WilsonHCG Reviews

Reset
4.0
WilsonHCG CEO John Wilson
John Wilson

Pros
  • Love the virtual environment although it was tricky to get used to initially (in 12 reviews)

• Good company culture; everyone is very helpful and supportive (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • While not necessarily a con, such a fast-paced environment can sometimes make a work-life balance a challenge (in 5 reviews)

• Limited career path, even for a "top" recruiter like myself (in 4 reviews)

Recruitment Consultant

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at WilsonHCG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a Recruitment Consultant, you can work from home while recruiting for corporate clients of all types. There is minimal micromanagement compared to agency recruiting.

Cons

It can be difficult to manage your time effectively while working in a home office. You can also sometimes feel like you are on an island without being near other colleagues.

Advice to Management

The management team is amazing at WilsonHCG but if I had to make a recommendation, I would recommend more formal training as it relates to working from home so there is less of a learning curve to newly hired employees working from home for the first time.

Not what it once was

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at WilsonHCG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being a virtual employee, the flexibility is unbeatable. I was able to rack up a lot of vacation days just for the simple fact all I needed was an internet connection to plug in and work. The account I worked on allowed me to become a well rounded recruiter. I was able to work with candidates that had 20+ years of experience, and I was able to work with candidates that were fresh out of college. If you are fortunate enough to land in the Top 20% for monthly goals, you will get a pretty decent pay out. If you don't hit though (see below)

Cons

Knowing where the company was when I started, and where it is now is a part of the reason why I decided to leave. The company has seen tremendous growth (good for the higher-ups), but the environment and the culture that I (and a lot of my former co-workers) loved no longer exists. The days of open transparency are long gone. Before the company would keep open dialogues with everyone, and you really felt as if your voice was being heard. In present time, there’s more of a deal with it vibe from upper management, which is frustrating knowing how things used to be. I mentioned above that I enjoyed the account that I worked on as it allowed me to become a better recruiter, but unfortunately it’s an account that wasn’t very highly regarded by the company. Needless to say there are accounts that are the money generators and the recruiters on those accounts are the ones that are constantly getting praised by upper management as well as the ones getting promoted into higher roles. There are definite favorites among the higher ups. Previous reviews mentioned a cliquish environment and they are 100% correct. There was an incentive trip a few months back, and after announcing where the trip was going back in late 2014, nothing else was mentioned to the company until 2 days before the trip began. For the most part, everyone on the trip was based out of the Tampa office. The lack of growth is something that left a lot to be desired as well. I’ve spoken with a few recruiters who were told that they were doing a tremendous job and “good things are coming your way” only to have nothing materialize. They keep you on the hook long enough, and this is another reason why there has been a lot of turnover from the recruitment teams over the last two years. The commission structure is better than it was the last two years, but once they realized that a lot of recruiters were meeting their goals, they upped the goals to ridiculous amounts so it would be harder to hit them. If you are getting close to your goal in the beginning or middle of the month, they will move your goals higher so they can avoid paying out. In the beginning of 2015 they did away with giving out yearly pay increases in favor of a pillar system that will allow you to get paid out before the year is up, but the only issue with this is that they have a long list of items relating to you hitting your goals (remember they’re making them more difficult to achieve), ATS compliance, “WilsonDNA” (sending up referrals, leading team calls…etc.), and client satisfaction. Didn’t get the chance to see what the payout would be, but I can’t imagine it would be a substantial increase. Technology. It’s a running joke that Microsoft Lync is bad. While it doesn’t prevent you from being able to do your job, it’s unfortunate that the company would continue to roll out Lync when recruiters have to be on the phone a lot.

Advice to Management

While the company has grown a lot in terms of size and accounts the last 3+ years, it came at the sacrifice of a lot of the staff (due to them pursuing other opportunities) that built you up to where you are today. The company was all about being different than other RPOs, but once more accounts were signed, and the wallets from the higher ups grew, they became just like other RPOs. Go back to being what you were. This was such a fantastic place to work back when I first started, and seeing how things have changed makes me sad. I really did enjoy my time here, but once things began to change, it really made it easy to look for something else.

