Wilsons The Leather Experts

ProsFlexible Schedules
    Product knowledge
    Upmost customer service
    Friendly coworkers
    Very sales oriented (Goals)
    Upper management is always prompt and educated.
    Promotions are very achievable.

ConsLots of sale changes.
    I don't really have anything bad to say about the company. I love working here!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work! Everyone works hard here and is appreciated!

sales

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Ysidro, CA

Prosyou get to interact with people your age,

Conswork all weekends and have to rely on others availb.

Wilson's Leather is your typical retail job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey really do focus on customers, above average customer service is expected from management. I learned a lot of new stuff on leather products and also efficient sales techniques. Nice employee discount.

ConsPoor communication with upper management on special sales and events. Would receive more merchandise than what was actually needed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Believe the bad reviews!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, good discount, decent product. Really not much else than this. DM was easy to get in touch with when needed.

ConsTerrible support system. A lot of emphasis on conversion. Really old POS system. As a manager you are expected to work 44+ hours a week (one day a week being a 12 hour shift). Sales change too often and confuse the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in training. Do not allow management to move into their position until they are fully trained in all aspects. Especially scheduling and zoning! These areas are key to a store's success!

Terrible Culture

ProsHealth Insurance and pay check.

ConsA culture of fear and intimidation.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork one day in your store.

High sales goals very negative district manager

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

Prosfellow associates, customers were mostly nice.

Conslong hours no breaks no matter what you do never god enough

Advice to Senior Managementtry saying something nice every once in a while.

ugh

Store Manager (Current Employee)

Prosummm... a regular paycheck, not much to brag about here.

Consno breaks, poor training, inconsistent managers

Advice to Senior Managementtreat your workers better!

Wilsons is a joke....

Sales (Former Employee) Johnson Creek, WI

ProsThe good discount.....Meeting people from all different types of backgrounds

ConsI tried to quit, but the store manage wouldn't let me go saying I was his best employee. There is a lack of motivation for sales. (Lets make money). Isnt very motiviational to me. The staff is poorly trained. There is no excitement going to store. Management never says good job today or I never felt appreciated. Its hard to learn new things, cause u have to be a MT or Management to learn opening things or closing things. Its like your restricted to only sales and customer service. So I left the company recently I was under paid for someone who has a degree in Fashion. I feel Wilsons all they want to do is make money. What about customer service if a customer comes in to buy a wallet the management expects u to make a huge sale. If u cross sell leather care but u ring it under another associate, that associate gets the credit for the sale. Those surveys really, forcing customers to choose strongly agree just so we can get points. I think its just wrong I mean as a customer I would put down real feedback not be forced to choose strongly agree.

Advice to Senior Managementtrain ur employees on types of leather and practice role playing with customers. Give good feed back to employees

EXPLOITATION AT IT'S FINEST.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsOnce you reach management there is no way you can get fired. Come to work drunk its ok here. The company has great benefits but at a store level you are treated like crap.

ConsYou will get no breaks, they will lie to you about your employment status. If you report to HR any negative or illegal action they will fire you. The hypocrisy in management is outragous and should be looked into.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease make sure to hire a third party group for HR. There needs to be a check on nepotism with relation to its promotion standards on a store level. Training standards need to be improved. HR needs to do a audit on the practices and procedures, there employees are not getting breaks and are being harassed there needs to be a stop to this. Employees are told if they call HR and file complaints they will be Fired. Which I have seen happen.

If you cant multi task and handle accountability this job isnt for you

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI have been with company for a year now and overall I love my job. Good benefits, great bonus payouts quarterly( as long as you are achieving your sales goals), and occasionally an extra shout outs and bonuses from corporate management on quarterly Regional and company wide conference calls. The pay is salaried and pretty decent based on a 44 hour work week. I knew what I was worth when I started the interview process. I got what I asked for. The product is fun classics styles mixed with what is trending currently. Love that we carry something for everyone! Like any retailer customer service is priority, this company really emphasises this. Training on all levels is pretty good, at store level its the SSM's job to consistently improve their associates on all levels, as it should be!!!!! Accountability with a lot of follow up to DM is also big, I love this. Promotional changes are easy, floorsets are seasonal with some updates from time to time. If i need support from my DM its always available. There are always lines open for advancement as the company is growing and changing.

ConsBased on volume of my store I am only allowed two other members of management,I think this is common in most stores even ones doing higher volume this leads to longer days without proper breaks and coverage if another member of management is out sick or is on vacation. Even if I am making and exceeding sales goals I am often scrutinized for performance on collecting emails or the converting of the customers walking through our doors. I understand the expectations, I understand my DM is getting the same scrutiny, but when a store is performing really well, and slips up certain metrics from time to time, i feel that the threat of write ups across the board is unacceptable. Bottom line is we are making money and our customers are happy! During Holiday season ( thanksgiving to Christmas) SSM's are required to work 6 days a week, not too bad as its the same 44 hours required, but I feel being in my store 6 short days is less productive then 5 longer ones. SSM's should have the choice to do either or. Company could definately use an overhaul on computer systems, system is slow and out of date, pin pads for customers would be nice, think we are the only store in mall with out one.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need more mangers! A minimum of 3 full time and one part time year round! You gotta give some to get some!

Worked for Wilsons The Leather Experts? Contribute to the Community!