WilsonHCG

Updated December 18, 2014
4.1

WilsonHCG CEO John Wilson
John Wilson

Pros
  • Virtual environment, minimal micromanaging, team emphasis, very little "busy work" (in 12 reviews)

• Good company culture; everyone is very helpful and supportive (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • While not necessarily a con, such a fast-paced environment can sometimes make a work-life balance a challenge (in 5 reviews)

• Limited career path, even for a "top" recruiter like myself (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Thank you, John Wilson and team for creating an RPO company that actually makes sense!

I have been working at WilsonHCG

Pros

WilsonHCG values each and everyone of their employees. They encourage open communication from all people to help out, make a difference, and work passionately. I have yet to speak with one current employee that isn't happy with their work or position.

Cons

I have not had any challenges yet.

Keep doing what you are doing! It is much appreciated!

Don't Let the Door Hit You...

I worked at WilsonHCG

Pros

Some of the talent at this company is truly awe-inspiring.

Cons

The company needs time to mature: too many members of the leadership team do not have corporate or leadership experience which shows through immaturity. I think this creates a domino effect throughout the company.

Ideas and new policies or procedures are not well thought-out and are implemented far before they should be.

Unfortunately, I don’t believe the company realizes just how talented some of their employees are; far too many people with great potential fall through the cracks due to lack of training, professional development opportunities, or the fact that leadership picks and chooses who they “like”.

Compensation is too low. Too many employees are not compensated appropriately.

Completely think through new policies or procedures you’d like to implement. Additionally, if those new policies or procedures are going to be implemented, stay true to what you say you’re implementing.

When an employee exits the company, do not tell them that the work they've done for the company does not matter, only their last week does… especially when you know they've put in blood, sweat and tears. It’s extremely disappointing knowing you’re just another number in the end.

Rapidly growing company with flexible work options!

I have been working at WilsonHCG full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the biggest pros to working at WilsonHCG is the ability to work-from-home and to have an incredibly flexible work schedule. As a virtual employee, I have never felt like an “outsider”-employee engagement is very high and is constantly being improved. Everyone is part of a team at WilsonHCG and we are all truly in it together. The internal growth opportunities are tremendous and if anyone ever has an idea for an improvement or change in process, their ideas are always heard. It is definitely a great organization for recent grads to also get involved with.

Cons

Maybe organize a few more initiatives for employees to connect with other employees across the globe!

Keep up the great work. I am confident WilsonHCG is headed in a very positive direction.

Great company up until this year

Former Employee - Recruiting/Sourcing in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Recruiting/Sourcing in Tampa, FL

I worked at WilsonHCG full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have a great corporate culture that fosters collaboration and a sense of community. The corporate culture is great. It is a great first job out of college. It is very rare in a company to find that a CEO knows you by first name and will spend time speaking with you. Depending on your manager, you are able to develop your own growth path within the company and the steps necessary to achieve it.

Cons

Although they encourage sharing ideas, very little is done to implement any of it. It is a first job out of college, but if you want to grow professionally, this is not the place for you. It makes it difficult to work in delivery when you are micromanaged, even as a top performer. There are no incentives for top performers. I was with the company for almost two years and it was difficult to see many tenured employees leave the organization for better opportunities. It made me second guess my decision to stay with the company.
    Although I always had the upmost respect for senior management, they are inexperienced which makes voicing your opinion and being heard almost impossible. You are much better off working for a larger company that will pay you what you are worth, offer the same great corporate culture, but with more growth and professional development opportunities.

Implement change and ideas that have been shared with current and previous employees if you want to see continued success with the company. Nothing has changed to prevent the high rate of turnover that this company has experienced over the past year. The inexperience of upper management will prevent professional development of employees, and they will leave to find better opportunities. You have already lost some of your best talent, what are you doing to keep what is left?

Everyday at WilsonHCG has been refreshing.

I have been working at WilsonHCG

Pros

The growth opportunity, career path, and team all align with what a potential employee should be looking for. They encourage you to use your voice. Not often a company utilizes the "bottom up" approach.

Cons

One of the biggest challenges would be the training structure. The training is great, but could be structured to specific weaknesses in order to ramp employee up sooner.

The interview process can become lengthy, which could give the impression the candidate won't be considered for the position. This could ultimately result in the candidate applying somewhere else.

Amazing culture with growth and career opportunities!

Current Employee - Operations in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Operations in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WilsonHCG full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

WilsonHCG strongly stands by their DNA and values every employee which shows through the culture and communication that has evolved over my time with the company. The company is headed in the right direction, especially with recently implementing development plans for each employee which has helped for me personally to feel empowered with where my career is going. Additionally, WHCG has incentives and programs to increase employee engagement levels as well as leadership working hard to be transparent with companywide global initiatives so it is an inclusive effort across the board.

Cons

With growth comes growing pains and WHCG has gone through its share of changes, however, it ends up for a better outcome for the business and the people. Change is never easy but necessary in order to keep growing in the right direction.

