WilsonHCG Reviews

Reset
3.8
WilsonHCG CEO John Wilson
John Wilson

Pros
  • Love the virtual environment although it was tricky to get used to initially (in 12 reviews)

• Good company culture; everyone is very helpful and supportive (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • While not necessarily a con, such a fast-paced environment can sometimes make a work-life balance a challenge (in 5 reviews)

• Limited career path, even for a "top" recruiter like myself (in 4 reviews)

1. Recruitment Consultant

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Arlington, TX

I have been working at WilsonHCG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great bonus potential, benefits, flex time, cohesiveness

Cons

Working from home, I miss the office interaction.

Advice to Management

In cities with at least 10 employees within a 50 mile radius to have an office that they can come into at least for the all in team call.

Make Sure to Read All Reviews- Honest Ones Get Moved Down!

I worked at WilsonHCG full-time

Pros

-The ability to work with and get to know some fantastic people. I really enjoyed working with my teammates

Cons

This company turned out to be such a disappointment. First, I am not sure how all of the honest reviews that are more recent that the ones at the top of the page get moved down to the bottom. If you are considering this company for employment, please make sure to view all of the reviews and not just the first few. This company has horrible leadership. One in particular, who has been referenced in other reviews, is a "bully" and has a different personality every time you speak with her. They load up their recruiters with WAY too much work- they like to call them "stretch assignments"...if you don't take a "stretch assignment" , you are looked down upon. If you do, you are working 60-70 hour weeks just to keep up. Executive management leads by example which is where the problem starts. They are managers, they are NOT leaders. You cannot trust the CEOs word. It makes my stomach turn seeing all of the positive reviews on here that they ONLY receive because they send requests to their employees to write them. I myself had 3 requests from marketing and they would follow up if they didn't see one published. This company has turned very unethical and I am ashamed that I ever worked here. This company also underpays recruiters. I am making almost double at my new position. Unethical to clients, overpromise and they tell clients that they have "dedicated resources" and that "resource" (which they should call an EMPLOYEE) ends up being dedicated to 2 accounts!!! Yes, that is what they call their people- resources. My mid-manager would say it on conference calls- "We are putting 2 more "resources" on our account. They do not value PEOPLE. Their slogan is "Better People, Better Business"...that is a true statement but should NOT be tied to this company. They do not live up to their core values. They do not appreciate you. Every.Single.Person I have spoken with who has left is a thousand times happier, and LESS STRESSED OUT. There are so many great RPOs out there- this one is the bottom of the barrel. When I resigned, I can't even tell you how many current employees reached out to me to help them get out of here. Do not walk. Run.

Advice to Management

I am not even going to bother, because you do not respect or appreciate any feedback or advice from your employees, current or past. Executive management leads by a very poor example and leads by fear. I know that I was treated unfairly several times, and wish I would have done more about it. You are not the company that you once were and A HUGE PERCENTAGE of your tenured, successful employees have LEFT THE ORGANIZATION. Do I need to say more?

WHCG should stand for Wicked Hiring Creates Grievance

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at WilsonHCG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Built a few great relationships with people inside the organization. Was able to work from home which was nice.

Cons

Where do I begin….I’m not going to spend the time writing about all the concerns everyone else has put down because it would just be repeating the same facts, which are 100% factual day to day occurrences at this company. I truly believe the CEO means what he says about employee engagement and recognition however, he does not stand by his commitment and there is no follow through which in turn is why you have unprofessional and vindictive executive leadership. You cannot expect to keep good people with morals and integrity when one of your head executive leaders installs fear in people and puts targets on their backs if you do not agree with what she says. Not to mention, you never know who you are going to get on the other end of the phone as each day comes with a different personality. That is just one example out of many executive leaders and managers but it trickles down hill. If executive leadership is showing managers that this is acceptable behavior, then they too will behave the same way towards their recruiters and sourcers. I left because the only good manager I had ended up leaving because of this. She had integrity and cared about her team. I could not work for any other manager as they are all horrible. It’s sad how the company has lost and continues to lose the good people and retains the bad ones.

Advice to Management

Nothing will change in this company if you don’t accept what is truly going on. Acknowledging a problem is one thing but having the competency to accept it is another….it starts there.

