WinCo Foods Reviews

Updated September 26, 2014
3.1

WinCo Foods President, CEO, and Director Steven Goddard
Steven Goddard

Pros
  • good benefits/ESOP not what it used to be the big corporate guys who retired took it all (in 8 reviews)

• Ranging from medical and dental to reductions in bills from associated vendors like Verizon Wireless (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • will hire you full-time and try to work you 60 (in 10 reviews)

• I think that hard work is sometimes not recognized (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great employee owned store

I have been working at WinCo Foods part-time

Pros

-Great Pay
    -great management
    -works around your schedule

Cons

-can have some messy duties
    -sometimes can be called in early, but very rare

The Best

Current Employee - Receiver in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Receiver in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

I have been working at WinCo Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Winco Foods helped me find myself and gave me a change to bring out my gifts and talents that I never knew I had. If you are a team player and love helping people then you could go a long way with this company. Winco Foods has great Medical and a Retirement Plan. I tell everyone that if you are looking for quick money now then it may not be for you, but if you are looking for a great future and retirement then this is a place you want to be. My saying is sacrifice now and enjoy the later.

Cons

One thing that I've up observe at work is when some people get into upper positions they a loud themselves to let it go to their heads. They tend to become controllers rather than a leader. The other thing that I disagree with is the pay scale after you become full time status. The reason I say this is because you have some that are Team Players that go over and beyond, where some just take their time milk the clock and still each gets paid the same. To me this is not fare.

It takes good Leadership and someone that has the best interest of others rather than themselves. A leader should be a good role model for the employees. Be a source of inspiration for them. I think that Management needs to be more aware of their employees, hold their employees more accountable for their job. So offended I see co-workers getting away with not performing their job, while others are picking up their slack. I see co-workers causing wasting my ESOP. Thanks

Good Overall experience

Current Employee - Freight Clerk in Twin Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Freight Clerk in Twin Falls, ID

I have been working at WinCo Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, most people are really nice (some are slackers), pay is above union wage scale, company is starting to train people

Cons

not too much loafing, stressing college degree or will limit advancement, hours allocated to do you job is challenging and not really understandable

not all youngsters in the MIT or MA program are ready to be moved up.

Overall Great Employer

Former Employee - Freight Clerk in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Freight Clerk in Federal Way, WA

I worked at WinCo Foods part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They pay well for a grocery chain. With their step program you can earn raises quickly depending on how many hours you work. They were very flexible with my college schedule and would always let me pick up shifts if i need them. They will work with you in scheduling and have great benefits.

Cons

Some of the customers you encounter in this job are discouraging. Management will tell you one thing then tell the customer another. Some managers sat in their office rather then helping the employees stock, we don't like those ones.

Lead by example. If you want your employees to do something a certain way, do it yourself, they will follow.

WinCo is a mixed bag

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at WinCo Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The medical benefits are the biggest pro in my book. Medical coverage is a hot issue these days. We have full medical and dental with low deductibles (medical is $100/year). I am only charged $26/month for this. I've heard horror stories about other companies.
    Right behind this would be the ESOP program, which is a result of the company being "employee owned". This retirement program is really good, but only if you stay with the company for some time. Standard vestment schedule applies, you get 20% vestment each year until fully vested.
    Raises accrue by hours worked, NOT performance related at all. To make the math simple, if you work 40 hour weeks, you will get a raise about every six months. They reward performance with hours.
    IF you have good management they can be willing to work with your schedule. Quite a few of the people at my store have two jobs. Like any job, the more available you are & the harder you work, opportunities will present themselves.

Cons

Considering the Pros, this should be a great company. This is why my rating is good instead of great. If you are young, want to work hard, and don't mind graveyard, then you can work freight crew. The store's open 24 hours so you have to work around some customers. At first this seems good, and it can be. Usually freight crew are the only ones to get overtime, which can make for a nice check. The problem becomes that this can go on for a very long time in some stores. You may work 50-60 hours if you're doing even a decent job. Most guys get tired of this fairly soon. They get a $.65 premium for working at night, but expectations are high, and in all honesty, especially when you're just starting out, the pay is quite low. Considering how physically intense this job is, these guys really should be getting paid more. They are clearly the backbone of the company.
    Management is a total crap shoot. I've heard of people being fired for stealing, then hired back just because the manager liked them. One of my previous managers (who's no longer with the company) clearly played favorites. It was easy to see by who got which schedules, or what positions. I say this honestly as I was in their good graces. The manager I have now is a very straight shooter, no BS type, which I prefer, but that's not necessarily the norm.

You really need to treat everyone equally, and fairly. If you say you're going to do something, you absolutely need to follow through or your word means nothing. Lead by example and be very, very careful of showing favoritism.

