Wilsons The Leather Experts

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014
2.6

Timothy G. Becker

An all-around decent part-time job for a student or someone looking to make extra money. Temporary only.

Former Employee - Manager In Training/Keyholder
    Former Employee - Manager In Training/Keyholder

I worked at Wilsons The Leather Experts part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company fosters a fun working atmosphere. You can learn a lot about leather products and accessories as general outerwear. Not very much room for growth within the individual retail locations. The average store has only a manager, assistant manager, and MT (training manager). Everyone else is an associate, and will usually remain so.They usually promote from within the company, but from different retail locations (i.e., a vacant assistant manager spot might be filled by someone from a different store, not a current sales associate). Overall it's basically what you can expect from a retail company. However, the actual work is a breeze, not much folding involved (just organizing bags and wallets,etc.). Also, most of the merchandise (coats & jackets) are on hangers, so clean-up is pretty simple.

Cons

The company requires all store employee to reach a daily, weekly, and monthly sales goal. The consequences of not reaching the computer generated goal aren't extremely harsh, but failure to meet the goals consistently may cause a problem down the road, especially when seeking raises, promotions, etc. Employees do not receive commission benefits for reaching these goals, and are rarely rewarded otherwise. The goals are slightly adjusted by season, but are often impossible to reach, i.e., requiring an associate to sell $500 in leather merchandise on a weekday in the middle of the summer in a notoriously high-temp. Southern state. Store managers are responsible for maintaining the store, making individual sales goals, and reaching a store sales goal. As a result, I've seen as many as 3 store managers come and go in a year because of the pressure. I do not recommend working for this company as a long-term career. Temporary employment is fine.

Perhaps do more to provide perks to those for meeting their sales goals. While increasing the budget to provide commission may prove to be a bit much, some incentive would be nice (free lunch, vacation days, extra discounts, etc.) Right now it seems as though employees are working to meet sales goals that benefit the company solely, and are penalized when they can't fulfill the requirements.

Good starter retail job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Lebanon, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lebanon, TN

I have been working at Wilsons The Leather Experts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Simple, great work environment, whole store smells like leather! You get to try on tons of nice jackets and you will definitely end up with a collection of them if you work there long enough.

Cons

Can get extremely boring!

I had good management, so honestly nothing negative to say!

Decent work

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Wilsons The Leather Experts part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good customer service skills, flexible hours, they work with you and teach you well if it is your first job. Encourage team skills.

Cons

Young teenagers lack team skills, most employees worked solo and we were paid only 7.50 with unchanging salaries. NOT enough communication with team and staff, pay stubs were held for weeks without handing them out.

Learn to direct a team better, don't just focus on money and sales, bring the community together to give the customer an upfront helping hand.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sad

Former Employee - Manager In Training/Keyholder  in  Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - Manager In Training/Keyholder in Gurnee, IL

I worked at Wilsons The Leather Experts part-time for less than a year

Pros

The Work Culture, Product, Neat Store, Different Brands Within the Company.

Cons

Company Values, Store Management, Communication, No Appreciation,

Working here at first was pretty good, then I started to notice how much the store manager and the assistant gossip about people and how unprofessional they were. I was working as a key holder at WL and I was told that the position was eliminated but ended up finding out that I was not good enough for the position. I didn't appreciate getting lied too, I didn't appreciate how I worked my best and tried to adjust to a new store environment and was not told about anything. I would never work at this company again. I would say that the WL in Pleasant Prairie, WI is a very nice store, the employees are positive, upbeat, respectable, the store is clean, the customers are amazing, just a really nice work environment. A work environment should not be where there is constant gossip, no leading, always putting people down, dishonestly, I just really don't like that and it's not healthy to work there.

AM retail group is one, if not THE worst corporation I've ever worked for

Current Employee - ASM  in  Terrell, TX
    Current Employee - ASM in Terrell, TX

Pros

Paycheck every other week. Store staff is fun to work with.

Cons

Nothing you do is ever good enough. From the DM up its all about how much money did you make today. Even when you go beyond the goals set , it's not enough. Expected to break mall /outlet policy, to meet goals.

Develop a sense of pride and compassion for your employees. It's our backs you're standing on. Stop worrying about how much we've lined YOU pockets and start showing some concern for the over worked employees .

I love Wilson's.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Kenosha, WI

Pros

Flexible Schedules
    Product knowledge
    Upmost customer service
    Friendly coworkers
    Very sales oriented (Goals)
    Upper management is always prompt and educated.
    Promotions are very achievable.

Cons

Lots of sale changes.
    I don't really have anything bad to say about the company. I love working here!

Keep up the great work! Everyone works hard here and is appreciated!

Wilson's Leather is your typical retail job

I worked at Wilsons The Leather Experts part-time for less than a year

Pros

They really do focus on customers, above average customer service is expected from management. I learned a lot of new stuff on leather products and also efficient sales techniques. Nice employee discount.

Cons

Poor communication with upper management on special sales and events. Would receive more merchandise than what was actually needed.

Believe the bad reviews!

I worked at Wilsons The Leather Experts

Pros

Good pay, good discount, decent product. Really not much else than this. DM was easy to get in touch with when needed.

Cons

Terrible support system. A lot of emphasis on conversion. Really old POS system. As a manager you are expected to work 44+ hours a week (one day a week being a 12 hour shift). Sales change too often and confuse the customers.

Invest more in training. Do not allow management to move into their position until they are fully trained in all aspects. Especially scheduling and zoning! These areas are key to a store's success!

sales

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Ysidro, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Ysidro, CA

I worked at Wilsons The Leather Experts part-time for less than a year

Pros

you get to interact with people your age,

Cons

work all weekends and have to rely on others availb.

Terrible Culture

I have been working at Wilsons The Leather Experts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Health Insurance and pay check.

Cons

A culture of fear and intimidation.

Work one day in your store.

Worked for Wilsons The Leather Experts? Contribute to the Community!