WinCo Foods

Updated March 2, 2015
3.1

WinCo Foods President, CEO, and Director Steven Goddard
Steven Goddard

Pros
  • good benefits/ESOP not what it used to be the big corporate guys who retired took it all (in 8 reviews)

• Ranging from medical and dental to reductions in bills from associated vendors like Verizon Wireless (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • will hire you full-time and try to work you 60 (in 10 reviews)

• I think that hard work is sometimes not recognized (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

awesonme proscess great to work woith

Current Employee - DC Personnel Cler in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - DC Personnel Cler in Modesto, CA

I have been working at WinCo Foods

Pros

very tiring but great tgrelkj to work with thanknyou for thelhiping me make my mortgage payments

Cons

great tuition reimbursement awesome fofllife style

notne

My life at a quick glance

I have been working at WinCo Foods

Pros

Safety, Team Work , Customer satisfaction are a plus its what makes a work place desirable

Cons

Distance from home is disgruntling, but not and issue

Im a high energy team oriented player and extremely loyal.

Part time cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in Kennewick, WA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Kennewick, WA

I worked at WinCo Foods part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Customers and great co workers. Good hours at first.

Cons

Standing for a long time in one spot was difficult. New management gave me more hours than I could handle with school. Broken promises about giving me days off. Minimum wage.

Don't break promises with your employees and don't schedule them outside of their available times.

I am a quick learner who has been stocking and packaging for different companies.

Current Employee - Night Stocker in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Night Stocker in Spokane, WA

I have been working at WinCo Foods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best reason I choose for this position is that I like to do stockings and packaging for companies. Really enjoy night shift.

Cons

haven't actually had any down side.

Awesome company

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Portland, OR

I have been working at WinCo Foods

Pros

ESOP
    There is plenty of room for growth in the company.
    They promote from within first.
    Raises are based on hours worked.
    Amazing benefits.
    Competitive pay.

Cons

Even with a good work ethic and working your hardest, you still only get raises once you've hit the right amount of hours worked.

Employee relations

Current Employee - Deli Clerk
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk

I have been working at WinCo Foods full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Not many except people who work for the company, and who , by the way, are never recognized as important assets of the company.

Cons

Lack of communication: Internal policies are poorly communicated to employees. Yet, employees are punished if they violate the internal policies UNINTENTIONALLY.
    Promotions: At least in Beaverton Oregon, younger workers are provided with training while seasoned employees are kept in the same job. The company's explanation is that they are not promoted because they are good at what they do or so that is what they let employees know. While this may satisfied the conformist ear, I strongly believe that the company is wasting talent by not allowing good performance expand their potential. I said that promotions is an issue in this company, and it is. the company promote inexperienced, yet young, individuals to management positions.
    Unrealistic expectations: According to management, employees are not hired only to fill orders, but to 'sale' products. This, I consider unrealistic because employees ARE NOT PROVIDED WITH ANY SORT OF PRODUCT INFORMATION AND/OR BASIC SALES TECHNIQUES TO product. Basic sales rule: " You must know your product to sell it".

If you want to provide QUALITY CUSTOMER SERVICE AS WHOLEFOODS, FRED MEYER OR ANY OF YOUR COMPETITORS DO, YOU NEED TO INVEST IN YOUR FRONT END WORKERS.
    ALSO, RE EVALUATE YOUR PROMOTION PRACTICES AND MAKE AN EFFORT TO LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES AT THE BOTTOM. WHILE YOU PROMOTE YOUNG PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY HAVE MORE STAMINA TO DO THEY HARD PHYSICAL JOB THAT IT REQUIRED TO GET THINGS DONE, YOU ARE ALSO UNDER UTILIZING THE KNOWLEDGE OF SEASON EMPLOYEES WHO CAN HELP THE COMPANY IMPROVE THE SERVICE QUALITY THAT YOU WANT TO HAVE IN THE FUTURE.

Chronically understaffed.

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Bellingham, WA

I worked at WinCo Foods part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Hired on as part-time, scheduled for 37+ hours per week.
    Ability to accurately submit availability schedules/submit requests for which two days of the week off.
    Friendly coworkers. (They're in the same boat as you)

Cons

- Department is chronically understaffed - one person is responsible for a job well suited for two people. (One to work the counter, and the other to cook chicken/prepare meats, etc...not the case at WinCo.) It's not just the store, it's the "WinCo way" - saving customers money by not taking credit cards, customers bagging their own groceries, AND staffing the least amount of people corporate deems necessary to complete the job. It's not just the Deli, it's up front with the cashiers, (long lines) produce (low stock), etc. Frustrating as all hell a customer and as an employee.

How can an employee provide good customer service if they're doing two jobs?

Simple: They can't. Add more staff, please, for the sake of employee anxiety and customer happiness.

- "No overtime allowed unless authorized" - This applies to many companies, so no complaints there. At WinCo, you're not allowed to go into overtime on a scheduled shift FOR ANY REASON. So if you're working in the Deli and twenty customers want meat sliced all at once, and because of it you end up half an hour behind your cleaning routine, BECAUSE of customer service, it's the employee's fault for being late and going over their scheduled hours.

As employees, we rush through our jobs and many weekly cleaning tasks (scrubbing of walls, cooking vents, etc) never get started and stay dirty because there isn't enough time for anyone to do it.

Add more staff. Seriously, both the employees and the customers will appreciate it. I don't like having to ignore my customers waiting for hot food because I have to load an oven or prep food for the next shift - but there isn't any other options to get the job done.

I thought WinCo was about excellent customer service?

winco

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Kent, WA

I have been working at WinCo Foods part-time (more than a year)

Pros

good benefits, you can work when you can by filling out an availability form.

Cons

part time workers, don't get many hours, sometimes not enough to be getting insurance. always cutting hours and hiring more employees, so some people get as many as 4 or 5 hrs a week. Cant trust anyone, some co workers act like they are still in first grade, two faced people, lots of drama.

na

Takes the right kind of person.

I have been working at WinCo Foods

Pros

Work Life Balance
    Great Benifits And

Cons

Hourly pay raised so you can slack off and get over time to not get your work done.

Needs a overhaul at the store to get things running smoother.

Never Again

I have been working at WinCo Foods part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coworkers, Pay, Benefits, Rewards, and Advancement

Cons

Scheduling, Customers, Management, Ridiculous rules, and Hours