Wind River Reviews

Updated September 8, 2014
4.0

Wind River President Barry Mainz
Barry Mainz

Pros
  • Good work / life balance; experienced sales managers and field engineers; great customer base that like our products (in 11 reviews)

• A lead company in embedded software industry (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has been floundering for years trying to find a direction (in 7 reviews)

• being acquired by Intel slowed the company down, and caused focus to be almost exclusively on the top 5% of customers (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Tumultuous

Former Employee - Technical Writer  in  Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Alameda, CA

I worked at Wind River

Pros

good location, company subsidized cafeteria, great co-workers, private office, interesting work

Cons

processes outdated and inefficient
    senior management lacks respect for lower ranks
    inconsistent support and lack of understanding of the role for technical publications
    cut-throat approach to revising processes or organizational alignment

you need a clearly articulated content strategy and the processes, resources, and commitment to implement that strategy.

friendly work environment but lot of politics

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Wind River

Pros

If you want flexible work hours, this is good place to work, but not for growth prospects.

Cons

lot of politics at manager level and even though it is part of intel, its benifits are really bad and still operate as a start up.

Better not dependent on only manager for employee reviews, some of the managers play really bad plotics to not let grow smart engineers than the managers.

If you are in Sales, run, run far away

Former Employee - Sales  in  Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Alameda, CA

I worked at Wind River

Pros

-have your own office
    -access to free gym

Cons

Since being acquired by Intel in 2009, they make it very difficult for sales people to make money. Expect comp plans to change every year. They have implemented many caps on comissions and don't pay accelerators until the year end.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hardworking, supportive, highly motivated workers and flexible workplace, very few slackers.

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Diego, CA

I worked at Wind River

Pros

You work hard, but are treated as an adult. Not a micromanaging company. As an international company, you could be working at all hours of the day, but you have the flexibility to work you hours so you can maintain your private life.

Cons

Once you are known as an expert in one area, it is difficult for the management to have the vision to see you working in another area, even though most people there are some of the most capable people I have worked with. This makes it more difficult, for example to move from one technology to another, or (to some degree) from engineering into management.

Even your best people are looking for ways to grow. Find those ways.

Remember that we can tell when management is making decisions that favor their personal goals, like eliminating the sabbatical, or forcing vacations, to improve the bottom line enough to make your personal bonus. You are asking the troops to sacrifice so you can make a bit more. Fairness is important! Another example of this is when we merged with Intel, the employee had to absorb the cost of selling our vested shares/options. It was a trivial amount (about $30 in my case), but the principle involved is important: it shows how senior management is looking out for themselves, not the employees.

Bottom line: we are not fools and we can tell B.S. when we hear it. Wind River is actually better at this then most companies, but everyone can improve.

Except for that, my experience at Wind River is one I greatly enjoyed and would recommend the company to anyone.

I marked Ken's leadership as "I approve", because he has basically done a sound job, but the above selfishness that I see on his part needs to be addressed.

Good

I have been working at Wind River

Pros

agile, startup-like environment, good work environment

Cons

unclear corp vision. compensation not par with industry

A great place to get a nap in.

I have been working at Wind River

Pros

Very low demands on non-engineering employees. Showing up is pretty much optional.
    No need for concern over performance. Heck - nobody else is doing it.
    Nice campus for leisurely walks and frolicking with employee's dogs.
    This company used to be great and there are still people around who have positive asociations with the earlier products.

Cons

Wind River is a career death trap.
    Internal executive-level bickering and power struggles can sometimes interrupt underling quiet time.
    Crummy bonuses (almost never paid to employees)
    Complete lack of cohesive, productive strategy
    Executives that clearly have no intention of doing anything with this company
    Terrifying CEO

When you're done milking this dry, please leave.

WInd River Systems

Current Employee - Technical  in  Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Technical in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Wind River

Pros

Great place to work, also great location in Alameda

Cons

Staffing is very tight for project workload

Keep up the good work!

Overall good people here

I have been working at Wind River

Pros

Good people to work with. Smart employee base.

Cons

Different ways to do things

Need to change some leadership

Inside reps have very little potential to get promoted to field sales

Former Employee - Inside Sales  in  Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Alameda, CA

I worked at Wind River

Pros

Very streamlined business. Stable revenue history. Great technology. Big name in a small marketplace. They treat you very well as an employee. Inside sales management is fair and they do not micro-manage you. The inside organization is the best I have worked for in my career.

Cons

Wind River field sales management rarely promotes from within. Only 4 inside reps have made it to the field in the last 10 years. Only one Regional Director has ever promoted inside reps to his local California field territory, BUT MOST OF HIS PEOPLE DO NOT LIKE WORKING FOR HIM. If you take an inside job at Wind River, there is no merit system on how to be awarded a promotion to the field, or even interview for an outside job. The field organization is a highly political, illogical organization that does not reward the talent of the inside organization. Much like Oracle, it is a good company to springboard your career, but not to acclimate to the field. The outside sales managers are dinosaurs near the end of their careers. They are highly disinterested in helping the inside organization find a pathway to the field. The inside managers have no pull with the field management to get their people promoted.

My advice to the field sales management is to promote from within more. You continue to hire people from the outside for field jobs. Many of your Account Managers cannot even find their way to a cold call. They are lazy and live off of renewal and production license revenue, while they lean on their team members to find deals for their pipeline. Many of these Account Managers take credit for the deals that their inside people find and work. You have some talented people in the inside who are worthy of promotion to the field, but you have not created a merit system addressing who should be given an opportunity. You make decisions based on politics. You also ignore the judgement of the inside managers who often have to clean up the mess left behind by some of your reckless Account Managers who actuallly do not do their jobs very well. Many of your Account Managers often turn to their inside reps to understand processes and how to put a deal together. I left Wind River for a field job after 3 years because Wind River offered me no pathway to promotion. Now I make twice as much as I did as an inside rep at Wind River.

Great place to work for people with no talent and even less ambition

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA

I worked at Wind River

Pros

* Nice little campus in the middle of nowhere
    * Offices, not cubicles - ideal for hiding behind closed doors
    * Offers high level of consistency, no distraction through innovation or change
    * Work environment highly tolerant to error and failure
    * This is the ideal place for people who like the salaries of the tech industry, but are tired of its demands! At Wind River, performance doesn't matter.
    * If you're a former employee of Mercury, Cadence or Rational, even better! We're all a big family here.
    * Just look at our web page -- doesn't it look like 1997? -- So do we!

Cons

* There are a few annoying people left who try to make a difference
    * Some customers insist on getting what was promised
    * The outside world is moving so fast, it makes your head spin
    * Those Intel guys might one day cause trouble (for example: work)

Keep on the good work! You gave a home to people who are the sad results of uncommitted abortions.

Wind River Photos

Wind River Headquarters
Wind River Santa Clara Office Ribbon Cutting Ceremony with Mayor Jamie Matthews
Wind River Mobile Technology Showcase
Corporate Headquarters

+ Add Photo

Worked for Wind River? Contribute to the Community!