Wilmerhale

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
3.3

Susan W. Murley & Robert T. Novick

Pros
  • Competitive salary and the opportunity to work a lot of overtime (in 4 reviews)

• Good people to work with on a personal level (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No such thing as work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Not a lot of room for growth on support staff side (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

big law firm, management shows no loyalty to staff,

Former Employee - Technology Support Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Technology Support Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Wilmerhale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, four day work week was available for some positions

Cons

management will make decisions purely on how to save money
    even when unnecessary
    such as relocated jobs to another part of the country so they can pay less money for same positions and receive fed and state tax benefits, all during the firms most profitable year and the 2009 recession

Fat and Happy

I worked at Wilmerhale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work environment is very pleasant, and the attorneys and staff are friendly.
    The staff is conscientious and very anxious to please, especially those in the Dayton business center.

Cons

While there is a lot of attention to attorney hours, management is otherwise complacent and reactive. This may be due to having co-managing partners in Boston and Washington DC.

Get serious about firm management.

Not a big fan

Current Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wilmerhale

Pros

Excellent benefits. Decent bonus structure (could be better- recognize those that go above and beyond). You can really learn a lot if you want to. After 10 years of service you get 2 months off paid in full.

Cons

Many managers are not qualified for managing the departments they are in charge of managing. Moral is very low because of this. A lot of negativity amongst support staff. Training should be better. The firm seems to focus on training the staff of things they already know. We would like to learn new techniques and skills. The annual raises are very low. Do not expect a cost of living raise.

Focus on management. Hire managers that are experienced in the fields that are in charge of managing.

Good training, but may be changing

Former Employee - Technology Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Technology Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Wilmerhale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I started when Jim Lampert was still in the Boston office. He would tell stories about his career and teach us about caselaw. It felt like a collegial and academic place. We had weekly training lunch meetings, where we would discuss recent cases or review an area of the law (and get free food!). I also liked my supervisors and felt like I got a lot of one-on-one training.

The culture was good--people were respectful and friendly. We were well-compensated and had good benefits (including time off). I don't think anyone ever complained about the salary.

Cons

A lot of senior associates left shortly after I did. And Jim Lampert also retired recently. I am not sure what exactly is happening, but it does seem like the culture is perhaps changing and WH is becoming less special as a place to work (less academic, more competitive). I think the associates felt that their hours were too long, but I can't tell if that's just any big law firm.

I think the firm is emphasizing patent prosecution less and less. This is not great because this is how law firms really get into business with start-ups and how IP associates diversify their practice.

Overall, management was collegial. I think the firm structure of "eat what you kill" may be affecting decisions more that it should.

Poor management, great benefits

Current Employee - Discovery Attorney in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Wilmerhale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits including flextime/flexspace, etc. Interesting cases to work on.

Cons

Poor management in Dayton, very disorganized and not aware of firm policies, etc. 2 Managers that don't know what the other is doing and have no real responsibilities, so create all kinds of things to keep themselves busy which results in more work for everyone around them. No real advancement, but pay is good for what we do. Lot of small hoops to jump through for everything.

Typical, big law environment, good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wilmerhale full-time

Pros

Very supportive staff and peers. Fast-paced and positive work environment. Excellent benefits and salary. Case teams were large but cohesive and well-organized.

Cons

Leadership seemingly unaware and uninterested in what supporting attorneys do or what their role is. Very solid and secure cash flow, yet lay offs occurred.

Don't run the firm like a big business. Law is a service industry and to give excellent service, the attorneys and their staff are the very tools needed to keep clients happy.

Worked like a slave, not appreciated

Current Employee - Project Assistant
    Current Employee - Project Assistant

I have been working at Wilmerhale full-time

Pros

A lot of overtime if you want it, which can significantly increase your salary; socials monthly; bonus if you do well enough in January

Cons

The attorneys are all nice for the most part, but I, as well as others, have run into ones that are not so nice. If you're a project assistant, expect to basically only make binders and spreadsheets. No one teaches anything here, so you won't learn. There will be many nights when you're there late, and you will question yourself, what am. I still doing here? Project assistants work in storage rooms.

Emphasize the difference between paralegals and project assistants. Not really fair that we basically do the same work, but project assistants are paid significantly less. Also, be fair.

Flexible, Good Experience for younger attorneys

Current Employee - Discovery Attorney in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Wilmerhale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Scheduling is super-flexible once you know what you're doing; good pay for the work completed; Firm picks up cost of CLE and 2 bar association memberships. Option to work from home some days every week following a probation period. Infrastructure of a big firm but small-office feel in Dayton. Generous benefits. Free parking. Opportunity to work with the latest software and review platforms, as well as diverse client matters across practice groups. Business casual dress.

Cons

The cube farm environment affords zero privacy; career pathing is non-existent. A lot of people stay for a year or two and then move on - either to another attorney job or to return to school. The Firm could keep its experienced attorneys if there were some mobility or options for those who work to develop more skills. Kettering earnings tax is high. No on-site cafeteria or gym.

Jeans days more often. More perks in Dayton like the bigger offices in Boston, New York, DC, etc.

Good Experience

I have been working at Wilmerhale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and PTO and lots of great internal support and resources. Beautiful office and views, and most attorneys were very nice and respectful to work with.

Cons

Not a lot of room to grow. While job tasks were challenging at times, there weren't a lot of options to develop skills or learn new things.

One of the best law firms to work for.

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Wilmerhale as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

High level of expertise in all areas of law; room for professional growth; some to the best employee benefits I've ever seen in a law firm or company.

Cons

Some of the attorneys can be slightly overbearing.