Windsor Communities

Updated March 2, 2015
Updated March 2, 2015
3.5

CEO

Best company I've worked for .

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Windsor Communities full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay compared to a lot of property management companies. Management is interested in your career growth. Offers MIT program. Offers additional responsibilities outside of your everyday job, mostly in training and marketing. Cross training strongly encouraged. Career apparel program gives you money every year for work attire. Recognizes accomplishments at bi-annual awards rally. Manages mostly luxury communities.

Cons

Not located in suburban areas, only major cities, so may require long commute if you live in the suburbs. Frequently deal with difficult people.

Need to Increase Employee Pay

Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Windsor Communities

Pros

Great company who cares about their employees. They invest a lot of time into training and making sure you feel comfortable in your position. There are rallies where they recognize their employees.

Cons

You get commission on top of hourly pay so when it's good, it's great, but when it's bad it's awful. It's honestly embarrassing to talk about the hourly pa . I made more as an intern. This truly is the BEST management company around and they only hire the best, but they should pay us what we are worth. You are required to have a college degree, yet I can barely pay off my student loans with what I make. If it's slow, you basically get paid nothing to do paperwork and handle customer service issues. I think Windsor should stick with their hourly plus commission pay, but they need to get with the times and pay more per hour. Prices are rising, rents are increasing SO SHOULD OUR PAY!

C'mon Windsor, take care of your quality people if you want to keep them. Also, we should be able to wear patterned shirts in our wardrobe. Also, they make flats that look like heels and we should be allowed to wear what makes us comfortable.

Micromanagement and treats loyal employees terrible

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Windsor Communities

Pros

Communities are beautiful, training department is fantastic and the employees build strong bonds. There are company wide award events and web rallies. Commissions are good IF your property performs.

Cons

Micromanagement and regional team in Ca plays favorites. You are ONLY promoted if they like you not based on performance and hard work. Does not create good morale and it trickles down from the manager to leasing. Get ready to work 65+ hours a week as a salaried employee with NO comp time.

Get to know your onsite teams and take what they say to heart. If the same complaints are being heard throughout the Ca region and GOOD long term employees are leaving, listen to them. You have amazing, talented employees and with the right regional team, they will excel. That is not the case currently.

Decent job for someone right out of college

Current Employee - Marketing Representative
    Current Employee - Marketing Representative

I have been working at Windsor Communities full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Really fantastic coworkers, everyone is extremely nice and helpful
    -Clothing allowance
    -Good, transferable skills
    -Discount on an apartment, no fees or long-term lease
    -Good training program

Cons

-Working an inconsistent schedule, only one weekend off per month
    -VERY strict "career apparel" yes, they pay you to get clothes, but only because the guidelines are extremely strict.
    -Management doesn't follow the apparel rules, but expects you to uphold their very intense guidelines
    -Can barely afford the apartments even with the discount unless you get a roommate
    -They say there is a lot of room for growth within the company, but it takes a long time to move up and the openings are not plentiful
    -Getting yelled at by residents

If you put such high expectations on your employees, you should follow the rules as well.

The best company out there. Amazing culture!

I worked at Windsor Communities full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The properties are beautiful and well maintained. They do right by the residents. Honest and fair. Rents are high but justifiably so. The culture and pride set by leadership is felt at every level.

Cons

Sometimes upper management turns a blind eye to internal issues. This made it hard to work effectively at times.

Love this company and wish there were more like it. No suggestions at this time!

No room for growth, very little bonus potential, regional turns a blind eye to internal issues, LOTS of turnover

Former Employee - Marketing Representative

I worked at Windsor Communities full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Their training program is excellent. They set you up with a mentor and have you trained on the computer systems, policies and procedures, and of course the every day tasks of the job. The program is about 6 months and it helps a lot when you can go to someone if you have questions.

Cons

The biggest con is that if you have a problem with management your concerns will NOT be heard. I expressed concern to the regional manager about things that were happening on property that were inappropriate and not a single thing was done. They don't like to hear when something isn't going well. However, if an employee comes to you about an HR violation you should at least investigate the allegation. This created a hostile work environment where no questions could be asked and one dreaded going to work each day. Besides that, there is no room for growth. They hire recent college graduates for VERY cheap and work them like dogs with .50 cent raises (if your lucky) at the end of a year while also asking them to do all of the functions of an Assistant Manager because they're too cheap to pay someone to be the APM. Even if you're the top leaser of your property consistently, you won't be promoted. The bonus potential for new leases and your marketing/delinquency bonus is a joke. I didn't realize this until I was offered jobs at competing companies but they really do try to get by with as little of a payout as possible. Overall, leadership is weak. They do not care about serious issues that occur creating A LOT of turnover. We went through about 5-6 marketing representatives within a year because regional decided not to look at the main problem which happened to be the property manager being unprofessional and inappropriate despite complaints about that individual made directly to the regional director. Lastly, they don't pay you anything close to what they should for the work load they put on you and work you like a dog until you've had enough and quit. Then, they'll just hire the next recent college graduate for the same dirt cheap rate.

My advice to UPPER Management being Regional.... take a look at the turnover you've had at each of your properties. If there has been a significant amount of turnover, YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING WRONG. Your "star" managers are taking all the credit for work that their team does and creating a hostile work environment for the whole team. You would be getting a much higher review from me despite the extremely low pay if you actually listened to me when I voiced my concern and made an effort to make it better.

Best property management I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager

I have been working at Windsor Communities full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A company that cares about your success. Great pay, training and support from upper management. The company is like a family and very selective of whom they hire. This makes the workplace enjoyable. Everyone works together. Even the CEO is warm, caring and treats everyone equally. Great benefits and work environment. I plan on retiring with the company. That's how great it is.

Cons

Working weekends and advancement opportunities take a little longer than most companies. Worth the wait though.

Great first job

I worked at Windsor Communities full-time

Pros

Lots of training re: leasing as well as being a professional. Terrific first job. Lots of transferable skills. Mentor program for all new hires.

Cons

Some aspects of job can be difficult- increasing rents, tough tenants, etc. Unclear expectations of how to move up in organization.

Great company that cares!

Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Sandy, UT

I worked at Windsor Communities full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits and great bonuses! I feel
    Windsor treated you like family. They had awesome employees fun days.

Cons

MRI was an outdated system and not very user friendly. Other than that I had no cons with Windsor, it's a great company to work for!

Keep up the good work! I enjoyed my time with Windsor, I wish you never sold my property cause nobody compares to Windsor!

Windsor

Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Windsor Communities full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement, Great training program

Cons

Lack of communication, Big head syndrome