Broken Promises

I worked at WilsonHCG (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility to work from wherever Variety of accounts/positions to work on

Cons

WHCG over promises to clients which makes for poor relationships between Recruiters/CRMs and the client since Recruiters/CRMs are unable to deliver to the standard that you have promised them. Go back to under promising and letting your employees over deliver! Listen to your employees. If there is an issue being brought up by multiple people, chances are something is obviously wrong. Too many cliques within the company. Upper level management should start being a better role model and split the cliques up. Promote people that actually deserve to be promoted, not just the ones you like better. Invest in more resources for your employees so they can actually do their job. As a specialized recruiting company, resources and tools should be given out just like laptops. How else do you expect your recruiters to do their jobs without the tools that are necessary? Start paying more and paying fair. Compensation plan changed every year I was there. Come up with a comp. plan and stick to it. Makes for a negative working environment. Bonus plan – If you are going to implement a bonus plan, make it somewhat attainable. Quit giving out goals that are way far fetched so that your employees have no chance of reaching it. Why even try if you are an employee if you know there is absolutely no way to reach that? I’m all for a challenge but come on. And then when some have reached it multiple times, you think you need to keep upping the goals so you don’t have to pay out. Again, keep it consistent and let those who have succeeded, continue to succeed and earn the money that you have promised them. If you don't want to pay them, don't roll out a bonus program. Incentive trips are more like inviting those employees that you like the most. It’s a popularity contest. Don’t create a checklist of things to complete in order for employees to advance in their career with WHCG if you are going to promote people who have not even completed the checklist. It doesn’t look very good and again it looks like you are playing favorites. Quit asking your employees for positive reviews on Glassdoor just to outweigh the truth. It’s very tacky. Some upper level management is toxic and might be the root cause of some of the negativity. Management seems to be blinded by this. When your employees request off and they are granted that, you should never expect them to drop everything and start working. Respect when people have time off. This is not an 8-5 job... Expect to be working until at least 8-9 at night.

Advice to Management

Quit acquiring companies and focus on the talent you already have. Before you know it, they will all be gone. They are the people that allowed you to acquire these companies, why would you want to lose them? John - become more involved with your recruiters/sourcers. It's nice to know the CEO actually cares about what they are doing.

Not what it once was

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at WilsonHCG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being a virtual employee, the flexibility is unbeatable. I was able to rack up a lot of vacation days just for the simple fact all I needed was an internet connection to plug in and work. The account I worked on allowed me to become a well rounded recruiter. I was able to work with candidates that had 20+ years of experience, and I was able to work with candidates that were fresh out of college. If you are fortunate enough to land in the Top 20% for monthly goals, you will get a pretty decent pay out. If you don't hit though (see below)

Cons

Knowing where the company was when I started, and where it is now is a part of the reason why I decided to leave. The company has seen tremendous growth (good for the higher-ups), but the environment and the culture that I (and a lot of my former co-workers) loved no longer exists. The days of open transparency are long gone. Before the company would keep open dialogues with everyone, and you really felt as if your voice was being heard. In present time, there’s more of a deal with it vibe from upper management, which is frustrating knowing how things used to be. I mentioned above that I enjoyed the account that I worked on as it allowed me to become a better recruiter, but unfortunately it’s an account that wasn’t very highly regarded by the company. Needless to say there are accounts that are the money generators and the recruiters on those accounts are the ones that are constantly getting praised by upper management as well as the ones getting promoted into higher roles. There are definite favorites among the higher ups. Previous reviews mentioned a cliquish environment and they are 100% correct. There was an incentive trip a few months back, and after announcing where the trip was going back in late 2014, nothing else was mentioned to the company until 2 days before the trip began. For the most part, everyone on the trip was based out of the Tampa office. The lack of growth is something that left a lot to be desired as well. I’ve spoken with a few recruiters who were told that they were doing a tremendous job and “good things are coming your way” only to have nothing materialize. They keep you on the hook long enough, and this is another reason why there has been a lot of turnover from the recruitment teams over the last two years. The commission structure is better than it was the last two years, but once they realized that a lot of recruiters were meeting their goals, they upped the goals to ridiculous amounts so it would be harder to hit them. If you are getting close to your goal in the beginning or middle of the month, they will move your goals higher so they can avoid paying out. In the beginning of 2015 they did away with giving out yearly pay increases in favor of a pillar system that will allow you to get paid out before the year is up, but the only issue with this is that they have a long list of items relating to you hitting your goals (remember they’re making them more difficult to achieve), ATS compliance, “WilsonDNA” (sending up referrals, leading team calls…etc.), and client satisfaction. Didn’t get the chance to see what the payout would be, but I can’t imagine it would be a substantial increase. Technology. It’s a running joke that Microsoft Lync is bad. While it doesn’t prevent you from being able to do your job, it’s unfortunate that the company would continue to roll out Lync when recruiters have to be on the phone a lot.

Advice to Management

While the company has grown a lot in terms of size and accounts the last 3+ years, it came at the sacrifice of a lot of the staff (due to them pursuing other opportunities) that built you up to where you are today. The company was all about being different than other RPOs, but once more accounts were signed, and the wallets from the higher ups grew, they became just like other RPOs. Go back to being what you were. This was such a fantastic place to work back when I first started, and seeing how things have changed makes me sad. I really did enjoy my time here, but once things began to change, it really made it easy to look for something else.

The Grass Is Definitely Greener On The Other Side..

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Tampa, FL

I worked at WilsonHCG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'd have to say the only pro about working for WilsonHCG was the friendships that I built with the people I worked with. The organization as a whole is very cliquey and there are a lot of people that will do whatever it takes to make themselves look good to upper management. I was lucky enough to work with some pretty great people and built some awesome friendships with people, some of whom I've never even met in person. Those friendships are the reason I ended up staying as long as I did.

