Windstream

Updated December 16, 2014
2.6

Windstream President & CEO Jeffery R Gardner
Jeffery R Gardner

Pros
  • Pay is decent if you can sell something (in 13 reviews)

• Good pay (for sales people who can make quota) and great benefits (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible training, provisioning, customer service and the systems are a nightmare (in 15 reviews)

• No communication from Upper Management to CEO, CFO (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

35 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Brad Streetman - Data Analytics / Informatics / Information Specalist / eSports

Current Employee - Network Analyst I in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Network Analyst I in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent place to learn where to start your career. Able to troubleshoot older equipment, time to learn new skills

Cons

Having to troubleshoot older equipment without support from vendors/documentation. Lack of advancement opportunities.

Great in the past, but has lost its way

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent compensation, good work/life balance depending on your position. Health insurance is decent compared to what is out there.

Cons

No opportunities for advancement for managers. Aside from a token front line manager here and there, ALL network/engineering management positions are filled by external candidates.
    Gradual reduction in the perqs over the years. For example, 401k match used to be paid on each paycheck in cash. Then it was once per year, then later in the following year, now it's been reduced to being paid in company stock the following spring. Same thing with mgmt bonuses.
    Has done a poor job integrating the myriad of acquisitions. While in many cases the teams have been integrated, the systems and processes have not, so employees have to switch between many systems and keep track of many one-off processes.
    Odd cycle of laying off 1-3% of workforce periodically based on impressing Wall St that quarter, then hiring at least that many back soon afterward, only to do it again the next time revenues are short. I don't see successful firms like VZ doing that kind of stuff.
    As everywhere, bosses are hit or miss.
    IT could do a whole lot more to improve our efficiency and quality.

Integrate the acquired firms. We need one trouble ticketing system, one order flow system, one records system, etc., not four of each.
    Concerned that Win isn't going to be a going concern long-term. We seem to be in the death-spiral of 1) sales can't hit revenue targets because the network is crappy, so 2) we reduce staff in the engineering/network organizations to save money, so 3) the network gets crappier, so 4) sales continue to decline.
    Take a look at your internal talent rather than strictly hiring externally.
    We seem to be chasing what's sexy, rather than being good at blocking and tackling. Will the millions spent on the LR data center really ever see a meaningful ROI?

Nightmare

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers- good group of people

Cons

No training, sink or swim; no upper management presence or leadership; no office supplies - this is the first time I had to buy my own; that is how cheap this company is.

Short-term thinking may work for a while, however in the long run you'll lose your organic customers and be left with nothing.

Overall Okay

Current Employee - Financial Analyst II in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst II in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream full-time

Pros

The people you work for are great and honest people.

Cons

Hard work sometimes goes unnoticed. People with little to no experience are promoted quickly to senior or management positions while employees with more industry knowledge are passed by quite often. Negotiate a higher salary upfront because raises are not great.

I was proud to work there...when it was Alltel.

Former Employee - Network Analyst III in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Network Analyst III in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great raises and incentives for promotion. I worked hard and received 5-10% raise every year for 5 years until the recession hit. The internal systems and records-keeping were very accurate and efficient. Internet data outages were kept to minimum downtime by efficient troubleshooting, isolation, and dispatching of outside plant technicians when necessary. We had excellent training and well outlined operating procedures so everyone in the broadband technical assistance center/complex data services knew what to do and where to find detailed technical information in order to resolve customer troubles quickly.

Cons

The company was trying to grow too quickly and purchased several other companies in 2009-2010. This caused suffering for the customers who experienced degraded quality of service during the rushed transition process while Windstream took over operation and maintenance of the other companies' data networks and integrated their databases.

Put your profits and efforts into upgrading the network you have rather than trying to grow before taking care of your existing customers. If you build a better network, people will praise your service. It's a big initial investment but you have to plan for the long term, not the immediate stock prices. Don't think that because you are in management means that you are smarter than your employees. You can still learn a lot from them.

Great company! Culture is getting better day by day. Fun atmosphere.

Current Employee - Analyst II in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Analyst II in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are the best I've worked with at any company. There is a huge focus on culture and it's starting to stick. Great leadership. Very challenging but rewarding environment.

Cons

Processes and systems could be better.

Keep the fun place to work stuff going!

Don't do it!

Former Employee - Network Analyst I in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Network Analyst I in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I honestly can't think of a single thing.

Cons

The culture at Windstream is one that lacks teamwork and is overflowing with pride. Each team blames ever other team for everything. No one wants to take responsibility or initiative to get the job done. Pay is way below competition. I went to another company in the same city and got a 60% raise.

Windstream is a sinking ship. Too late to take advice.

I would recommend company to other peers.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, good compensation and flexible working hours

Cons

Instability of company as whole, hard to move into other career advancements within the company

Include employees on big changes within the company. Dont let your employees find out the changes within their company from 3rd parties

loved it

Former Employee - Specialist I: Enterprise Data/Voice Technician in Harrison, AR

I worked at Windstream (more than 10 years)

Pros

room to grow/ good relations with co-workers

Cons

life /work balance non exisitant. hard to get off work when needed for emergency or sickness

listen to your group more/ allow for more trust. Your group you are leading . don't trust you. .

Depending on where you are, there is little room for advancement unless you fit in socially with your supervisors.

Former Employee - Clerk II in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Clerk II in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My coworkers were very enjoyable. Benefits were ok. Other than that I can't think of any.

Cons

Again unless you fit in socially forget advancement, you'll be stuck there until you find yourself caught up in another round of their periodic layoffs. Those that don't fit in socially with their immediate supervisors are the first to go.

Hmm, for someone to fit in, it has to go both ways. I can try as hard as I can but tolerance is not the same as acceptance.