WillowTree Apps

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014
4.7

Tobias A. Dengel

Our people and company culture make WillowTree an amazing place to work

I have been working at WillowTree Apps full-time for more than a year

Pros

To me it's the people that make a place, and that couldn't be truer of WillowTree. My co-workers are genuine, funny, honest, and incredibly intelligent. There is a ton of work to do at all times here, and thankfully I have yet to come across anyone in this office I'd call "a slacker." We have our share of stressors like any company that is actively growing, but from what I've observed the people who work here consistently "rise to the occasion" when challenges arise.

Cons

There are no major cons to working here; I only have small critiques that I believe workplaces everywhere deal with from time to time (e.g. communication between teams).

The managers and executive team at WillowTree are excellent human beings. They are open to new ideas, intellectually curious, and I genuinely believe they are working towards a vision that most everyone at this company would get behind. However, I think leadership could do a better job communicating and articulating to the team what that vision is from time to time. Overall, management at WillowTree deserves a lot of credit. They consistently put people ahead of "business interests." This is what they should continue doing, especially as our company continues to evolve. It will be key to their continued success.

Sep 9, 2014Director of Recruiting

Thanks for this thoughtful review. Agreed that the people here at WillowTree make the company. Leadership continues to work on being transparent and keeping every person informed of their vision ... More

Awesome People, Great Atmosphere

Current Employee - Business Development  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree Apps full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked in a lot of different types of organizations, government, private companies and nonprofits and WillowTree Apps treats me better than any employer I have ever had. The management is always willing to help teach and mentor me, and I learn daily from the entire team. We have great opportunities to go to conferences, work with incredible clients, and truly experiment with new technology during R&D projects.

I would recommend WTA to anyone!

Cons

It takes discipline to maintain a work life balance, because the work is so enjoyable you want to do it in your spare time!

Awesome Experience

Current Employee - Senior Android Developer  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Android Developer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree Apps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been here for almost 3 years and I've learned so much. The opportunities to learn and implement bleeding edge technology is unparallelled. The open environment adds to the atmosphere and seems to encourage camaraderie among the groups that share the space.

The co-workers here are the best part. No one is a douche and everyone gets along. There's not a single person here that I wouldn't drink a beer with, which is a nice segue into my next topic: Beer. More generally, the social events that WillowTree hosts in order to foster closer relationships among co-workers. Weekly beer:30's on Friday where we get a beer and just socialize. Weekly R&D meetings where we get pizza and talk about what's new in our technological world. It's something that is probably underrated by most. For a company like WillowTree to have the Esprit de corps that they have while still growing fairly rapidly is a feat in itself.

The usual pros apply here as well: Good pay, they give you a Macbook to work on, 401k, profit sharing, etc. They're all nice, but nothing beats a workplace that you actually look forward to going to every weekday.

Cons

I suppose the upward mobility is fairly limited, since the management structure is fairly flat. Also the open office is nice, but can get loud. Personally I like it, and it tends to become white noise most of the time.

Keep up the good work, seriously. Keep the culture. It's a very strong bonus.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Environment

Current Employee - User Experience Designer  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree Apps full-time for less than a year

Pros

Compared to other organizations I have been a part of, WillowTree Apps is really unique. The DRI (Directly Responsible Individual) system and overall environment is different and sets the company apart from others. The level of teamwork and the company culture is truly amazing... you are trusted to get your work done and take care of things without being micromanaged.

Cons

Not really any cons... the DRI system can be stressful at first (everyone from designers to developers manage and interact with clients) but I have come to like it a lot.

No room for advancement and pressure to deliver on time ahead of budget means ultra long hours.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree Apps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working on cutting edge technology/apps, pipeline of work is non-stop

Cons

Lack of PMs means you spend more time interacting with clients directly than getting code delivered

Less red tape, better compensation/bonus package, less PM with clients

Apr 23, 2014Director of Recruiting

Many of these areas are being addressed right now.

Designers and developers are encouraged to decide if they want to act in a DRI role or not. If they do, DRI training is now being implemented
    ... More

So far so good!

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree Apps full-time for less than a year

Pros

fun exciting projects, knowledgeable and friendly people all 'round.

Cons

So far so good. :)

Fun, Vast Array of Opportunities, Smart Folks!

Current Employee - Director of Marketing  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree Apps full-time for less than a year

Pros

They take care of their employees
    Smart, competent co-workers
    Turning out great work for clients

Cons

When I think of one, I will revise my post.

Keep the organization flat like it is... so nice to be able to pass the CEO or CTO in the hall and strike up a conversation - and he truly listens.

flat structure, fast-growing company

I worked at WillowTree Apps as an intern for more than a year

Pros

* People there are young, friendly, knowledgeable, passionate about mobile and know their stuff -- you might get to be one of these people and head off to several of the conferences
    * weekly R&D sessions to learn about something, anything, worth knowing
    * stocked kitchen + happy hours
    * you work on exciting projects in a relevant, expanding industry
    * flat structure -- heads of companies don't have separate offices -- they work side by side with the employees

Cons

* usually work at least 50 hour weeks - so this isn't a company where the clock hits 5 and everyone drops their work

Awesome place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree Apps full-time

Pros

Very flat organization, so not a bunch of titles and management. Can talk to the owners of the company anytime you want. Everyone is made to feel important and valued; work is incredibly interesting and cutting edge; great culture and fun office; new ideas and improvements encouraged from everyone; everyone is accountable - no BS and no passing the buck.

Cons

I haven't really found any.

Keep it up.

Apr 23, 2014Director of Recruiting

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at WillowTree Apps as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-Start up culture: open air office, casual work environment
    -Lots of smart people to learn from as an Intern
    -Fast growing company with a promising future
    -Lots of varied projects to work on

Cons

-Need a better balance between casual / professional interaction
    -Lack of transparency regarding firing decisions is scary for employees

Be a little more transparent with expectations of employees. Several instances of people being let go were completely unexpected and never formally talked about. This is very bad for employee morale.

Worked for WillowTree Apps? Contribute to the Community!