Wilmerhale

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
3.5

Susan W. Murley & Robert T. Novick

Pros
  • Competitive salary and the opportunity to work a lot of overtime (in 4 reviews)

• Good people to work with on a personal level (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No such thing as work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Not a lot of room for growth on support staff side (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company for Corporate Finance/Accounting

I worked at Wilmerhale

Pros

Great Co-Workers, Management ensured that employees were being developed and that their voices were heard,

Cons

Vacation time could have been better as well as the compensation structure, paid once a month

Be upfront with compensation structure so that it is less of a shock

Staff is treated entirely differently than attorneys

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Wilmerhale

Pros

Really smart people, gorgeous building, great benefits, ability to work with one of the most influential biglaw's out there- plus it rose from the mayhem of law firm implosions relatively unscathed.

Cons

The cultural difference between staff and attorneys was almost laughable. The all firm holiday party was not greeted kindly by the attorney's who insisted on having their own too- attorney's only. It was a clear, palpable difference between time billers & cost centers.

IT Program Management

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wilmerhale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation and Benefits, great working environment, interesting projects and opportunity to learn new technology

Cons

Dealing with type A customers

big law firm, management shows no loyalty to staff,

Former Employee - Technology Support Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Technology Support Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Wilmerhale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, four day work week was available for some positions

Cons

management will make decisions purely on how to save money
    even when unnecessary
    such as relocated jobs to another part of the country so they can pay less money for same positions and receive fed and state tax benefits, all during the firms most profitable year and the 2009 recession

Not a big fan

Current Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wilmerhale

Pros

Excellent benefits. Decent bonus structure (could be better- recognize those that go above and beyond). You can really learn a lot if you want to. After 10 years of service you get 2 months off paid in full.

Cons

Many managers are not qualified for managing the departments they are in charge of managing. Moral is very low because of this. A lot of negativity amongst support staff. Training should be better. The firm seems to focus on training the staff of things they already know. We would like to learn new techniques and skills. The annual raises are very low. Do not expect a cost of living raise.

Focus on management. Hire managers that are experienced in the fields that are in charge of managing.

Fat and Happy

I worked at Wilmerhale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work environment is very pleasant, and the attorneys and staff are friendly.
    The staff is conscientious and very anxious to please, especially those in the Dayton business center.

Cons

While there is a lot of attention to attorney hours, management is otherwise complacent and reactive. This may be due to having co-managing partners in Boston and Washington DC.

Get serious about firm management.

Good training, but may be changing

Former Employee - Technology Specialist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Technology Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Wilmerhale full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I started when Jim Lampert was still in the Boston office. He would tell stories about his career and teach us about caselaw. It felt like a collegial and academic place. We had weekly training lunch meetings, where we would discuss recent cases or review an area of the law (and get free food!). I also liked my supervisors and felt like I got a lot of one-on-one training.

The culture was good--people were respectful and friendly. We were well-compensated and had good benefits (including time off). I don't think anyone ever complained about the salary.

Cons

A lot of senior associates left shortly after I did. And Jim Lampert also retired recently. I am not sure what exactly is happening, but it does seem like the culture is perhaps changing and WH is becoming less special as a place to work (less academic, more competitive). I think the associates felt that their hours were too long, but I can't tell if that's just any big law firm.

I think the firm is emphasizing patent prosecution less and less. This is not great because this is how law firms really get into business with start-ups and how IP associates diversify their practice.

Overall, management was collegial. I think the firm structure of "eat what you kill" may be affecting decisions more that it should.

Very Stagnant, No Opportunities For Growth

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY

I worked at Wilmerhale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Firm was becoming more corporate with the move.

Cons

Pay rate was below the market rate; Management played favorites; Other legal secretaries were bullies, no sense of team effort.

None. Since they are in management and have the credentials to do the job, they should already know how to do what's right and fair and not repeat the same Cons that they've done in the past when they were still on Park Avenue.

Poor management, great benefits

Current Employee - Discovery Attorney in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Discovery Attorney in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Wilmerhale full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits including flextime/flexspace, etc. Interesting cases to work on.

Cons

Poor management in Dayton, very disorganized and not aware of firm policies, etc. 2 Managers that don't know what the other is doing and have no real responsibilities, so create all kinds of things to keep themselves busy which results in more work for everyone around them. No real advancement, but pay is good for what we do. Lot of small hoops to jump through for everything.

Typical, big law environment, good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wilmerhale full-time

Pros

Very supportive staff and peers. Fast-paced and positive work environment. Excellent benefits and salary. Case teams were large but cohesive and well-organized.

Cons

Leadership seemingly unaware and uninterested in what supporting attorneys do or what their role is. Very solid and secure cash flow, yet lay offs occurred.

Don't run the firm like a big business. Law is a service industry and to give excellent service, the attorneys and their staff are the very tools needed to keep clients happy.