Wilsons The Leather Experts

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
2.5

Timothy G. Becker

Pros
  • Like any retailer customer service is priority, this company really emphasises this (in 6 reviews)

• The employee discount is fantastic, everyone accumulates a collection of great products when they work for this company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Higher sales goals than can possibly be reached (in 6 reviews)

• Store managers are responsible for maintaining the store, making individual sales goals, and reaching a store sales goal (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

So far Amazing experience!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Gurnee, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Gurnee, IL

I have been working at Wilsons The Leather Experts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I absolutely love the brand!
    Coming from a women's boutique that sold apparel, I had some adjusting to do but I managed to do so because of the wonderful team that was able to train and guide me in the right direction.
    We are mostly able to run the store how we want (with the exception of the s.o.p) and make business decisions that positively affect our store.
    My store Manager expects us to run the store like its our own business and make decisions based of current trends using the department sales report.
    We have weekend competitions with the team, monthly store dinners or events, and holiday potlucks.
    You learn alot about different types of leather, sales techniques, and clientieling.
    The company appreciates your hard work and recognizes it through contests, a bonus program, and promotion.
    The customers are a pleasure to work with.
    Amazing discount and is mostly combinable with in store offers. Different brands within the store as well.

Cons

Often a lack of payroll which may leave you working alone for a few hours.
    Quite frequent sale changes and marketing changes.

Keep up the upbeat spirit of the company and continue to reward and provide growth for your employees. Looking forward to the opportunities ahead.

Your experience working here can be greatly affected by who the store manager is.

I worked at Wilsons The Leather Experts

Pros

If you work here full time the health care benefits are great.

Vacation time is good if you work for a few years our longer.

Cons

Employees can easily be used and mistreated by manager. of course this isn't always the case if you have a decent manager. The managers are friends with the district manager and therefore they can basically run the store however they want.

I worked there six years and the company is constantly changing policies and dress codes. There are scheduling policies yet the managers can get away with scheduling themselves however they want. Usually the assistant, which was my position, and the manager in training did the brunt of the work while our lazy manager scheduled herself off whenever there were large tasks to be completed and holidays.

the sales goals are sometimes difficult to meet at certain locations. The managers will ring your sales under their employee number so they get the sale. I've seen that with 3 of 4 managers.

At my location, we worked mostly by ourselves, which makes it difficult to get tasks completed. Here are some examples of regular tasks:

price changes- you get a printout with style numbers. You have to take off all price tags and re-write prices. There are A LOT and it takes hours to complete.

Shipment- daunting task! You must remove all packaging, price check, make price tags, add sensors, then put out. If it's a new product you need to make room and move other stuff around

weekly react to business- usually price changes, sign changes, and sometimes a whole floor move where most products move to new locations

straightening- at the end of the night you have to make sure all jackets are sized, zipped, buttoned. All accessories must be straighten as well. This can take over an hour.

You need to get all these tasks done by yourself plus working with customers. You are expected to not do any tasking when a customer is in your store.

Customers get annoyed when you keep asking them questions and follow them around. Many times when your district manager comes for a visit, they are hounding you about spending more time with your customer. This has backfired many times. I have been literally yelled at by customers because the district manager keeps telling us to go talk to them
    And make sure they know the price of all the items they look at. Most of the time the customers want to look by themselves for a while.

shoplifters- we got a lot at our store. Mostly in teams, and they always come in when you're alone.

I could go on and on about all the bad things about working here. I've talked to many other employees from stores in our district and most of the complaints are about managers abusing their power but even if you bring up a problem with the district manager it won't go away. Unless the store manager is stealing from the company or the store is mostly not reaching sales goals, then the store manager can do whatever they want.

I think district managers should routinely follow up with all employees in private. Usually you spend all your time worrying about sales, and other things get swept under the rug.
    Stores should get sufficient hours to ensure the extra tasks can get completed. Not just for floor sets but for reacts, price changes, large shipments, etc.

Bittersweet

Former Employee - Manager In Training/Keyholder in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager In Training/Keyholder in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wilsons The Leather Experts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people you get to work with become like family here. Many former employees still come by their old stores to see to visit and catch up with their old co-workers. The employee discount is fantastic, everyone accumulates a collection of great products when they work for this company. The training was absolutely incredible. They provide you all the information and resources you need to be a successful sales associate right out of the gate while also making it a fun atmosphere.

Cons

Once a management level is achieved your support and resources kind of disappear. You get left to fend for yourself in a sense. A lot of upper management is recruited outside the company rather than promoting within leaving associates and lower level management more educated on the company than their superiors. It's kind of embarrassing having a Store Manager ask their associate in front of a customer how to do something as simple as process a check payment in the POS. It pretty much leaves the guys at the bottom doing ALL the work while majority (Not all) of the upper management sits back and reprimands their employees for not doing things well enough. There is a lot of promotion changing and sign changing throughout the entire store that takes HOURS to complete after closing because our signs are printed and cut out and manually put together. Half the time the promotions don't make sense to our clientele either causing a lot of price adjustments that we have to make for client purchases. If you have a family or any kind of priorities in your life over work this just isn't the place for you. They expect you to miss EVERY holiday and work all hours of the night and work 10 hour shifts on busy weekends and don't reward you with any kind of monetary bonus when you perform above standards nor do they provide any commission for the thousands of dollars you make the company in one weekend.

