WinCo Foods Reviews

Reset
3.2
WinCo Foods President, CEO, and Director Steven Goddard
Steven Goddard

Pros
  • good benefits/ESOP not what it used to be the big corporate guys who retired took it all (in 8 reviews)

• Ranging from medical and dental to reductions in bills from associated vendors like Verizon Wireless (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The other thing that I disagree with is the pay scale after you become full time status (in 10 reviews)

• culture,work-life balance,promotions, and extreme labor if you're doing freight (in 3 reviews)

1. WinCo Foods

Former Employee - Seafood/Deli Clerk in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Seafood/Deli Clerk in Stockton, CA

I worked at WinCo Foods (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Hours first and foremost. Also, if you looking for a job that gives awesome benefits and great packages for yourself and your family then that is a great start. Also, its Employee Owned.

Cons

I would have to say there were no cons while I was working with this employer

2. Rapid growth, Undertrained management and staff

I worked at WinCo Foods (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employee Owned Company, amazing benefits for health, dental and medical

Cons

Growing more rapidly then can accommodate, hiring people outside the company from failing companies who have no idea the WinCo way, the policies or the principals and what has made this company thrive over time. Lost basic core beliefs.

Advice to Management

Train your managers and follow up yo make sure things are running correctly in your stores, especially in newer divisions.

3. Deli Clerk

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Puyallup, WA
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Puyallup, WA

I worked at WinCo Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Winco takes pride in being employee owned and giving benefits

Cons

It is hard to resolve problems with supervisors

Advice to Management

Listen to employees when they say they have issues with their suoervisors

Store Personnel Clerk

Former Employee - Store Personnel Clerk in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Store Personnel Clerk in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at WinCo Foods full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

has great employees, great benefits and retirement

Cons

not remembering how the company started and hiring outside management from failing companies.

Advice to Management

Winco need to promote and train within the company and stop hiring and promoting management to run our company when they have no ideas why the company is successful. It takes longer then a year to understand why we are what we are.

Good Company

Former Employee - Cashier in South Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Cashier in South Ogden, UT

I worked at WinCo Foods (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome people to work with, great environment.

Cons

I loved everything about this company

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

7. Run the other way unless you enjoy playing school games.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roy, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roy, UT

I worked at WinCo Foods part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing. I am thankful to not be working there anymore. It's too stressful and a very unhappy, unappreciative environment.

Cons

*Management is the biggest downfall of all unless you befriend one of them and become a member of their favorites group. Otherwise, be prepared to be treated like dirt. Doesn't matter if you are a great, hard worker. If management doesn't like you personally, forget it. *Second downfall is the ridiculous points system they have. If you are even late a mere 2 minutes after your start time regardless of why, you will have points scored against you. You can also get points for calling in sick. These points follow you for a year. Accumulate enough of them and it can lead to being fired. *Pay is low to begin with, but since schedules are decided weekly, you could work 27 hours one week and 17 the next. *The days you work also change from week to week, so it's difficult to have a life outside of working here. *They offer benefits, which are suppose to be wonderful from what I've heard ( I could never get scheduled for enough hours to qualify no matter how many times i asked) but you don't qualify for them unless you are able to work a steady 20+ hours per week, which can be a challenge with thr unsteady scheduling. * The environment is unfriendly. Talking to your coworkers is not allowed even if you are both doing work at the time because they feel that if you are talking, you can't possibly multi-task and be getting your work done at the same time. Management micro-manages instead of helping get the work done. *Break is 10 minutes and they are strict on that with the help of cameras and managers standing nearby watching the time. *You are not allowed to go outside of the store at anytime during your shift. *It is difficult to become a full-time employee (40 hours every week). *There is no team unity. It's every worker for themselves.

Advice to Management

*Stop micro-managing your workers and treat them like adults. Maybe then they will respect you more and that will result in better cooperation and work getting done more efficiently. *Stop fighting and competing against each other and work together as a team. You are the core of the store and your chaos trickles down in your work and to your workers under your management. *Get rid of the points system or at least make it more human compatible. Life happens and sometimes there are legitimate good reasons why a worker is late or why they are calling in sick. Things like that should be taken into consideration before making the final decision to downgrade the employee with points.

Good company great benefits, AMAZING retirement

I have been working at WinCo Foods full-time

Pros

Been there almost 18 years and the retirement is absolutely amazing, Benefits are inexpensive and offer great coverage.

Cons

Stressful, busy and always something to do but the days go by fast and before you know it is time to go.

Advice to Management

Although this company has grown, don't forget where WinCo started, the employees who gave themselves up to make this company what it is today.

Worked as a cashier for 2 years. Helped me pay for community college and get a good first start.

Current Employee - Cashier in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Cashier in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at WinCo Foods part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, the management is open to working with your schedule, pay is decent, paid vacation and sick leave for employees.

Cons

They don't hire enough people so the workload can be stressful. Customers are often rude which leads to more stress. Very little support for workplace fatigue and stress. Pay isn't as good as it could be. "Employee-owned" isn't what it sounds. We most certainly do not own the company.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and don't try and load a huge amount of work onto just a handful of people. Allow your employees to form unions.

10. GO Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at WinCo Foods full-time

Pros

Looking for a career it is an excellent place to work and regardless of your educational level you can retire a millionaire. There are a lot of ways to promote from within if you create a good brand for yourself and volunteer for additional responsibilities.

Cons

Seems overly structured on occasion, but in all fairness, consistency is important if not critical from a risk management point of view.

Advice to Management

Try new things...experiment with schedules and outside of the box practices. If new approaches don't work you can always resort back.

11. Freight crew

Current Employee - Freight Clerk in Springfield, OR
    Current Employee - Freight Clerk in Springfield, OR

I have been working at WinCo Foods full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you work hard and perform what's expected you usually get a 35-40 hour week schedule with two days off in a row.

Cons

Poor work hours, usually 11:30 -8 am. Terrible attendance policy!!! Don't be late or get sick or your job is in danger. Most of the time you are understaffed.

Advice to Management

Schedule more employees per night to avoid wearing your crew into the ground. Also play fair, don't play favorites with a lead or the crew will resent you.

RSS Feed </> Embed