Broken Promises

I worked at WilsonHCG (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility to work from wherever Variety of accounts/positions to work on

Cons

WHCG over promises to clients which makes for poor relationships between Recruiters/CRMs and the client since Recruiters/CRMs are unable to deliver to the standard that you have promised them. Go back to under promising and letting your employees over deliver! Listen to your employees. If there is an issue being brought up by multiple people, chances are something is obviously wrong. Too many cliques within the company. Upper level management should start being a better role model and split the cliques up. Promote people that actually deserve to be promoted, not just the ones you like better. Invest in more resources for your employees so they can actually do their job. As a specialized recruiting company, resources and tools should be given out just like laptops. How else do you expect your recruiters to do their jobs without the tools that are necessary? Start paying more and paying fair. Compensation plan changed every year I was there. Come up with a comp. plan and stick to it. Makes for a negative working environment. Bonus plan – If you are going to implement a bonus plan, make it somewhat attainable. Quit giving out goals that are way far fetched so that your employees have no chance of reaching it. Why even try if you are an employee if you know there is absolutely no way to reach that? I’m all for a challenge but come on. And then when some have reached it multiple times, you think you need to keep upping the goals so you don’t have to pay out. Again, keep it consistent and let those who have succeeded, continue to succeed and earn the money that you have promised them. If you don't want to pay them, don't roll out a bonus program. Incentive trips are more like inviting those employees that you like the most. It’s a popularity contest. Don’t create a checklist of things to complete in order for employees to advance in their career with WHCG if you are going to promote people who have not even completed the checklist. It doesn’t look very good and again it looks like you are playing favorites. Quit asking your employees for positive reviews on Glassdoor just to outweigh the truth. It’s very tacky. Some upper level management is toxic and might be the root cause of some of the negativity. Management seems to be blinded by this. When your employees request off and they are granted that, you should never expect them to drop everything and start working. Respect when people have time off. This is not an 8-5 job... Expect to be working until at least 8-9 at night.

Advice to Management

Quit acquiring companies and focus on the talent you already have. Before you know it, they will all be gone. They are the people that allowed you to acquire these companies, why would you want to lose them? John - become more involved with your recruiters/sourcers. It's nice to know the CEO actually cares about what they are doing.

If you are super chipper, kind of phony, and your work is your life - this place is for you!

I worked at WilsonHCG full-time

Pros

Pumped staff - everyone is focused on bettering the company! They provide great training when you come on board. They promote from within. Great brand awareness campaigns

Cons

Very clique-ish. Think honors fraternity and if you are not "in" you will know The staff has high level titles but are in fact very green (with exception of a few execs) ATS system needs improvement as some basic functions are missing Overly obsessed with rules/processes - regimented Very social media oriented. Which is good IF you like to save pics, show your status, start or join blogs, committees, interest groups with your friends within the company on their internal social media site during your workday.

OK if you are entry level- get out if you want an honest, ethical career

Former Employee - Recruiter
    Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at WilsonHCG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WilsonHCG hires some great people. The virtual environment is also very attractive to prospective employees.

Cons

First and foremost, this company is dishonest! They are dishonest to their employees, and to their partners. I have read in other reviews about them telling employees (mostly entry level ones) to post positive reviews on here- I am glad I am not the only one. I could not believe some of the business practices that I witnessed when I worked at WilsonHCG. It's a decent company if this is your first job out of college, but if you want a career- and you are an honest and ethical business professional- don't have this company on your resume for long.

Advice to Management

I am not sure what happened to this company-or maybe it was always this way and just got worse. Practice honesty and have some integrity.

Recruitment Consultant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at WilsonHCG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, and the ability to work remotely. Great Management and Leadership.

