Windstream

Windstream Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
Windstream – “Windstream”

Heath Davies

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, great commissions, love the team, flexible environment"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Good pay (for sales people who can make quota) and great benefits"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Expected to sell to angry customers who are reporting customer service issues"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Then one day, Upper Management changed, and that was all she wrote"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company but not for the faint of heart

Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsOverall I think the positives outweigh the negatives with this company because I have noticed that I have had nothing but a positive experience. Yet I know that others feel differently. If you like to be screamed at by customers, like to be monitored by coach monitors, and are a problem solver then this company is the place for you. There are reviews that state about the big brother scenario, but I sort of like that. It keeps us on our toes and makes sure that we are giving a positive customer experience. This is why a lot of people do not last is the consistent fear of being let go. You get grades on your quality score and if you score a seventy and above you are okay but below that is not a good score. My dear people, if you get one bad score it is not the end of the world but if it remains a continuous thing then expect a new job search. It allows you to strive for perfection, and those who are consistent are rewarded.
    They also have peaks challenges and for every challenge you complete you get a flag and a hundred dollars. The flags are fun to get, but to do them it takes a lot of overtime and your ability to come early or to stay late. These include presentations and papers. The more you get the more notoriety that you receive from upper management. Peaks plus great quality equal respect by upper management. You get what you put in and both of these things will give you job security. The commission structure has changed and it is now easier to ascertain it. Also, you can keep your job because people continuously leave and the fact they are always hiring. I love my team and overall I have had a great experience.

ConsPeople state that attendance is difficult, but it is fair. If you have kids and a family who consistently need you then you will have trouble keeping a job. If you are married the same attendance is given to you than those who are not. You get eight days during the year and after that you are let go. I have seen that and most of the time that is why people are let go. Longevity does not matter, you must come in on time. I am single and don't have kids so it is okay with me. I like the fairness.There are other reasons to get fired and quality is the second. If you get three zeros then bye. The zeros are if you do not verify the account. I have been there for seven months and have never gotten a zero. They are very hard to get. The same rule applies to new people. They used to have the ninety day rule but that has changed. Some managers are more lenient than others. My friend got fired for four zeros for non verification. Her manager was overly nice about that. She gave her an opportunity and she failed. She looked at the rest of the people in our new hire training class and then made her decision. There is a problem with security and with that being said if you do your job you will not get fired. They always hire and their philosophy is that for every senior person that gets fired then three more will be hired. The empty desks always baffle me because I truly like this place. They have a training class every two months. Also, out of the nineteen people in my class only six are left. Four people recently will leave upon the completion of this weekend. That means two will remain; a friend and myself. We like our managers and our position.

Advice to Senior ManagementNa

Started out great but went downhill fast

Associate Network Analyst (Former Employee)
    Little Rock, AR

ProsPay was decent and co-workers were fun to work with.

ConsManagement in BTAC had no clue what they were doing. They shipped jobs over to India, India didn't half do the work, and customers are still suffering with poor service. I felt like management didn't care about me as an employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some of the billions in revenue you bring in each year to upgrade the network. Otherwise, people will keep leaving and going to other ISPs and Windstream will cease to exist as a company. And you actually might try caring about your employees rather than just looking for the next person to take their place when they leave.

Disappointing - Lacks vision, mission and everything between

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Little Rock, AR

Pros- Nothing ever changes...you can fly under the radar forever.
    - Salary is average (at par or slightly below) compared to industry
    - State of the art transport network

Cons- Senior management detached from ground realities
    - Recent Opex reductions were made without any regard for business impact
    - Too Many non revenue generating projects in the pipeline that is taking valuable time away from 'real' work
    - Understaffed
    - All recent HR initiatives to boost morale and ownership culture have completely failed. Some of the HR folk I have encountered are the most rude
    - Aggressively moving away from standards to a 'wild west' attitude
    - Responsibilities are given to individuals rather than teams

Advice to Senior Management- Read cons above!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

ERA (Enterprise Repair Answer) Specialist (Current Employee)
    Harrison, AR

ProsGood pay for the area and ability to speak with immediate management a plus.

ConsPromotion within the company is based on perception and not reality much of the time. Some promotion into management are based on connections and who you know and advancement is not always to the best candidate. There are multiple departments within Windstream that work independent of other department and are not on the same page. Sometimes trying to get tasks done is very difficult. Policy's differ also from each department even though all departments work under the Windstream logo. The company is struggling to transform itself from a Legacy phone company to a Data Enterprise and ISP service. The transformation is not easy and change happens all the time. Moving from desk to desk is not uncommon and movement from one building to another is also not uncommon. Current employees are on edge not knowing if there going to be the next department to be downsized. I have worked for this company for many years before my department was downsized and have seen a lot of changes. Some not so ethical and some very good. Some jobs are going oversees to help bolster the company's bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat will make Windstream successful is its people with knowledge and experience and people who care about the customer and not about the numbers. The numbers will come if employees are enabled to help customers resolve problems and make valent efforts to retain its customer base. Gaining new customers is always great if Windstream first looks at ways to maintain its current customer base. Windstream needs to be more innovative looking and investing in new ideas and technologies to stand out in the market place and not always be a laggard.

Good pay but policies and procedures are allover the place with a high turnover.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsCommission structure is great if you hit quota

ConsQuota is often higher than it should have been, due to misrepresentation of revenue

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive Management should be more involved in policies and procedures.

Never a Happy Medium...

ProsWhen I started here in 2008, It was pretty great. The morale was up, the "magnys" (commission) was both easily attainable and worth the headache of dealing with irate customers all day..

ConsThen one day, Upper Management changed, and that was all she wrote. What used to be a fairly managed unit turned into a MICRO-managed Jail! If you found yourself on a call for more than five minutes doing everything you can to help the customer, Here comes an IM "You Okay?" followed by an email telling you to "watch your hold/wrap." They drive "Quality" when it comes to dealing with the customers, yet don't really show "quality" to the reps..

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, For the love of GOD, and his son JESUS CHRIST...Stop making us squeeze blood out of a turnip and FIX THE INTERNET!

Windstream

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros"Enjoyed the experience and working with/for many talented people during my 31+ years".

ConsWould have preferred being offered another opportunity within the company instead of my position, along with 400 others, being eliminated.

Good Luck..................

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Little Rock, AR

ProsCompetitive salary and good benefits

ConsDedicated employees are passed over for advancement if they are not in the loop or know someone.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote on experience/education, and not the buddy system or brown nosing.

People were nice and some people were helpful.

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsIt has a pretty good salary and commission structure. They also give you a car allowance.

ConsIt requires a lot of marketing and you need to be interested in IT.

Great company moving in the right direction; diamond in the rough

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood benefits, great commissions, love the team, flexible environment. The executive leadership changes, process improvements, and much more should show positive impact in the future

ConsLack of marketing until recent, not many people know about Windstream, couple of rough years gave a bad taste to some

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep developing marketing strategies to get our name out there.

Worked for Windstream? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Windstream reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Windstream CEO Heath Davies . All 219 reviews posted anonymously by Windstream employees.