Willis

www.willis.com

Willis Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Willis – Chicago – “Willis associates displaying the Willis Cause…”

Willis – Chicago – “Willis associates displaying the Willis Cause…”

Dominic Casserley

Pros
  • Excellent Work/Life Balance especially for Families (in 8 reviews)

• Some good people who want to see people grow (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management does not have a coherent global strategy or plan (in 11 reviews)

• expense management is profoundly unfair (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGot a lot of experience - trial by fire.
    Some good people who want to see people grow.
    Some great clients.

ConsUnmanageable workload, too many systems, low pay, raises and bonuses went to the "favorites" who didn't earn them. Prefer to hire from outside rather than promote from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because you hit your numbers, doesn't mean that the team doesn't need to be cleaned.

I have been at Willis a little over two years and the resources are deep, the environment and culture are great.

Producer (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe company invests heavily in technology, and it is all about the Client. There are great people in the leadership positions throughout the firm.

ConsIf you are not good at your job you will not last long.

Willis Response

May 28, 2014HR Advisor

Thanks for your feedback! At Willis we aim to be number one in class and in resources to set our employees, and our clients, up for success. We’re always working to improve our processes and help our ... More

Payables Spealist

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe timings are really great you get a whole day left for yourself and a pretty good morning wake up habit

ConsThe company superiors are very biased with their own interest & never really help any one really worthy to grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct like a company not a government.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

GOOD

ProsEnvironment is very good for working

Conssalary is not very satisfied

Willis

Claim Advocate (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGreat work environment with alot of flexibility

ConsStated corporate values not shared by local manager

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Managment should do more to ensure that lower level managers apply our values to employees as well as our clients.

Great place to work!

ProsStrong emphasis on employee professional development, opportunities for advancement. Strong leadership. Great benefits. Great culture, the Willis Values are lived on a daily basis.

ConsNone that I can think of.

premier brokerage for employee benefits with excellent national and international resources

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsYou will learn lots and become a sophisticated broker and consultant. If you crave responsibility, it will always be there for the taking.

ConsYou will work hard. Not a place for slackers! It is very much a sales environment, so the producers are big fish in a small pond whereas the service team(s) are not consistently shown much love.

Adverse, toxic and demoralizing workplace

Insurance Broker (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBenefits are competitive. 401k match is below market.

ConsCoworkers lie, backstab and ruin others reputations, so they can earn their commissions and save themselves from their own mistakes.
    Leadership promotes favorites - nepotism is everywhere
    You are treated like a robot - given orders, asked to be quiet and do what you are told.
    No worklife balance - I was expected to work on Christmas day every year.
    No professional development training whatsoever.
    Salary is 30% below what other employers in the area offer.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign.

Disorganized management, low pay, no raises

Escrow Specialist (Former Employee) Solon, OH

ProsDecent amount of vacation time; Casual dress

ConsI worked at this company for ten years. Throughout the entire course of that decade, I only received one fifty cent raise. The only reason I stayed was because they kept assuring me the pay freeze was coming to an end and that they would overcompensate for the lack of raises if I would stick it out, but then that would never happen. I was personally promised a 50% raise if I waited until a certain date, so I felt it was in my best interest to stay, but that never happened. This company is on an infinite pay freeze. They pay their new hires in more and more each year, but they don't raise up their existing workers up to where the new hires are pay wise. So you are training someone who is getting paid a great deal more than you are to do the exact job you have been doing for years!! By the time I left, every coworker I had was scrambling to find a different job.
    Also, this company has one of the worst management styles that I have ever experienced. They do not listen to their workers' suggestions who see the day-to-day problems. You are discouraged to communicate to coworkers or to management. While I was there, I was written up for answering a coworker's question because they were only to ask managers questions. I had been there for ten years and the person who asked me a question was in her second month of working there, and she had a client on the phone inquiring about something. Management was busy and she asked me and I gave her the answer, and they have a policy that you are not allowed to answer the questions of others. Management makes the craziest policies that actually are counterproductive and hinder work flow, which results in loss of clients, and eventually fairly large layoffs. One of the policies that management has is that you are not allowed to email clients directly nor are you allowed to email anyone directly. (coworkers, etc.) You are to email the office manager, and if she decides that it was written in a polite, non-offensive tone, she passes it along to whoever it is to. Therefore, urgent issues are not handled in a timely manner. Management is hired externally and do not welcome input from those underneath them, so they make horrible decisions which results in chaos and unhappy clients.
    This job was also sued throughout my course of time there on multiple occasions for being a hostile work environment. People have successfully won these law suits.
    ***I would very strongly advise against taking a position within this company.***

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those underneath you! They are the ones participating in the work process and they therefore have good ideas and suggestions. Have more of an open door policy as far as feedback/concerns/ideas. COMPENSATE YOUR WORKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Create a solid pay increase schedule. (Choose a month and give standard cost-of-living raises during this month every year like most other companies!!!)

Run

Client Manager (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsNone, This was one of the worst career choices I have made. Everyone was looking to jump ship if an opportunity arose.

ConsBad management, poor morale, lack of control over staff. Poor performers are kept and there is a lot of irrational decision-making. Client managers are treated poorly while maintaining the accounts and providing the information to producers to expand their business. The review process makes no sense and varies from manager to manager. Poor performer but well liked with a lax boss. 5's around the board.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew leadership is needed in Charlotte

Worked for Willis? Contribute to the Community!