Windsor Communities

Updated January 4, 2015
Updated January 4, 2015
3.3

CEO

Best company I've worked for .

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Windsor Communities full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay compared to a lot of property management companies. Management is interested in your career growth. Offers MIT program. Offers additional responsibilities outside of your everyday job, mostly in training and marketing. Cross training strongly encouraged. Career apparel program gives you money every year for work attire. Recognizes accomplishments at bi-annual awards rally. Manages mostly luxury communities.

Cons

Not located in suburban areas, only major cities, so may require long commute if you live in the suburbs. Frequently deal with difficult people.

Decent job for someone right out of college

Current Employee - Marketing Representative
    Current Employee - Marketing Representative

I have been working at Windsor Communities full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Really fantastic coworkers, everyone is extremely nice and helpful
    -Clothing allowance
    -Good, transferable skills
    -Discount on an apartment, no fees or long-term lease
    -Good training program

Cons

-Working an inconsistent schedule, only one weekend off per month
    -VERY strict "career apparel" yes, they pay you to get clothes, but only because the guidelines are extremely strict.
    -Management doesn't follow the apparel rules, but expects you to uphold their very intense guidelines
    -Can barely afford the apartments even with the discount unless you get a roommate
    -They say there is a lot of room for growth within the company, but it takes a long time to move up and the openings are not plentiful
    -Getting yelled at by residents

If you put such high expectations on your employees, you should follow the rules as well.

No room for growth, very little bonus potential, regional turns a blind eye to internal issues, LOTS of turnover

Former Employee - Marketing Representative

I worked at Windsor Communities full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Their training program is excellent. They set you up with a mentor and have you trained on the computer systems, policies and procedures, and of course the every day tasks of the job. The program is about 6 months and it helps a lot when you can go to someone if you have questions.

Cons

The biggest con is that if you have a problem with management your concerns will NOT be heard. I expressed concern to the regional manager about things that were happening on property that were inappropriate and not a single thing was done. They don't like to hear when something isn't going well. However, if an employee comes to you about an HR violation you should at least investigate the allegation. This created a hostile work environment where no questions could be asked and one dreaded going to work each day. Besides that, there is no room for growth. They hire recent college graduates for VERY cheap and work them like dogs with .50 cent raises (if your lucky) at the end of a year while also asking them to do all of the functions of an Assistant Manager because they're too cheap to pay someone to be the APM. Even if you're the top leaser of your property consistently, you won't be promoted. The bonus potential for new leases and your marketing/delinquency bonus is a joke. I didn't realize this until I was offered jobs at competing companies but they really do try to get by with as little of a payout as possible. Overall, leadership is weak. They do not care about serious issues that occur creating A LOT of turnover. We went through about 5-6 marketing representatives within a year because regional decided not to look at the main problem which happened to be the property manager being unprofessional and inappropriate despite complaints about that individual made directly to the regional director. Lastly, they don't pay you anything close to what they should for the work load they put on you and work you like a dog until you've had enough and quit. Then, they'll just hire the next recent college graduate for the same dirt cheap rate.

My advice to UPPER Management being Regional.... take a look at the turnover you've had at each of your properties. If there has been a significant amount of turnover, YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING WRONG. Your "star" managers are taking all the credit for work that their team does and creating a hostile work environment for the whole team. You would be getting a much higher review from me despite the extremely low pay if you actually listened to me when I voiced my concern and made an effort to make it better.

The best company out there. Amazing culture!

I worked at Windsor Communities full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The properties are beautiful and well maintained. They do right by the residents. Honest and fair. Rents are high but justifiably so. The culture and pride set by leadership is felt at every level.

Cons

Sometimes upper management turns a blind eye to internal issues. This made it hard to work effectively at times.

Love this company and wish there were more like it. No suggestions at this time!

Best property management I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager

I have been working at Windsor Communities full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A company that cares about your success. Great pay, training and support from upper management. The company is like a family and very selective of whom they hire. This makes the workplace enjoyable. Everyone works together. Even the CEO is warm, caring and treats everyone equally. Great benefits and work environment. I plan on retiring with the company. That's how great it is.

Cons

Working weekends and advancement opportunities take a little longer than most companies. Worth the wait though.

Great company, just not in CA

Current Employee - Property Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Property Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Windsor Communities full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing onsite teams and moral! Support in MA is great and the properties are gorgeous! Great pay and benefits and the product sells itself. There is great connections with all the other managers and they are a phenomenal resource. You can love onsite and get a 20% discount on rent.

Cons

The regional team makes doing your job very difficult. There tends to be a lot of micromanagement and playing favorites. Employees don't get promotions or merit increase based on work ethic and performance yet it's based on favorites. Certain people are favored and it can drastically kill moral and doesn't make everyone feel,supported or valued. Family shouldn't manage family and can prove to be very difficult for the region you work in. Overall, unless you are well liked, you are not promoted. There are a lot of well deserving employees that get overlooked which is disappointing.

Reevaluate what's important and create the family feel the company had 5+ years ago. Your employees will thrive and in return performance and numbers will excel. Most employees leave due to their direct manager and if you have someone in those positions that motivates the team, you will see a drastic turnaround in that region. You have phenomenal people in Ca and under the right management you will be blown away with the results.

Great first job

I worked at Windsor Communities full-time

Pros

Lots of training re: leasing as well as being a professional. Terrific first job. Lots of transferable skills. Mentor program for all new hires.

Cons

Some aspects of job can be difficult- increasing rents, tough tenants, etc. Unclear expectations of how to move up in organization.

Great company that cares!

Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative in Sandy, UT

I worked at Windsor Communities full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits and great bonuses! I feel
    Windsor treated you like family. They had awesome employees fun days.

Cons

MRI was an outdated system and not very user friendly. Other than that I had no cons with Windsor, it's a great company to work for!

Keep up the good work! I enjoyed my time with Windsor, I wish you never sold my property cause nobody compares to Windsor!

Windsor

Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Windsor Communities full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement, Great training program

Cons

Lack of communication, Big head syndrome

Thanks to Windsor for many great years...love the support from Boston!!

I worked at Windsor Communities full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Support staff in Boston was amazing...

Cons

Direct Report showed a lot favoritism and did not take an interest at all in my career.

Care about all of your staff, inspire them to perform instead of ensuring that you are covering your.....