefficiencies and lack of value to shareholders. And a miserable bonus pool.

Incentivise your employees more. Take a leaf out of Marsh or Aon's book when it comes to distribution - mandate global marketing to maximize value to clients, and book more income in favorable jurisdictions.

Glad I am gone

Former Employee - Account Manager in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Willis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay okay--account managers should be paid hourly instead of exempt--work so much overtime, hourly rate would be minimal

Cons

Have too many required procedures to do what we should be doing--servicing our clients!

Stop implementing new procedures constantly--seems like people are being paid too much just to come up with changes for others trying to do their jobs

Good

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Willis

Pros

Great learning experience, training opportunities, team oriented

Cons

Inefficiencies in processes make it difficult to keep accounts on track

Nov 4, 2014HR Advisor

Thanks for your review. We are happy to hear you mention two of our core values of development and teamwork. For processes to be efficient they need to be living and ever changing with process ... More

Sr. Client Manager

Former Employee - Senior Client Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Client Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Willis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice colleagues for the most part!

Cons

Compensation and benefits are at the bottom of any peer company. Willis is very cheap when it comes to pay, salary increases, bonuses, and overall benefits. If you are considering a job there, just ask about the 401K employer match. Then go to the competition and compare the benefits.

Willis will never be a high performance company and be able to attract top-caliber employees as long as it continues to offer substandard compensation and benefits. Study after study shows that happy employees provide better service to clients and customer. Ask yourselves: Are your employees happy with their comp & ben? Willis should benchmark its benefits against Mercer, Towers Watson, Aon Hewitt, Lockton, etc... to see how it measures up. I am sure there will be no surprise there!!

Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Insurance Broker
    Current Employee - Insurance Broker

I have been working at Willis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Career growth opportunity, good US management team

Cons

Stress, Work-life balance / flexibility

Nov 4, 2014HR Advisor

Thank you for providing feedback. We are pleased to hear you have had the opportunity for career development and have enjoyed the team you work with. Providing a well-rounded work-life balance is a ... More

Sales with little substance

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at Willis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fairly low stress environment unless you are a new sales producer still trying to hit your magic number. Work-life balance is good.

Cons

Individual offices are very territorial...collaboration between offices is basically non-existent. This stems directly from the fact that Willis is essentially a pure sales organization with little substance in the form of value-add consulting, etc. There is a "national practice" that attempts to develop and market value-add services for all individual office locations, but it is not good and most people quite frankly don't pay much attention. It's really all about generating sales and maintaining client relationships with as little value-add as possible. The revenue generated from carrier placement far exceeds any revenue generated from value-add services, and has a much lower cost to the company so it is easy see why this is the case. Although more sophisticated companies in this space have far more comprehensive service offerings and appear to be doing very well because of it.

Willis is a distant 3rd in insurance brokerage and services in the US. In fact, most folks have still never heard of Willis in the US (even with the Willis Tower naming rights in Chicago). My advice for management is to take a serious look at your major competitors and understand that additional, value-add consulting services is required for future existence in this industry. AON merged with Hewitt for a reason; Towers Perrin and Wyatt Watson became Towers Watson for a reason; Marsh always had it right with their Mercer unit. Willis is behind the curve...

Oct 20, 2014HR Advisor

Thank you for your review and providing feedback. As you stated, we are not the largest insurance broker, but we do strive to be the best in the business. We recognize that we cannot obtain our goal ... More

Typical Public Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Willis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The resources for client delivery are excellent, but the training and development are negligible.

Cons

Job Security is low during tough times and mergers. Rounds of layoffs each quarter, resulting in low morale.

Love my Job!!

Current Employee - Client Manager
    Current Employee - Client Manager

I have been working at Willis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team of individuals that I work with who mentor and are supportive in furthering my career and make sure that I achieve my goals.

Cons

Benefits package could be a lot better. The expense seems to be put back on the employee. Also, the pay is lacking compared to some of its competitors.

Sep 24, 2014HR Advisor

Thank you for your kind review, we appreciate it! We couldn’t agree more regarding our associates and the teamwork we offer. Regarding our benefits, we are aware this is an area we can improve upon ... More

Willis Photos

Willis associates displaying the Willis Cause flag in front of the Willis building in Chicago.

+ Add Photo