WinStar World Casino

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Safety Clerk  in  Thackerville, OK
    Current Employee - Safety Clerk in Thackerville, OK

I have been working at WinStar World Casino part-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing about WinStar is the benefits. They are second to none. I have two great bosses in my department. Another great thing is the variety of people who work there. They do not discriminate because of age, so there are people who are in their 80s and people who are in their 20s. There is opportunity for advancement in most departments, too.

Cons

The pay scale is rather low. You do get a 40 cent raise every year and a bonus in November if you do all the things required to earn it. Its not really hard to do.

There are a lot of things that could be done to make it a better place to work. The 28 hour part time thing should be the exception rather than the rule. There are people out there that only want to work a few hours, but most folks need more than that to survive.

excellent company to work for

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician  in  Thackerville, OK
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Thackerville, OK

I worked at WinStar World Casino part-time for more than a year

Pros

good pay, a lot of different jobs availiable within

Cons

travel cost, pay raise only once a year,

It's not just a job ... well, it's really just a job.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Thackerville, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thackerville, OK

I worked at WinStar World Casino full-time for more than a year

Pros

Superlative benefits and "family" work environment have been positive aspects touted by the company. If your lucky, you can work with a good crew that looks out for each other.

Cons

Unfortunately, the benefits are not what they used to be, and HR has tried to cut back on employees' time so they don't have to pay out so much. The problem with the family ideal is that it is not a family. Rampant nepotism and cronyism coupled with incompetent management discourage most competent employees. I thought once I got in the door in an entry-level job, I would be able to move up, but I was wrong. My degree and years of military service mean nothing to these people. I wasted a year with this company that doesn't care about its employees. Most of the mid-level casino staff and leadership are children that couldn't lead a cat out of a wet paper bag with a map, compass, and a GPS. Vault management consistently fails employees who contribute the most. Winstar is completely at odds with Chickasaw values.
    Oh, and don't get me started on the food. Totally disgusting.
    DON'T WORK HERE UNLESS YOU FALL INTO 1 OF 2 CATEGORIES: KIDS THAT DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY WANT TO DO WITH THEIR LIVES, OR BORED RETIREES THAT NEED HEALTH CARE BENEFITS.

Worthwhile employees are sometimes discouraged from advancement because they lose pay, or lose time. Restructure pay/benefits at the supervisor level so that quality employees will actually want to stay and earn promotion. Fire incompetent managers. If you can't figure out who those are, then you need to fire yourself!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If I could rate them negative stars, I would.

I have been working at WinStar World Casino

Pros

Meeting new and interesting people. Discounts at most of the restaurants. Time and a half pay on holidays.

Cons

You are expected to deliver the best customer service in the industry, but they literally make it impossible to do so. They do not offer equipment or tools for your job that work (it is the cheapest that they can find, and if it breaks they wont replace anything until they have duct taped it together for months and months). They do not communicate any new information that would be useful in order to do your job. They do not offer any benefits for new employees, however, I was grandfathered in as an employee of 5 years, and they still manage to screw me out of everything that they can. They rob their employees, are EXTREMELY cheap, are so incredibly unprofessional and unorganized it's unbelievable. They make sure to delay your yearly raises as long as they can until you literally have to plead and beg repeatedly and it still ends up being months late (but think of all the money that THEY are saving!). Also if you have an issue don't bother going to HR or their HQ in Ada, it won't do you any good. I consider myself a very valuable employee as my work ethic and attendance are never a problem and have never been at any of my previous jobs, but have never felt that they valued me or any of my many coworkers. They are a sovereign nation with lots and LOTS of money and will continue to do whatever they want and treat their employees as poorly as they can.

Maybe stop trying to screw over all of your employees, that would be a great start!

Decent pay and benefits for young people.

Current Employee - Player Club Clerk/Vault Clerk
    Current Employee - Player Club Clerk/Vault Clerk

I have been working at WinStar World Casino part-time for more than a year

Pros

While I was there, all part time employees got medical benefits after 90 days.
    Paid cross training and fun company events with great prizes!
    you get to meet a lot of interesting people

Cons

Not much room to move up.
    tends to be a lot or drama and favoritism within certain departments.
    When I was leaving they cut part time hours and pulled benefits.
    its a bit of a drive for most people.
    Manager treat employees like children.

provide management training so people in management and supervisor roles learn to properly and respectfully speak to their teams and handl internal issues.

