Wind River Reviews

115 reviews filtered by
4.0
Wind River President Barry Mainz
Barry Mainz

Pros
  • Good work / life balance; experienced sales managers and field engineers; great customer base that like our products (in 11 reviews)

• A lead company in embedded software industry (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has been floundering for years trying to find a direction (in 7 reviews)

• being acquired by Intel slowed the company down, and caused focus to be almost exclusively on the top 5% of customers (in 4 reviews)

Great co-workers and benefits

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at Wind River full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, empowers employees to take action, encourages growth and learning, generous compensation and benefits. Excellent work/life balance - great vacation package and reasonable work hours. Rewards staff who work hard and are self-motivated. Colleagues are excellent - intelligent and great to work with.

Cons

Company feels stagnant, and North America offices/staff continue to shrink. Layoffs occur annually, and staff who leave voluntarily are usually not replaced. Staff are challenged to stay motivated in this environment. I'm hopeful that recent changes in upper management will improve these issues.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and look at the big picture, rather than focusing on quarterly numbers. Short-term risks/changes may be required for long term success.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Wind River

Pros

The PEOPLE, great location, very collaborative

Cons

Male dominated at executive ranks, mixed financial results

Advice to Management

Implement stronger processes and controls

3. Very happy working at Wind River

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Wind River full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The interview process was quick and relatively painless. The benefits are wonderful with the usual, plus onsite gym and cafe. Lots of social events. Dog friendly. The people are fun, interesting, professional and intelligent. Great location on the water with walking paths. I’ve been here a short time, but it appears Wind River promotes within. I hope to work for Wind River for a very long time.

Cons

No cons so far, but then I'm relatively new to Wind River.

5. Extremely welcoming and accommodating

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Wind River full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The Alameda campus is wonderful with great amenities like a gym, café, shittle bewteen Lake Merritt BART, bikes to borrow, exercise classes, wonderful trails, kid and pet friendly office, and no cubicles!

All of the people I have worked with are amazing: smart, talented, capable and knowledgable about their fields.

IT & HR are stellar. There was a problem ordering equipment I needed, so my HR manager just went to the Apple store and got everything I needed.

The corporate culture is, in my opinion, geared towards good morale. And it never seems forced. The company (and Barry, the CEO) genuinely seem to support the employees.

Cons

The company is HUGE. If you are used to small companies, it can be a really big transition. Like any company of this size, there is a lot of red tape on some very simple things. It can be overwhelming if you're not used it.

Advice to Management

Continue working on communication with employees and transparency. This isn't to say it's bad, because it's really good. Just make sure you keep it up!

Great job for the right person

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff

I worked at Wind River full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The amount of flexibility provided to the working staff is really great. Benefits are pretty awesome and bonuses are consistently high. There are some cool technologies being developed and company wide educational resources are available to all. Some of the guys that have been around for a number of years are really sharp.

Cons

Pace of work is very very slow. There's no motivation to grow as an employee even though there are explicitly defined goals. Management seems lost most of the time.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to best utilize the resources. Get and keep your employees motivated to grow within the company rather than force out the good ones by allowing them to waste away.

Good for a few years, until the faulty rebuilding plans started happening twice a year

I have been working at Wind River full-time

Pros

Good engineers, good support staff. The CEO has a great attitude.

Cons

Each management level seems to fear the management level above them, so innovative ideas / suggestions / pitfall warnings don't make it up to the top levels. The CEO is not hearing what is really happening below him... that information manifests when major issues occur.

Advice to Management

Fearlessly deliver your best

Company Making The Right Calls - Bravo!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Wind River full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company going through a transformation and it feels like our new products and strategy is getting great traction. The strategy is super clear as well as what success is.

Cons

Employees who don't read email or who do not attend all hands feel they can make negative comments about the company and they should be listened to. Pay attention and think before you make silly comments.

Advice to Management

Don't pay attention to silly feedback from employees who should get a clue. President we are behind you.

Things Are Changing For The Better - Winning Is In The Air

Current Employee - Engineer in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Wind River full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company is in an interesting space. leader in our industry. I like the executive team as they have made soem tough calls that are starting to have a positive change. I like the transparancy and engergy of new Presdient

Cons

Still have process' that could be modfied to help us move faster. Also need to make sure that we dont try to do too many things which will spread our resources too thinly.

Advice to Management

We are workiing hard but work life balance still good!

Just passing through

Former Employee - Programmer in Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Programmer in Alameda, CA

I worked at Wind River full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice location, good people, interesting work, decent compensation.

Cons

Layoffs out of the clear blue sky.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the little guys. When every one in the company is thinking Linux could be an issue, try not thinking that no one has a clue.

Thoroughly enjoyed working with many excellent people, however leadership in areas is questionable

Former Employee - Account Representative in Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Alameda, CA

I worked at Wind River full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tons of great people worked there when I was employed there. Fairly relaxed environment at times, however still always cognizant of pressure to produce. . Salary and pay while I was there was extremely competitive, no complaints there. Many terrific people in my department that are still friends and I am currently connected to.

Cons

My personal experience was that there were certain aspects of working there that I absolutely loved, however the biggest problem I had was with questionable company direction and focus. Wholesale restructuring and oddball management decisions that were very questionable were consistently made during my tenure there.

Advice to Management

Less focus on trying to be "cool" company, and more focus on hiring professionals with proven track record.

Wind River Photos