Cons

Where do I even begin? There are so many negative aspects to this company that the list could go on for days. First off, don't be fooled by these positive reviews on here. Marketing has all of the new hires and interns write positive reviews after they start to help hide the truth. I remember when I first started with the company, I was asked to write a review and I had only been with the company for a week. For the most part, management is absolutely terrible. During my time with the company, I had multiple managers that did not have my best interest in mind and only cared about how they looked to the executive team and the rest of the company. I believe this stems from the fact that the company promotes people into management roles just based on your numbers and who you have an "in" with, as opposed to promoting people into management roles that actually know how to manage and people want to work with. Whenever I needed something done, I couldn't trust my manager to have my back. I always had to go above to someone with higher power to even try and accomplish what I was trying to accomplish. Even then it was a struggle to get things done. Compensation is an absolute joke. The company makes enough money on their overpriced hires to their clients, the least they can do is compensate those who are actually filling those roles! They word the compensation structure as a "base + commission" structure, but that's a lie. It's more of a "base + small bonus" structure. On top of that, your "commission" is capped, so you can't even really make what you deserve to be making based on the hours you put in. The bonus you receive is based on a monthly quota, which is usually unobtainable. And on the off chance that you do hit your monthly quota, you better expect it to jump even higher the following month. For instance, I know for a fact that one of my colleagues hit her quota and the next month it was DOUBLED. There's also a really big disconnect between the sales team and the delivery team. The sales team pretty much says and does whatever they possibly can to land a client, and then they push it off on the delivery team to fulfill whatever they've promised. The clients we get are generally horrible and are a complete nightmare to work with.

If you are super chipper, kind of phony, and your work is your life - this place is for you!

I worked at WilsonHCG full-time

Pros

Pumped staff - everyone is focused on bettering the company! They provide great training when you come on board. They promote from within. Great brand awareness campaigns

Cons

Very clique-ish. Think honors fraternity and if you are not "in" you will know The staff has high level titles but are in fact very green (with exception of a few execs) ATS system needs improvement as some basic functions are missing Overly obsessed with rules/processes - regimented Very social media oriented. Which is good IF you like to save pics, show your status, start or join blogs, committees, interest groups with your friends within the company on their internal social media site during your workday.

Recruitment Consultant

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at WilsonHCG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a Recruitment Consultant, you can work from home while recruiting for corporate clients of all types. There is minimal micromanagement compared to agency recruiting.

Cons

It can be difficult to manage your time effectively while working in a home office. You can also sometimes feel like you are on an island without being near other colleagues.

Advice to Management

The management team is amazing at WilsonHCG but if I had to make a recommendation, I would recommend more formal training as it relates to working from home so there is less of a learning curve to newly hired employees working from home for the first time.

Recruiter

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WilsonHCG (Less than a year)

Pros

The growth this company is going through is phenomenal. If you are a hard worker and want to receive benefits from it like career growth, compensation and recognition- this is the place to go! An environment that fosters collaboration like this company does is rare. For the recruiters they get base salary and monthly bonuses based on performance. Not only that, but they can increase their base salary by being engaged within the organization...Awesome! -Virtual atmosphere for the most part -Incentive trip for top performers -Leadership program -Kudos program for giftcards/swag

Cons

With the growth Wilson is experiencing, we also have some of the pains that come with it. This is not a company that has been around for 100+ years and everything is status quo. This company is growing into something huge- so you either need to be on board and help it get there or this environment is not for you- which is okay. It may be painful now, but it is exciting to think of where we are headed and knowing we are a part of it from the start! As a recruiter- You will work very hard, but with that work you will get the benefits of career growth and compensation. If you expect to do the bare minimum you will not be a top performer and enjoy the benefits.

Advice to Management

Don't forget the things that make us a good company internally...Yes we are growing, but try to maintain the values we have always stuck true to. Our company is made up of some of the greatest/hardest working people and we need to celebrate them more. Happy employees work harder! Take more time doing things right from training, to implementing clients to ramping people up.

OK if you are entry level- get out if you want an honest, ethical career

Former Employee - Recruiter
    Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at WilsonHCG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WilsonHCG hires some great people. The virtual environment is also very attractive to prospective employees.

Cons

First and foremost, this company is dishonest! They are dishonest to their employees, and to their partners. I have read in other reviews about them telling employees (mostly entry level ones) to post positive reviews on here- I am glad I am not the only one. I could not believe some of the business practices that I witnessed when I worked at WilsonHCG. It's a decent company if this is your first job out of college, but if you want a career- and you are an honest and ethical business professional- don't have this company on your resume for long.

Advice to Management

I am not sure what happened to this company-or maybe it was always this way and just got worse. Practice honesty and have some integrity.

RSS Feed </> Embed