Poor Management

Former Employee - Table Games Dealer  in  Thackerville, OK
    Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Thackerville, OK

I worked at WinStar World Casino full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Paid well and great insurance.

Cons

If you are a member of the tribe, there are no cons. If your are not, opportunities for advancement are fewer, as citizens always have priority, no matter their qualifications for the job or lack thereof.

Get out of the dark ages and stop conducting your business they way you did when it was a tent with 25 employees.

Good at First - going downhill fast

Current Employee - Blackjack Dealer  in  Thackerville, OK
    Current Employee - Blackjack Dealer in Thackerville, OK

I have been working at WinStar World Casino part-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy schedule for the most part. I worked 4 days a week with the option to leave early if it was slow. I did have to work 3rd shift (2am-10am) just to work with people that knew what they were doing.

Cons

Indian property. If you are a tribal member you will get promoted before anyone else does whether or not you are qualified for the position. Also makes it hard for you to get fired if you can just throw down that Indian card and get your job back. Non-Indians have no such luck.

Promote people who deserve it
    Stop changing the rules every week
    Fire people who deserved to be fired

Poor

Former Employee - Accountant  in  Thackerville, OK
    Former Employee - Accountant in Thackerville, OK

I worked at WinStar World Casino full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company pays for employee insurance

Cons

Bad management and poor pay

Treat your employees with respect and get rid of managers that do not perform and stop the favoritism.

Part time and no benefits.

Current Employee - Winstar Employee  in  Thackerville, OK
    Current Employee - Winstar Employee in Thackerville, OK

I have been working at WinStar World Casino part-time

Pros

Great people to work with. Supervisors are respectful and supportive. Discounts on meals is a plus. Free beverages provided at multiple break rooms throughout the casino. I really enjoyed my job but I must end it.

Cons

Winstar mainly hires part time , 29 hours and pay is low for industry average. A large percentage of employees accepted the part time and low pay because of paid insurance for the employee (employee only). At Open Enrollment this year part time employees learned of their insurance being cancelled as of 12.31.2013. In the past full time employment was available after 5 years of part time service. This has also been discontinued. I loved my job and the people that I work with but with recent changes and the requirements of the new healthcare law I can not afford to continue.

For a company that says it puts people first it is obvious that they do not. When you lose the respect and loyalty of employees it is hard to get it back.

It's a trap

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say  in  Thackerville, OK
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Thackerville, OK

I have been working at WinStar World Casino full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay is decent for someone just turning 18 without any college experience.

Cons

Nearly everything they tell you in orientation, otherwise known as "donate to our cause", is a lie. The pay is just good enough in some cases to trap people from moving further away due to the uncertain economy. Management has as little a clue as to what is going on in the vision of the company as one of the guests would. They cannot balance their books at all it seems and you will likely be paying the "great" state of Oklahoma anywhere from 9 to 3000 dollars in taxes come tax time. There is no upward mobility in the company and most people are never given interviews for alternate jobs. There are many health hazards on the floor of the casino and in fact I was recommended by my doctor to leave Winstar.

If you can get it there are some decent jobs that pay well (which is what you'd expect the number 1 interest of an employee that works for a CASINO to be) and those jobs are, Gaming Operations and CEO, everything else the pay does not match the stress. There are too many things that are mandatory, I can understand something requiring federal intervention; however they mandate you attend something called a "pride rally" how can anyone have pride if it is mandated?

And get this, a couple of years ago they had a "quit smoking" ideal for the IDP (you have to do a lot of work for your bonus check so lets no longer call it a bonus since there is extra work involved and also they tax it as a gift which is around 30% I believe), anyway the quit smoking deal... yes many of us quit smoking and switched to vaporizers which emit nothing but water vapor and some flavoring depending on what liquid you smoke. Then earlier this year it was "decided" by persons unknown to force the vaporizer people to only use it outside (impractical since you can be fired for looking at an outer door funny) or in the smoking room. Now some of the people who are using them have to use inhalers as well just to be able to breathe after their breaks.

I hope this helps I am going to stop now before it becomes a longer rant.

There is nothing I can say that would redeem this place. Like Sysyphus, I am bound to hell.

Worked for WinStar World Casino? Contribute to the Community!