Cons

Not any that come to mind.

Recruiter

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WilsonHCG (Less than a year)

Pros

The growth this company is going through is phenomenal. If you are a hard worker and want to receive benefits from it like career growth, compensation and recognition- this is the place to go! An environment that fosters collaboration like this company does is rare. For the recruiters they get base salary and monthly bonuses based on performance. Not only that, but they can increase their base salary by being engaged within the organization...Awesome! -Virtual atmosphere for the most part -Incentive trip for top performers -Leadership program -Kudos program for giftcards/swag

Cons

With the growth Wilson is experiencing, we also have some of the pains that come with it. This is not a company that has been around for 100+ years and everything is status quo. This company is growing into something huge- so you either need to be on board and help it get there or this environment is not for you- which is okay. It may be painful now, but it is exciting to think of where we are headed and knowing we are a part of it from the start! As a recruiter- You will work very hard, but with that work you will get the benefits of career growth and compensation. If you expect to do the bare minimum you will not be a top performer and enjoy the benefits.

Advice to Management

Don't forget the things that make us a good company internally...Yes we are growing, but try to maintain the values we have always stuck true to. Our company is made up of some of the greatest/hardest working people and we need to celebrate them more. Happy employees work harder! Take more time doing things right from training, to implementing clients to ramping people up.

Sales and Marketing

Current Employee - Sales in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WilsonHCG

Pros

Great culture, great people, great CEO. The company is really there to give a great foundation for their workers to succeed.

Cons

Not really any I can think of.

Advice to Management

More pizza Fridays!

Dishonest and Unethical Company

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at WilsonHCG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- wonderful people who work as recruiters and sourcers - a few really good mid-management people - ability to work virtually

Cons

- Pretty much everything good written on this Glassdoor page is solicited by marketing. I have 3 emails from them during the past 5 months asking me to please complete a review. Part of the intern assignments are writing positive Glassdoor reviews. It's all a fabrication. -Resources are low/non-exisitant - forced to use a phone program (lync) that has extremely poor functionality consistently across the company. My job is to call people. How can I do that with a phone that hardly works? Log in's to LinkedIn Recruiter, Dice, ZipRecruiter, etc. are shared among recruiters illegally. In fact, we were recently blacklisted from the Indeed.com site (per the CTO's exact words) due to the dishonesty. - In the sales process, clients are told they are going to get A, B, and C products and services when they really are not getting much of anything. We are consistently told to outright lie to clients though they call it "stretching the truth a little" or "not telling the client everything" -Using backdoor and unethical methods to increase business in current clients. - Pay is extremely low compared to other organizations. Mid management is paid what Junior Recruiters are paid in other organizations. New people are being brought in at significantly higher pay than people who have grown up with the organization. - Amount of work, deadlines, responsibilities, goals, etc. are unattainable unless you want to work 24/7. Many people who are top performers work all weekend long and into the late night hours most days. -No training nor professional development opportunities. You are thrown into every situation here. - Mid Management is so stressed out that many of them treat their employees poorly. They do not have time to listen to ideas or concerns of their teams. There are constant fire drills. - Sr. Management is bi-polar. One day everyone loves you, the next day your are screamed at and belittled. You never know what the day will hold.

Advice to Management

Go back to who you used to be. The growth has unfortunately taken away the good of what WHCG once was. Try being truthful and transparent for a change. Your employees would likely react better than you expect they would. WHCG was once a nice change from the other RPO's out there, now it's just a carbon copy of them (and in many cases, is likely worse). How many more long term, veteran employees will you lose before you stop the bleeding and fix things?

Great Opportunity.

Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WilsonHCG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great company to work for if you are looking for growth potential. The company has grown so much since I have joined. It it great to be a part of.

Cons

I can't think of any major cons. If there were any, they would be addressed quickly.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job. I'm excited to see where this company will be 5+ years from now.... Or even next year.

RSS Feed </> Embed