Wilton Brands Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Dan Butler

1. Stay Away unless your a woman....

Former Employee - Forecasting in Woodridge, IL
    Former Employee - Forecasting in Woodridge, IL

I worked at Wilton Brands

Pros

Eager to get you in and started. Salary was fair, benefits were okay. Some of the co-workers seem eager to help you.

Cons

Too much of a "woman's world". In a department of 11, 6 were gone on maternity leave. They don't like outside opinions. I was told that in order to get a head, you would have to put in 12 hour days.. every day. Lunch was suppose to be taken at your desk while you work. Their forecasting is terrible. They don't worry about it, just to "put out the fires." Product is made in China so lead times are months away. They are way to SKU happy. You can have one planner managing 7K-9K SKU's. There is no flex time and their system is very old.

Advice to Management

There are more than one way to do things. Listen to people before you make your decisions. The "people in the trenches" know more than you know.

2. CFO + 4 others left this year

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time

Pros

Not much to talk about except that they have summer hours.

Cons

Came from a $75m company to a $500m + one .. still very small minded.. people from the smaller days of the company still exist in important positions, holding the company back. Also having a bad year..really bad.. CFO left and I heard 3+ upper and middle management in accounting and finance have also left this year .. Overall, doesn't want to act like a big dog.. work here at your own risk..

Advice to Management

Think and act like a public company....if people bring in new ideas, understand and embrace them.. don't impose your own ... appreciate what people bring to the table .. promote people for their worth .. not years in service ... don't treat managers like s**t because their reports complain about them..

Does not promote fairly from within- no opportunities for advancement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodridge, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodridge, IL

I have been working at Wilton Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a stable company with over 1000 employees.

Cons

There is no leadership, team direction, communication, or opportunity for growth from within. As of recent, there has been a salary freeze for anyone employed there beyond 5 years.

Advice to Management

Take initiative and lead your team, recognize the value of longevity of an employee by rewarding them instead of dismissing this accomplishment and forcing them to look elsewhere. Be proud of your team, and they wil be proud of what they do.

toxic and lacks true senior leadership at the functional levels

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodridge, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodridge, IL

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good products and great work-life balance. No pressure to stay late since the building is empty by 5:15PM. There are good ideas and some pretty smart people working at Wilton but they lack cross functional trust in each other.

Cons

The key functional EVPs are individually smart people but they talk a lot more then needed and lack true leadership actions. The silos are so high and the leadership egos are so big that the organization is mostly TOXIC. Finger pointing everywhere: Sales blames everyone and lacks accountability for declining sales, product development is at the mercy of key sales people, and marketing is completely disconnected with big dreams and ideas without execution plans.

Advice to Management

There is a need for respect for each department from all senior leaders (EVP/VP level). There's a lot of smiling and pretending to get along, but the lack of cooperation and lack of dept alignment is too obvious and a known fact throughout the company. Yet it's accepted and tolerated ...

Broke my heart to see the true inside culture

Former Employee - Specialist in Woodridge, IL
    Former Employee - Specialist in Woodridge, IL

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Summer Fridays off at noon, tent sale discounts, product samples and baking tips from colleagues

Cons

Benefits not standard and must be negotiated, structure in constant flux, lack of leadership, training, organization, transparency. Communication struggles abound.Product development rules the roust and all others serve at their pleasure. Unreasonable expectations led to work-life balance promises not kept. Fake people.

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees better and stop looking the other way at the borderline corrupt business practices in your company.

7. Very disorganized; little to no communication between management & employees.

Former Employee - Coordinator in Woodridge, IL
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Woodridge, IL

I worked at Wilton Brands

Pros

Despite all its shortcomings the company has: a laidback environment, great products, reputable CEO, nice holiday parties, culture of celebration, and tent sale

Cons

Difficult for minorities to move up within the company, lots of coworkers waste time standing around gossiping about each other, too many lazy employees, lack of communication by upper management, outdated data system, salaries are not competitive, management lack progressive thinking, generally don't like change, stuck in their old ways, force low-paying entry level employees stay overtime to do other people's jobs... must I go on....

Advice to Management

The company is not as progressive as it should be. You should re-evaluate your employees and whether they're bringing Wilton to the next level. When I worked there I saw too many coworkers goof off I wondered why they were even allowed to work there in the first place. Be careful... a lot of them pretend to work hard only when you're around. You should do an overhaul of the company and with more productive people you might end up with a better driven company.

Very disappointing.

Former Employee - Demand Planning Analyst in Woodridge, IL
    Former Employee - Demand Planning Analyst in Woodridge, IL

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool products, tent sale, emails from CEO, pay, benefits, not much comes to mind... as a customer I love Wilton but not so much as an employee

Cons

I agree with the guy who said forecasting is terrible and they're too SKU happy. The software was buggy and we always lost information and things were always switched around. Their data base was very unstable if you ask me and as a result it was very hard for us to forecast which items would sell. Management did nothing to help, they just told us to work with what we had. Our department had a high turnover rate, so we were always getting new employees and piling stuff on them without enough training, and that led to even more mishandling of our data. Most coworkers were nice but they were so cliquey, like we were in high school instead of an office setting. There was some OBVIOUS favoritism going on between managers and employees, and the good smart hardworking ones who didn't stoop to the level of butt kissing got looked over. I was tired of seeing the slackers get promoted over others who put in long hours and actually got stuff done. I also noticed that management wasn't big on communicating ... they expected us to read their minds. Same goes for some coworkers. A lot of mistakes were made because noone communicated with each other. When I was there all the people who quit over time were the smart ones who actually put in a lot of time and effort into doing their jobs right and they quit because they were tired of being overworked and ignored at the same time. I was one of them and I'm glad that I found a better job.

Advice to Management

Start listening to ALL of your employees (that means NO playing favorites) and take the time to recognize the ones who cared enough to do things right instead of your best friends. Get a better system, it will make everyone's life easier.

9. Tent sale - Mandatory Overtime

Former Employee - Tent Sale Stocker in Woodridge, IL
    Former Employee - Tent Sale Stocker in Woodridge, IL

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Made quite a bit of money

Cons

They had us switch from day shift to night shift for 3 weeks then back to day shift. The shifts were 8 hours long but for the night shifts they basically told us if you don't want to work 10-12 hours every day (including both saturday and sunday) we have other people that'd do it so you'd be let go. Immoral in my book.

It was good for a while, but then egos and politics got out of control.

I have been working at Wilton Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The colleagues are great! There's still a "family-owned" feel to the Company. For the most part, people are friendly and helpful with a "get it done" attitude.

Cons

Most of the executives are very good, but there's no reason to allow a "Jerk" to wreck it. Cool ideas and rah-rah pitches (inside and outside the Company) are no substitute for real competence.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Check out the facts. Don't be swayed by fancy talk and twisted information.

Stressful

I worked at Wilton Brands (More than a year)

Pros

Company product line is fun to work with. Always looking for something fun and new to produce.

Cons

Very stressful. A LOT of politics.

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees more

RSS Feed </> Embed