Wind River

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Wind River President Barry Mainz

Barry Mainz

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Company Making The Right Calls - Bravo!

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Alameda, CA

ProsCompany going through a transformation and it feels like our new products and strategy is getting great traction. The strategy is super clear as well as what success is.

ConsEmployees who don't read email or who do not attend all hands feel they can make negative comments about the company and they should be listened to. Pay attention and think before you make silly comments.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't pay attention to silly feedback from employees who should get a clue. President we are behind you.

Things Are Changing For The Better - Winning Is In The Air

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Alameda, CA

ProsCompany is in an interesting space. leader in our industry. I like the executive team as they have made soem tough calls that are starting to have a positive change. I like the transparancy and engergy of new Presdient

ConsStill have process' that could be modfied to help us move faster. Also need to make sure that we dont try to do too many things which will spread our resources too thinly.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are workiing hard but work life balance still good!

Much changes over the years and is now poised for growth.

Director (Current Employee)
    Alameda, CA

ProsGreat group of people who want to do the right right always looking out for customers and WRs benefit as win-win. Opportunity for learning and advancement for anyone willing to put the effort. Interesting work and fun loving co-workers. Work- life balance is great.

ConsProcess inefficiencies are getting improved with the upgrade of systems and management getting more standardized. Some folks feel entitled for whatever reason and don't think they need to work but they are getting weeded out.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay on course with doing what you set out to do. Don't start changing course too quickly...look at your data, listen to the field and customers.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just passing through

Programmer (Former Employee)
    Alameda, CA

ProsNice location, good people, interesting work, decent compensation.

ConsLayoffs out of the clear blue sky.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the little guys. When every one in the company is thinking Linux could be an issue, try not thinking that no one has a clue.

Thoroughly enjoyed working with many excellent people, however leadership in areas is questionable

Account Representative (Former Employee)
    Alameda, CA

ProsTons of great people worked there when I was employed there. Fairly relaxed environment at times, however still always cognizant of pressure to produce. . Salary and pay while I was there was extremely competitive, no complaints there. Many terrific people in my department that are still friends and I am currently connected to.

ConsMy personal experience was that there were certain aspects of working there that I absolutely loved, however the biggest problem I had was with questionable company direction and focus. Wholesale restructuring and oddball management decisions that were very questionable were consistently made during my tenure there.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess focus on trying to be "cool" company, and more focus on hiring professionals with proven track record.

Great Company Vibe - Good Change Is Happening!

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Alameda, CA

ProsNew products are getting traction, lots of energy, smart and fun employees and love the new president's passion, focus and execution

ConsStill some departments lack velocity but this is changing

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to hold employees accountable… We are counting on you!

Manager

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsLove the "new" Wind River. It feels like the Sr Management is really making the tough calls and we are starting to win. like the campus and the space tech space we are in

ConsWorking hard and loving it... feel for some of the employees that choose to work here for lifestyle as they are being weeded out

Advice to Senior ManagementNew President keep the fire burning hot! The company is behind you!

If you're expecting professionals like the parent company, Intel Corp - think again!!!

Honest Joe Trying to Make A Living (Former Employee)
    Alameda, CA

ProsBeautiful campus, good pay and nice perks. There are some really wonderful engineers that I had the pleasure and privilege to collaborated with. Those particular engineers I will miss as they too believed in going the extra mile to get the job done on time, regardless of the hours we had to work.

ConsDishonest management (managers, directors, VPs etc.,). HR fails to investigate illegal behavior by employees against one another. Management encourages and rewards bad behavior. If you are a hardworking, honest and trustworthy individual, this place is not for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should all be replaced. The dishonest directors and managers should be replaced, and everyone retrained on how to be a professional and work in a professional environment.

STOP rewarding bad behavior.

A read a complaint online here from a female indicating not enough females get promoted. That simply is not true. The problem is that some females feel entitled to a promotion simply because they are female. The particular female who made the comment is not qualified for the VP level she seeks, however if she continues along her bad behavior path I am sure she will be rewarded accordingly.

Most Improved

Alameda, CA

ProsNew president is laser focused on making a positive impact/difference. Leadership team is aligned, company strategy is in place and the direction is clear. Huge opportunity for Wind River to be a $1B company - just need to continue making the right business decisions.

ConsVery few women executives. Difficult for women to advance given somewhat of a "fraternity/boys club" culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote, recruit, and recognize strong, professional, smart women.

Great Place to Work and Things Are Moving In the Right Direction

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Alameda, CA

ProsVelocity of company is changing and we are starting to win! New products are starting to sell and there is a very good vibe! Well run company

ConsStill need to remove the skeptics as they are sucking positive energy

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course and new execs hold people accountable

Worked for Wind River? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wind River reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wind River CEO Barry Mainz. All 47 reviews posted anonymously by Wind River employees.