Windsor Fashions

Updated September 25, 2014
Updated September 25, 2014
2.9

Leon Zekaria

Pros
  • 40% discount on clothes and flexible with school (in 8 reviews)

• The employee discount was generous at 40%, including on sale items (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales goals are steep but attainable if you do your job (in 12 reviews)

• Three strike form when given write ups, make the same mistake more than twice and you're out (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company, Cute Clothes, Bad store management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA

I worked at Windsor Fashions part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-40% off clothing!!
    -Learn more about trends and styling
    -Learn visual work
    -Flexible schedule
    -Friendly customers, If satisfied

Cons

Where shall I begin. As a sales associates you are expected to do a lot!! fitting rooms, start rooms, get shoes, do go backs, cashier, grab a size. If a sensor is found the managers blame you for it and in their emails they write your name, yet they're also inside the store? (Pathetic) If you're in the fitting rooms (back) you're expected to be at 5 places at the same time while still opening rooms for customers and starting room and doing figure eights in the back BY YOURSELF, at time doing all of this is a struggle yet you still get in trouble if there is a customer waiting in line yet the manager asked you to be helping another customer at the same time..WHAT?!. You are supposed to black dot or gold dot in order to have job security, if you red dot you get written up (All based on your sales goals). In slow days the sale goals aren't met, and that just pours down on you. Managers steal sales BEWARE, Ive caught some and confronted them. Managers do take advantage of you!! At least in my store theres 5 managers and four sales associates (Weird ratio). Youre also expected to wear the current Windsor clothes. I was critized by what I was wearing just because it wasn’t from Windsor and was dressed too “basic”. Oh most importantly, you get paid minimum wage and do wayyyyy too much, atleast more than what you’re being paid for!!! Even if you get customers compliments to your managers your work goes unrecognized by the management. I can multitask, but honestly I cant be all over the store at the same time.

My advice to management is simple. HELP YOUR SALES ASSOCIATES! We notice that you leave all the GoBacks for us to do while you're just there behind the cash warp. Perhaps instead of doing such a horrible job at being a manager try to raise your work ethics and be a little more helpful instead of taking advantage of your position and coming off too strong when we see you doing nothing while we do everything. Instead of having just one person in the back and four in the front you guys should put two in the back!!! Have you guys ever wondered why so many people quit?! Im sure if you guys would at least offer to help with go backs or with whatever is needed the new employees would learn quicker and whatnot! Scheduling should also improve. I believe that Windsor should hire Managers who besides being great workers have great morals!! Most of these great workers are stuck as sales associates when they should be the ones who are managers.

Negative environment all around

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Irvine, CA

I worked at Windsor Fashions part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The employee discount was generous at 40%, including on sale items!

Our store manager was nice.

Cons

Excluding the store manager, the other managers were very unfriendly and unpleasant to even be around. Was teased by a manager at one point for something personal, I'm sure she thought she was just kidding around but honestly that wouldn't have even been cool with me had she been my friend.

The mall the store was in was extremely busy and the store was painfully understaffed for the amount of traffic it got. It was impossible to keep up with go-backs, the fitting room, the back third of the store, as well as bringing in and out different shoe sizes from the back. There was always a constant stream of people in every corner of your section that you had to keep track of, but unfortunately you can only keep your eye on so many places at once. If the store managed to find room in its budget to even bring just one more girl to help work the floor, then life at Windsor would have been way less chaotic!

There was no rhyme or reason as to how much your salary would be: despite being paid well above average at my past job I was paid less at Windsor than a new girl who hadn't worked at all before. (Of course we weren't allowed to talk about this at Windsor, we only found out on our own time after we left.)

The clear plastic bag rule was just a tad annoying, especially during that time of month when you don't feel like showing everyone you're carrying a tampon/pad in your purse. And yes, the managers make you open up every pouch and wallet within your plastic purse before you check out. But no way around that, and Windsor isn't the only store with this rule.

And finally: unless you totally LOVE top 40 pop, prepare to feel like tearing your ears out by the end of every shift. It's a small selection of songs blaring on repeat day in and day out, so make sure you really like that genre of music if you're thinking of working there. This wasn't something that came to mind when I first applied.

I stuck around way longer than I should have, I thought this was just the environment all retail jobs had! But since finding new jobs afterwards I realized being a sales associate didn't have to be this distressing at all- it was really just Windsor that sucked.

Love it!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cerritos, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cerritos, CA

I have been working at Windsor Fashions part-time (less than a year)

Pros

40% off! Who doesnt love clothes?!
    My whole closet is windsor :D They work with your school schuedule, very flexible. I Love my co-workers! You meet great people! i love the contests and theme days we have and have won windsor bucks & gift cards for a contest ,employee of the month & fortune 500's (-: idk why there are such bad reviews, my managers and assistant managers are great! They help with the cleaning when they are done with their jobs at registers, they are even potty queens more often than associates, they give tips, we help each other out on go backs, giving costumer opinions on outfits, etc. We are a small store and customers do ask why we downsized but we always think positive about our cute store (-: The company doesn't only hire size 3 kind of girls, I am a size L & got hired this year, i find it not so hard to gold star as an associate & have not once red dot since my 90 day period has been over. Looking foward to moving up in the company!

Cons

Nothing much to right here to be honest, but i must write 20 words or Im not able to submit my review lol i hope this helps (-:

Keep it up ! (-:

Great first job for retail

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Northridge, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Northridge, CA

I have been working at Windsor Fashions part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The discount is great! 40% off. Since it is not a big company they actually care about you! It is a good place to learn how to work in retail if you never have.

Cons

Goals on some occasions can be difficult to make.

It's been a challenge but if your motivated and dedicated you'll have successful days at Windsor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redondo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at Windsor Fashions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I honestly believe if you can work at Windsor you can work anywhere. Corporate visits keep you on your toes. We've expanded our minds to new merchandise and new visual set up which is exciting and fun. Were small compared to H&M and Forever 21 but we have everything they have minus the mess =)

Cons

Not everyone appreciates the hard work that is done daily. If your discouraged easily this will weigh heavily, if your not you'll take it as another challenge and step up your work method.

Sales Directing is key if you want a successful day, shrink below 1% and sales increase. Listen to associate feedback their voice matters.

Underpaid & Overwhelmed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canoga Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canoga Park, CA

I have been working at Windsor Fashions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company has a great vision, the marketing department has gone a long way improving the way we brand ourselves and the website is awesome!

Cons

The company has a great vision but unfortunately they don't value what drives the company to be successful and that's their employees. The pay is not competitive at all, we are underpaid and yet we are expected to work like slaves and even clean the floors and mirror, bathrooms and so forth. Our DM's still find something wrong with everything that we do, maybe they should hire a cleaning crew like other stores. We can't do everything but the company thinks we can! Also we don't get bonuses or perks they have taken those away from us, that's not fair at all. The most the company gives to us are $5 or $10 Windsor bucks here and there what a great way to show your appreciation. As managers we should be treated like we deserve to, no wonder the company has a huge turnover. The owner needs to realize that in order to keep us happy they should treat us better and compensate us as we deserve.