Start treating your employees like people. Provide benefits for long term PT associates that already work full time hours every week. Provide promotions to the associates who work for it rather than recruit from other companies. Lay off the sales goals and stop pressuring everyone to make YOU money. You want to see results? Motivate me. Give me an incentive to work even harder or push even more than i already have. At least a commission structure would make the hourly wages not seem so crappy because we'd also make money on everything we sell.

Pass this place up

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Wilsons The Leather Experts part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Store Managers and staff were great to work with. Its a great way to earn a little income while making your way through school.

Cons

Hours are terrible, not enough hours are given out to arrange all of the crazy unnecessary changes that they constantly want to make. District Managers are a mess.

listen to your stores for advice rather than cram the same ineffective plans that aren't driving sales in order to keep the consumer coming back to buy your product.

An all-around decent part-time job for a student or someone looking to make extra money. Temporary only.

Former Employee - Manager In Training/Keyholder
    Former Employee - Manager In Training/Keyholder

I worked at Wilsons The Leather Experts part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company fosters a fun working atmosphere. You can learn a lot about leather products and accessories as general outerwear. Not very much room for growth within the individual retail locations. The average store has only a manager, assistant manager, and MT (training manager). Everyone else is an associate, and will usually remain so.They usually promote from within the company, but from different retail locations (i.e., a vacant assistant manager spot might be filled by someone from a different store, not a current sales associate). Overall it's basically what you can expect from a retail company. However, the actual work is a breeze, not much folding involved (just organizing bags and wallets,etc.). Also, most of the merchandise (coats & jackets) are on hangers, so clean-up is pretty simple.

Cons

The company requires all store employee to reach a daily, weekly, and monthly sales goal. The consequences of not reaching the computer generated goal aren't extremely harsh, but failure to meet the goals consistently may cause a problem down the road, especially when seeking raises, promotions, etc. Employees do not receive commission benefits for reaching these goals, and are rarely rewarded otherwise. The goals are slightly adjusted by season, but are often impossible to reach, i.e., requiring an associate to sell $500 in leather merchandise on a weekday in the middle of the summer in a notoriously high-temp. Southern state. Store managers are responsible for maintaining the store, making individual sales goals, and reaching a store sales goal. As a result, I've seen as many as 3 store managers come and go in a year because of the pressure. I do not recommend working for this company as a long-term career. Temporary employment is fine.

Perhaps do more to provide perks to those for meeting their sales goals. While increasing the budget to provide commission may prove to be a bit much, some incentive would be nice (free lunch, vacation days, extra discounts, etc.) Right now it seems as though employees are working to meet sales goals that benefit the company solely, and are penalized when they can't fulfill the requirements.

Good starter retail job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lebanon, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lebanon, TN

Pros

Simple, great work environment, whole store smells like leather! You get to try on tons of nice jackets and you will definitely end up with a collection of them if you work there long enough.

Cons

Can get extremely boring!

I had good management, so honestly nothing negative to say!

Terrible store to work for

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dawson, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dawson, GA

I worked at Wilsons The Leather Experts part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get a 40% discount, They'll hire anyone who can walk, Some down Time

Cons

You're always being pressured to make a sale, Managers never wanna do any dirty work, You have to stand in the hot or the cold handing out flyers.

Having you're employees stand outside and hand out flyers really makes your store look so low class. You don't see any other stores doing that. It makes it look like you're desperate for people to come in.

Micro Managed Arrogance

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Wilsons The Leather Experts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Health Benefits, pay checks typically come on time.

Cons

Just about everything. Arrogant leadership. Poorly executed promotions that are specifically designed to confuse customers. "In the moment management " which really means we don't know what we are doing and we are going to prove it by constantly changing direction and constantly causing chaos. Zero respect for their customers. The question is not whether to work here or not, the question is should you be a customer. On conference calls "successful" managers explain their success by telling you not to tell customers things aren't leather unless they specifically ask. Even though they are standing in front of you talking about how great the leather price is! I could go on about these types of behaviors but if you want to be able to sleep at night and you have any self respect you do not want to work here.

Look up the words character and integrity in the dictionary. After you get some one to spell them to you and then explain the definition you should try operating your business with a little of each.

Decent work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Wilsons The Leather Experts part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good customer service skills, flexible hours, they work with you and teach you well if it is your first job. Encourage team skills.

Cons

Young teenagers lack team skills, most employees worked solo and we were paid only 7.50 with unchanging salaries. NOT enough communication with team and staff, pay stubs were held for weeks without handing them out.

Learn to direct a team better, don't just focus on money and sales, bring the community together to give the customer an upfront helping hand.

Sad

Former Employee - Manager In Training/Keyholder in Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - Manager In Training/Keyholder in Gurnee, IL

I worked at Wilsons The Leather Experts part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Work Culture, Product, Neat Store, Different Brands Within the Company.

Cons

Company Values, Store Management, Communication, No Appreciation,

Working here at first was pretty good, then I started to notice how much the store manager and the assistant gossip about people and how unprofessional they were. I was working as a key holder at WL and I was told that the position was eliminated but ended up finding out that I was not good enough for the position. I didn't appreciate getting lied too, I didn't appreciate how I worked my best and tried to adjust to a new store environment and was not told about anything. I would never work at this company again. I would say that the WL in Pleasant Prairie, WI is a very nice store, the employees are positive, upbeat, respectable, the store is clean, the customers are amazing, just a really nice work environment. A work environment should not be where there is constant gossip, no leading, always putting people down, dishonestly, I just really don't like that and it's not healthy to work there.