Willis Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
2.9

Dominic Casserley

Pros
  • Excellent Work/Life Balance especially for Families (in 8 reviews)

• Some good people who want to see people grow (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management does not have a coherent global strategy or plan (in 11 reviews)

• expense management is profoundly unfair (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Love my Job!!

Current Employee - Client Manager
    Current Employee - Client Manager

I have been working at Willis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team of individuals that I work with who mentor and are supportive in furthering my career and make sure that I achieve my goals.

Cons

Benefits package could be a lot better. The expense seems to be put back on the employee. Also, the pay is lacking compared to some of its competitors.

Ok place to work

Current Employee - Client Manager  in  Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Client Manager in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Willis full-time for less than a year

Pros

location and office complex has good amenities. Also ability to work from home in emergencies

Cons

lack of training and leadership from manager. Manager was not focused on the group. No teamwork but lots of individuals.

Descent place to work

Former Employee - Client Service Specialist  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Willis full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of resources. Management is competent and wants you to succeed.

Cons

Your work experience is limited to making sure you do it the Willis way

Need to streamline WEM to allow employees not to act like robots.

Sep 10, 2014HR Advisor

Thanks for your feedback about your experience at Willis. We welcome your WEM suggestion and encourage all of our associates to think outside the box because we believe it truly is our associates who ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great! If you like doing the work of 3 people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Willis full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the people you will interact with are friendly, you will be compensated for performance. The company does have nice events within the office from time to time.

Cons

No, real training upon entry into the company, everyone assumes and acts like you should just know processes and procedures. The insurance benefits are just OK, (Aetna) PPO is not an option for new employees, your only option is a high deductible plan, and if you want funding contributions you are forced to complete a Redbrick Health blood test for discounts. To summary understaffed on purpose to increase the bottomline and you will not be trained in an effective enough matter to complete the mountains of work that will be given to you.

Hire enough people to get the job done if you plan to compete with the larger brokerage firms. And for the managers that attempt to make people feel guilty for using vacation time their hard work earned them, stop it.....right now.

Aug 28, 2014HR Advisor

Thank you for your review. While our goal may not be to be the largest broker firm, we do strive to be the best and believe that all stems with hiring great associates. When it comes to benefits, we ... More

Willis Re - General Overview

Current Employee - Willis Re  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Willis Re in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Willis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay, some very talented coworkers below management, and some flexibilty in hours and scheduling.

Cons

If you want to make decent money, but are willing to forego ecellence, then work for Willis. In all areas, including broking, client support, and analytics, Willis emphasizes conforming to management initiatives. Expect mediocre to poor managers hired from outside who are given control of seasoned and skilled internal resources, and do not know how to utiliize the resources, but are keen on capitalizing on and taking credit for work they have not done. Creativity is not valued. Expect micro-managers and processes to dominate your career at this company.

Be very careful when hiring new management. All potential managers should be given a probationary period, and only after successfully achieving set criteria should they be allowed to manage. Too much faith given to outside "management experience", which may or may not transfer to Willis. Take more stock of internal staff and their opinions.

good company with some great people

Current Employee - Producer  in  Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Producer in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Willis full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

some creative and innovative people, good brand recognition. Hard to get fired from Willis.

Cons

seems like they struggle to make good long term investments in light of the next quarter's earnings call. Also, account managment salary seems to lag the industry.

Management has improved with Dominic. Main advice is to think long term when making company investments. Need to balance need to retain key talent with shareholder returns. The shareholders don't win if the talent walks out.

Aug 28, 2014HR Advisor

With roots dating back almost 200 years we believe it shows Willis’s ability to adapt to the ever changing times and to “think long term.” We couldn’t agree more when it comes to retaining our talent ... More

Good work life Balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Willis full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good work/life Balance.

Cons

Not much learning, not a very dynamic work enviroment.

Aug 20, 2014HR Advisor

Thanks for the review. We appreciate that you posted that Willis provides a “Good work life balance,” as that is something we strive for. At Willis, we view learning as a proactive, shared process ... More

A good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radnor, PA

I worked at Willis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

entrepreneurial atmosphere, strong compensation for good performers

Cons

the region I worked in didn't have a lot of room for advancement

more advancement opportunities, employees would benefit from seeing more internal promotions

Aug 12, 2014HR Advisor

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Willis is a global company that offers opportunities in a variety of fields and we value the resources and knowledge internal candidates are able to ... More

A good place to learn the ins and outs of Group Health Insurance.

Former Employee - Benefit Administrator
    Former Employee - Benefit Administrator

I worked at Willis full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A very fast paced place to work. A lot of very smart and very hard working coworkers.

Cons

The only complaint I had was it seemed like the people in human resources were very influenced by people they shouldn't have been influenced by. Most people who got let go were understandable but there were a few that left those of us in admin scratching our heads.

Make sure that men and women are promoted equaly

Jul 29, 2014HR Advisor

We couldn't agree more that our Willis associates are smart, hard working and completely dedicated to providing the best service in the insurance brokerage business. The Company’s HR team is a ... More

What isn't wrong would be easier to answer..

I have been working at Willis

Pros

Global network is great but it stops there.

Cons

Management is about the poorest I've ever seen. Promoting people into positions that do not have the experience needed to run an office smoothly. Too much "buddy system". No equal advancement. The work just keeps piling on without relief, tho they claim there is.. that's another story. They have allowed their producers to act badly towards the other staff. 401K match is one of the worst in the industry, 3%. Dominic Casserly promised change and to take care of the employees.. all I see is the same blah.. blah.. blah.. sad.

First, get some "real" management. And then start at the top and see if you could EVER get the top dog to do what he stated he was going to do, take care of the employees, their biggest asset. Get rid of some of the systems! There is a checklist, for a checklist, for a checklist, for a checklist. It is the point of being ridiculous. You're so busy doing checklists to CYA, you can't get your work done. Do you think you might be able to get some people who actually can do a certificate right the first time? Moving all that to Mumbai was the worst mistake ever! Most of the time you can't eve understand them and they have absolutely no idea what you are talking about because they don't know anything about insurance. That penny saved, just turned into $50 of employees having to straighten out the messes when all those certificates are issued. Quit being so penny wise and pound foolish.
    And, before the Willis Responder responds, please don't as there is nothing that can be said after all these years, I've heard it all. Quit talking and take action! Do something!

Sep 3, 2014HR Advisor

While your review is not one we like to hear, we do appreciate your feedback regarding your experience at Willis. Regarding your first comment on that the,” Global network is great,” that is one of ... More

Worked for Willis? Contribute to the Community!