Wilson Sporting Goods

www.wilson.com

Wilson Sporting Goods Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014
Wilson Sporting Goods – Chicago – “W floor”

Chris Considine

Great Company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay and benefits; A long tradition as a leader in the industry; good company values

ConsIn manufacturing, work-life balance sometimes suffers due to the seasonal nature of the business.

One big family.

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsA lot of the employees have dedicated most of their lives to making Wilson what it is. The brand personality is the company personality; humble, happy and full of quality. It is fun to have sporting equipment all around you all day long and with the casual attire, it makes work seem like play.

ConsThe company is full of veterans who are hard to change and newbies who tend to not know what they are doing. There is not a lot of mentoring, so you are on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementStraighten out the career paths. Lose the matrix reporting. Brag more about the brand. Keep the coffee.

Getting better?

ProsGreat employees and supervisors to a point,enjoy working with my co-workers. Good discount program.

ConsNo great advancement opportunities,unless you are good friends with supervision. Even seen one employee told by his supervisor that he was awarded a crew leader position that he interviewed for,but,15 minutes later,he was told that the mgr. decided to give the position to someone else that didn't interview. They have an efficiency program,that has some misgivings,like an across the board number to reach,but,each person that is doing the job could be way ahead of others,and you have one or two people that do the easiest jobs while everybody else has to hustle to attain their goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook more into the way raises are given,using the efficiency system to deny raises is unfair,you have one or two people doing jobs with assistance from the supervisor,which gives them a tremendous jump on everyone else,then when others don't make the numbers mgmt. can show numbers and say that is the reason you do not get a raise. At the Nashville SRDC,we do not get personal days,sick days,we are told that we get enough time off with holidays,and vacation time. Now if a person misses a day due to a sickness,we are told we get 1 point against us,5 points within a year can result in termination?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood work culture, management, and atmosphere

ConsThere doesn't seem to be a lot of career opportunities within the company

OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat products at good prices for employees

ConsIt was hard being the new person when everyone has been there 20 plus years

Customer Service Representative

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCompany perks; easy access to sporting good equipment; free product; the people are highly energized and passionate about their work (for the most part)

ConsCustomer service is frequently neglected; company praises promotions from within and then hires externally; salary is low and company is okay with the high turnover ratio

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach

Good place to work, advancement challenging

Territory Manager (Former Employee) Tustin, CA

ProsVery independent, management supportive of efforts to increase business.

ConsAccount base shrinking, market being dominated by big box retailers

Great company to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLove the product and the spirit of the company. When employees say they bleed Wilson Red, they really do. The environment is open to innovation and new ideas. The CEO is trusted and leads Wilson Spirit.

ConsIT infrastructure is lacking which slows down progress. The HR department is not approachable and needs to smile once in a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the infrastructure. Give HR a chill pill.

exciting place to see sports equipment develop

ProsGreat mix of talented people trying to improve the well established sporting goods products . Friendly work environment and constant challenges .

ConsSometimes there are conflicting goals which distract the personnel from the core of the business processes. More structured training time is needed for new personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlign your goals.

Great company

Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosfun culture, small teams, accessible management

Conscan be difficult to advance quickly

Worked for Wilson Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!