Bulk foods

I have been working at WinCo Foods

Pros

Good manager, and easy shift work

Cons

The job is repetitive. People make messes all the time.

Nothing

In 5 years I've witnessed a steady decline as the company becomes more and more of a greedy, corporate beast.

Current Employee - Bulk Foods Clerk in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Bulk Foods Clerk in Salem, OR

I have been working at WinCo Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Dental, health, vision, all of that is good and certainly makes the job more valuable than just the hourly wage.

If you can stick it out at this place, you'll develop a thick hide and a great deal of patience, and it will make a lot of other customer service jobs seem like a cake walk in comparison.

Cons

WinCo is on a fast track to becoming the next Wal-Mart, and I mean that in the worst way imaginable. They are routinely taking more and more away from their employees, giving less/smaller bonuses, and drastically cutting back hours, while expanding and expecting harder work and more tasks to be accomplished from their already hard working employees. They provide an unreasonable amount of hours to accomplish an unreasonable amount of tasks, and the employees are simply not being appreciated.

It has become quite clear over the 5 years that I've been with this company, that the higher ups and upper management no longer genuinely care about the well being of their employees; all they are concerned with is squeezing every bit of life they can out of their staff in order to maximize profits so they can give themselves larger bonuses at the expense of the laborers, the people who are really responsible for making the company the success that it has become.

They continue to introduce and enforce unnecessary and ridiculous corporate policies (such as "Secret Shoppers") that generate fear and stress among the employees. I've witnessed several long time employees (15-20+ years) get canned do to these cold, unsympathetic, and heartless corporate policies; policies devised by new upper management that sees their employees as numerical values instead of people.

Once upon a time, WinCo was a fantastic company where everyone who worked there would consider themselves lucky. That is no longer the case. I would strongly not recommend working for this company. To give you an idea of the tone of the workplace, the coworkers joke about how they no longer have a soul after working there; a joke that I used to think was funny when I started, but after 5 years, it seems like more of a factual statement than a joke. I haven't even began to mention the rude, messy, and disrespectful customers that clog the aisles and suffocate you 8 hours a day, every day of the week; which is where the thick hide and patience comes in to play in order to keep a smile on your face while you service their every need.

Advice to management? Well, since all of the good old boys that founded the company are gone, and those who are running the show now are solely concerned with maximizing profit at any expense (most notably at the expense of their laborers), my advice to management would be for them to quit, and let some of the long term veterans of the business take their place, people who know the importance of showing your employees respect and appreciation, people who see their employees as real, hard-working men and women, and not just expendable numbers to be tossed about in corporate formulas and irrational equations.

Deli Clerk

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at WinCo Foods

Pros

At least I have a job.

Cons

Terrible pay with no possibility of merit raises for hard workers.
    Insurance doesn't cover enough of the medical problems you will develop from working here.
    No consistency with work schedule.
    Near impossible to work full-time.
    Employees are penalized for being sick, which means customer food is being prepared by contagious employees.
    Work is unrealisticly physically demanding and damaging.
    Workers compensation practices border on illegal.
    Same-sex families are not offered equal benefits.

Increase wages. Offer merit raises for employees who are deserving. Offer equal benefits regardless of sexual orientation. Offer more full-time positions. Work towards more consistent scheduling to allow for better work/life balance. Find ways to reduce the physical toll on workers.
    Bring in lower paid workers to assist in making corporate decisions. "Employee Owned" should translate to a more dominate worker voice.

No regard for the hard working, To much discrimination and favoritism, especially with Management and CUTE YOUNG WOMEN!

Current Employee - Checker in Perris, CA
    Current Employee - Checker in Perris, CA

I have been working at WinCo Foods part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you need a job and can get in and are able to use the medical its great

Cons

pay sucks,promotions are limited to those they like or develop a relationship with.

Grow up, take care of the employees who make you look good, spoiled food being sold not good, remember if there was a strike could you run all the departments by yourself?

Poor operations

Former Employee - All-Purpose Clerk in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - All-Purpose Clerk in Portland, OR

I worked at WinCo Foods as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company does offers employees the same type of benefits that Walmart, Safeway, Alberson's and other food retailers does: Heath Benefits, Retirement Benefits, A&D Insurance, one week of pay vacation, personal holiday and four days of paid sick days after a year,

Cons

Also, it appears that hiring of employees with the right skill set is a normal practice: Most of the jobs require employees to have strong multitasking, organization, sales and customer service skills. The issue with this practice is that those who are hired become so overwhelmed with their job and quit or simply do not show up the following day. Human resources should provide hiring managers ( department managers) with hiring practices training.

Human resources should provide hiring managers ( department managers) with hiring practices training. If the company is really concern with cutting cost, it should find ways to prevent them. Hiring employees who leave the store, in the long run, can not increase your hiring expenses but worsen your already weak service level.