WinCo Foods

Friendly coworkers and customers

Current Employee - Deli Clerk
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk

I have been working at WinCo Foods

Pros

Coworkers are really nice and helpful during your adjustment period (i.e. while you make mistake after mistake)
    Pay increases happen every 1,000 hours, so there is no guesswork involved

Cons

Pay starts off at only a fraction above minimum wage
    There is no way to view your schedule online
    Arranging an absence from your schedule has to be done almost a week in advance

Consider an online system where employees can check their schedules. It would make scheduling easier, especially is they could log their time conflicts ahead of time online.

Friendly

Current Employee - Meat Clerk in North Richland Hills, TX
    Current Employee - Meat Clerk in North Richland Hills, TX

I have been working at WinCo Foods (more than a year)

Pros

People can grow at winco

Cons

Very very busy. People need to be used to fast past working environment

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Checker
    Former Employee - Checker

I worked at WinCo Foods full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Loved the ESOP retirement benefit.

Cons

Hourly pay was lower than the competition.

it was a new store so it was learning experience

Current Employee - Cashier in Victorville, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Victorville, CA

I have been working at WinCo Foods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with different people learning to work in a grocery store that is always open.

Cons

new store problems and problem solving

n/a

Great company to work for, not great management. ..

Current Employee - Lead Clerk in Perris, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Clerk in Perris, CA

I have been working at WinCo Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, vacation, benefits, esop, the benefits of working for the company are great but coworkers make it feel like High school

Cons

They used to hire from within but now they hire managers from other stores. I feel like core values have been lost, not much over time and they try to keep you way under 40 hours a week. Some people were working as little as 4 hours a week. HR department is quick to act without having all the facts so if they want you fired they will make it happen. They don't care about their employees safety only about the numbers

Reward good workers, listen to employees and maybe stop buying vacation homes for managers and go back to providing bigger bonuses for the workers

Very fun, productive and professional working environment with great customer service.

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at WinCo Foods full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Value of customer service. Clean. Excellent management.

Cons

At times a bit understaffed.

A good stepping-stone towards something more

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk

I worked at WinCo Foods part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I loved the people I worked with, including my supervisors and managers. The store I was at had a lot of long-time employees (people rarely quit or got fired), so after a while everyone knew one another really well. They were very willing to work around my school hours as they supported people trying to better themselves by earning degrees. The ESOP plan will be amazingly helpful once it pays out in a few years (takes 5 years to be 100% vested, then 5 years after last employment to pay). The health insurance was very inexpensive compared to everywhere else I have worked.

Cons

Decent pay for college students, but not for anyone else. Raises are based on hours worked, not merit. The days/hours can get you down if you don't like working on holidays/weekends/late-nights, but that is true for almost any retail/food-service job.

I would like to see some type of merit-based incentives brought in to help encourage employees from becoming jaded and lazy. People who had worked the cash registers for 15 years couldn't give a hoot to work fast or treat people nicely because they were topped-out pay-wise, and had no incentive to keep their job performance at a high level. I'm not suggesting doing something that would become divisive among employees. Maybe just recognize people individually for a job well-done.

Fast-paced, decent environment

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at WinCo Foods part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of interaction with community, no sitting around bored, constant updating of product mix means new things to learn and not just heavy materials to move.

Cons

Store is sometimes badly understaffed when things get busy. This may vary by location, but It can become difficult to provide any customer service when the whole center of the store has one person available because of break rotation,, etc. The company is built on a do-it-yourself platform, but that has its limits and downside sometimes.

My store is near a Costco and sometimes I'm not sure whether we're trying to compete on quality or price but we always seem to be choosing one or the other--hard to match them on both. The mystery shoppers are a joke. Most of the time we're too busy with customers to pay attention, but they can be spotted a mike away because they're apparently supposed to document all kinds of information so they have to go from department to department, stopping after each to write or type madly on their phones--pretty lame.

Great employee owned store

I have been working at WinCo Foods part-time

Pros

-Great Pay
    -great management
    -works around your schedule

Cons

-can have some messy duties
    -sometimes can be called in early, but very rare

The Best

Current Employee - Receiver in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Receiver in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

I have been working at WinCo Foods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Winco Foods helped me find myself and gave me a change to bring out my gifts and talents that I never knew I had. If you are a team player and love helping people then you could go a long way with this company. Winco Foods has great Medical and a Retirement Plan. I tell everyone that if you are looking for quick money now then it may not be for you, but if you are looking for a great future and retirement then this is a place you want to be. My saying is sacrifice now and enjoy the later.

Cons

One thing that I've up observe at work is when some people get into upper positions they a loud themselves to let it go to their heads. They tend to become controllers rather than a leader. The other thing that I disagree with is the pay scale after you become full time status. The reason I say this is because you have some that are Team Players that go over and beyond, where some just take their time milk the clock and still each gets paid the same. To me this is not fare.

It takes good Leadership and someone that has the best interest of others rather than themselves. A leader should be a good role model for the employees. Be a source of inspiration for them. I think that Management needs to be more aware of their employees, hold their employees more accountable for their job. So offended I see co-workers getting away with not performing their job, while others are picking up their slack. I see co-workers causing wasting my ESOP. Thanks