There are a ton of great ideas for innovation circulating around and my only advice is prioritize the ideas and ensure we're consistently executing on them. As we've grown, Sr leadership has maintained doing a good job of staying connected to the people so stay true to that as we get bigger.

Company has unnecessarily gone downhill

I worked at WilsonHCG

Pros

WilsonHCG has an excellent delivery staff and has the potential to be a leader in the RPO industry. The virtual environment is a plus for many recruiters and staff, except when current employees are forced to work well over the hours they are paid for to be successful.

Cons

I gave everything that I had to WilsonHCG for the years that I was employed. I never watched the clock, and did whatever was necessary for my team and for my clients. I am thankful for the company for what they taught me, and for the relationships that I made while I was with the company. I was a hard worker and a performer while I was employed with the company. To have worked so hard and feel so unaccomplished when leaving an organization is disappointing to say the least. The company culture claims to be very positive and encouraging, and I can honestly say that it is not. The amount of hours that everyone works to hit or exceed their goals is not normal. Sure, you can work 40-45 hours a week- even 50- and be a mediocre performer. But to anyone who strives to be above average- you best be prepared to give everything you have, including your personal time. The company is a good one-it could be a GREAT one-but they need to reevaluate their leadership and their values. I knew the core values of the company and strived to live by them everyday. But leadership needs to start practicing what they preach- and lead by them as well. A company is only as strong as its leaders.

I will not go into details about how the company has made me feel after my departure, but I will say that the phrase "You are as only as good as you were last week"..applies here. I would not state this unless I was 110% confident of what value I brought to the company during my tenure. I am currently working for a different company and I feel valued and appreciated- and it is extremely welcomed from the past situation that I was in.

I am disappointed, to say the least, in this company and its leadership. What they soon need to realize is good people-both professionally and personally- will continue to leave if things do not change from the executive level. You have phenomenal leaders in mid-management, but they have little to no control over how things are done.

I am very thankful for what this company has given for me, but even more thankful, unfortunately, that I have moved on.

Please see above

Valuable Experience

I worked at WilsonHCG full-time

Pros

--Access to recruiting tools, and ongoing instruction with those tools
    --Virtual environment, minimal micromanaging, team emphasis, very little "busy work"
    --Client management leaders made every attempt to make appropriate matches between the recruiter and the client. I always recruited for a client that I could add value to based on my personal strengths and interests
    --Fun, culture-based activities were a great way to involve virtual employees
    --Pretty much the best RPO you could work for...really working to define and expand the definition of RPO
    --Accessible, grounded CEO

Cons

--Messy compensation structure. Changed at least 2-3 times during my time with the company. Salaries remained low with little consideration for employee's local market
    --Limited career path, even for a "top" recruiter like myself
    --Occasionally thrown into awkward or unnecessarily challenging client situations BUT was always supported by WilsonHCG leadership
    --Cliquey management, "usual suspects" were often identified for rewards and promotions

Your most valuable contributors at the delivery level need to be recognized and rewarded more tangibly.

WilsonHCG Response

Sep 16, 2014Sr. Director of People & Culture

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your valuable feedback. We always appreciate hearing current and past employees’ thoughts, as they help us continue to improve. Regarding your concerns with ... More

WilsonHCG is a company that is growing rapidly yet still maintaining it's close-knit, start-up feel.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WilsonHCG full-time (more than an year)

Pros

WilsonHCG is a close knit community. While we are a group of hard workers, you always feel as though you're working amongst friends who share a common goal. The company has seen a tremendous amount of growth over the last 12-18 months and is continuing to grow at a rapid rate. Despite such growth, senior management never loses sight of employee engagement and making sure their employees are happy.

Cons

As with any job, you'll always want to be paid more and receive more time off but compensation and PTO seems to be pretty standard within the competing market. Being an organization that is relatively young still, everyone is expected to truly give 110% all the time. While not necessarily a con, such a fast-paced environment can sometimes make a work-life balance a challenge.

I think we're headed in a great direction. I think senior management maintaining their open-door policy through such changes will continue to make for happy employees.

Would Not Recommend

I worked at WilsonHCG

Pros

Great people, virtual environment, growing company. Great recruiters. Some big name clients

Cons

Executive leadership-on both delivery and client sides- they have been disrespectful and unprofessional. Poor work/life balance. Underqualified leadership. No confidentiality- this is concerning and was very troubling for me. I have never been spoken to by leaders like I was at this company. My concerns, as many others, were dismissed after I escalated them. No one really cares how employees feel. Extreme favoritism. Do not have employees' best interests in mind. Disappointing and unprofessional.

Please listening to people who work extremely hard for you. Please employ more qualified and more professional leaders. It is unacceptable how people are spoken to and treated. You have heard this many times. There are a lot of good people who work for this company. Why did you let it change?