Wind River Reviews

Reset
3.9
Wind River President Barry Mainz
Barry Mainz

Pros
  • Good work / life balance; experienced sales managers and field engineers; great customer base that like our products (in 11 reviews)

• you can learn embedded software & industry (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management is disrespectful of employees (in 7 reviews)

• Since being acquired by Intel in 2009, they make it very difficult for sales people to make money (in 4 reviews)

1. Enterprise Support Manager

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Plainfield, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Plainfield, IL

I have been working at Wind River full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Family oriented organization. Great manager, great team.

Cons

I can't say there are really any cons. I truly do love my job and what I do.

Advice to Management

Management team has done a great job with communication and with improving issues that previously affected employee moral.

2. Direcor

Pros

Good people, active in interesting segments of the market

Cons

Management has difficulty making strategic choices and sticking to them

Advice to Management

Build a stronger layer under you and delegate more

3. never worked there, interviewed there

Pros

Glassdoor manditory entry, else they cancel membership.

Cons

New glassdoor policy on min review entries is a definite con. Pollutes what was once a good thing.

Advice to Management

Glassdoor shouldn't make manditory entry requirement to maintain membership. Causes bogus reviews to keep membership.

Wind River

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA

I worked at Wind River full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid legacy product (VxWorks). Several inspiring, talented senior leaders (Douglas, Krutz, Fenton and Noyes). Very knowledgeable sales people, field engineers and services team. Decent people all around ("No jerk" policy). Nice HQ campus in Alameda.

Cons

Misguided new product strategies, sales leadership and C-suite. Having trouble carving out an identity inside Intel. Successful emphasis on big, long-term deals in 2014 has lead to severe drought of new bookings in 2015. Growth stalled. Moving backwards.

Advice to Management

Listen to field people. Admit recent sales re-org, particularly in Asia, has been a disaster - and act to rectify. Re-think how to integrate and win with Intel.

6. Business Development / Alliances

Current Employee - Senior Alliance
    Current Employee - Senior Alliance

I have been working at Wind River full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company! Long history in embedded software. Lots of different industries and markets that are interesting and challenging. Compensation is excellent and my management chain of command is great.

Cons

Company is driven by Intel -- as its parent company. Should be driven by the customer requirements, not Intel's. Seem distracted by "growth" opportunities.

Advice to Management

Focus on what brought WR to the market leadership position. Explain to INTC that lots of customers in the embedded side are _very_ satisfied with "good enough". Explain to the parent company that the dev cycles in embedded are longer than enterprise.

In Sales Organization

Former Employee - In Sales Organization in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - In Sales Organization in San Jose, CA

I worked at Wind River full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Historically good technology but trying to figure out how not to become another extinct company as the world is turning toward free software at every opportunity.

Cons

eStaff is all over the place. Finance has too much control. Did too many multiple year deals in the past and for some reason and then can't figure out why they aren't getting new sales in the current fiscal year....duh..... CEO used to be someone you could talk honestly with but now just trashes everyone. Nobody can be honest with him anymore. Those who try are made to feel like idiots.

Advice to Management

Your people are working their butts off, stop blaming them for your errors.

8. Very helpful colleagues

Former Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Wind River full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in Wind River's Customer Support Organization for 5+ years (before retiring). What I'll always remember about WR CSO is the way that all of us helped each other. Our customers were themselves software engineers, so in CSO it's one group of engineers helping other engineers. Within CSO we always helped each other without hesitation to resolve customer issues.

Cons

With our group scattered around the county, I never met some of my colleagues face-to-face.

Advice to Management

Have the customer support group meet together in person at least once a year.

Feast of famine

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Wind River full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of great people, the products are innovative and they are the market leader / maker.

Cons

Ruthless, uncaring sales management.. Either you come up with a "mega-deal" or you are worthless.

10. Great Place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA

Pros

Once of the nicest companies to work for. I was on contract with the HR team . Its a very professional environment where you are encouraged to come up with ideas. People are extremely polite , friendly and accomodating. I had a wonderful time working there and learnt a lot. Most of the team members are subject matter experts in their fields wether it is Recruitment/HR or Benefits administration. A great place to work.

Cons

Nothing that i came across. I was happy with the team and the work culture.

11. Excellent Company

I have been working at Wind River full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Open and frequent communication from management. Good work life balance and benefits

Cons

Planned "purges" of employees who are seen as lower performers on a quarterly basis. Alignment with Intel is weak and sometimes a distraction

RSS Feed </> Embed