Willis

Willis Reviews

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014

Dominic Casserley

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance with this position (in 12 reviews)

• Some good people who want to see people grow (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management does not have a coherent global strategy or plan (in 11 reviews)

• Expense management strips young professionals of necessary experience to foster growth (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

premier brokerage for employee benefits with excellent national and international resources

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Willis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You will learn lots and become a sophisticated broker and consultant. If you crave responsibility, it will always be there for the taking.

Cons

You will work hard. Not a place for slackers! It is very much a sales environment, so the producers are big fish in a small pond whereas the service team(s) are not consistently shown much love.

A decent experience...

I worked at Willis

Pros

People were very nice, and allowed me to gain a deeper understanding of insurance/broking. They really stress the "one flag" mentality.

Cons

The work environment there seemed rather laid back, and when out of the 'busy' season it can get rather quiet.

Seeing some great changes going forward.

Former Employee - Commercial Account Executive in Lewiston, ME
    Former Employee - Commercial Account Executive in Lewiston, ME

I worked at Willis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have some great plans in place and currently already in place for some changes that are all positive

Cons

I lost my job due to the sale of the Maine operations. It was sad to see a smaller agency take over the operations. It was hard to believe that this was able to happen after all the talk of committing to our Maine Operations.

Try to keep the talent by working with them on situations like the Maine Operations being sold. It was very sad to see I was not able to stay with the organization. I worked with some amazing talented people and will miss working with them.

Not the biggest - the best

I have been working at Willis full-time

Pros

People are great
    Client focused
    Lots of resources
    Decent pay and benefits

Cons

Somewhat disorganized - can be a challenge to find the right resource outside of local office
    Name not as well known so sales process a bit longer then usual
    Very tight with expenses

Like the rhetoric- lets see effective execution. You're doing good so far but need to expand the vision.

Willis favors it's producers over the support staff.

I worked at Willis full-time

Pros

Benefits are competitive to other brokers.

Cons

High turnover with support staff.
    Long hours are expected.

Takes a while for the honey-moon phase to pass, yet when it does, the dysfunction becomes crystal clear.

Former Employee - HCP
    Former Employee - HCP

I worked at Willis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some employees that are dedicated, and they form the back-bone of the company. Good internal coursework.

Cons

Hiring for teams takes far too long - staffing issues do not become a priority until a deadline has passed. Branch management had an "open-door" policy, but only in theory. Still a good-ol'-boy company. Nothing is done to keep 'negative' employees under control.

Make decisions more quickly, especially when it comes to hiring to bolster busy teams. Pay more attention to the employees, don't run so lean that it burns out committed employees. Be more open to embracing a work-life balance (i.e. telecommuting).

There is no one word that can truly describe this company

Former Employee - Senior Client Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Client Manager

I worked at Willis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are none to list

Cons

26 years in the insurance business. Started out with small agency that was sold to HRH and then to Willis in 2008. Micromanagement at its very finest. Willis treated us like we were total idiots, incapable of doing our jobs without their help. Saw some of the hardest working people I have met in life - most with 25+ years of service- leave this company due to the treatment that they bestowed upon us. Had management look us in the eye and tell us they were committed to doing business in the state only to sell us out at the end of 2013 to the highest bidder. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy. Willis likes to tout about their values and their "cause" - They have NO values and the only cause they are committed to is how much money they can make. They lie to their employees, treat them like pieces of property that when they are done with they easily discard like trash. Can't make a decision to save their souls. Totally disorganized. Last 5 years working for them have been the hardest,longest and most depressing years of my work life.

Take a good long hard look at how you treat your employees. They are not "human capital" as you so like to call us

They will use your industry knowledge and then cut you lose for someone cheaper at the first opportunity.

Former Employee - Program Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Willis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a large company with a lot of resources so you can get things done if you work at it. You can work anywhere in the world in a number of different roles.

Cons

You are treated like an asset, so like a computer, you can be replaced at any time. Quite a few people leave, but not many retire.

Very poor treatment of employees.

Current Employee - Human Resources Advisor in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Advisor in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Willis full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Well known company with numerous locations across the globe.

Cons

No opportunities for advancements and the company views their employees as disposable and do not appreciate their employees desire to grow. No help from the company to attain any educational goals. Company only appreciates associates in sales roles.

Take more pride in your employees and help them attain their educational goals.

Very good people and sales culture but very poor senior management

Former Employee - Employee Benefit Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Employee Benefit Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Willis full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A mix of very good people as well as the sales culture

Cons

Senior management does not have a coherent global strategy or plan

The firm has to learn how put better, more experienced and strategic people in senior roles. If Willis does not learn how to grow the top line, it is going to fail and lose to better run companies

Willis Photos

Willis associates displaying the Willis Cause flag in front of the Willis building in Chicago.

+ Add Photo