Windstream

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Heath Davies

Pros:
  • "The pay is good, and I enjoy my job most of the time, I mean hardly anyone likes their job every single day"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Windstream offers great benefits to it's employees"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Expected to sell to angry customers who are reporting customer service issues"
    in 8 reviews
  • "No where to move up unless you are friends with upper management, hard work does not pay off"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The stress and instability just aren't worth it.

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCo-workers are nice and just as miserable as myself. We have a close bond because of the sad, ridiculous things we all go through here.

ConsUnobtainable quota. Trickle down micro-management (from Senior level). A constant decrease in commissionable products / services. A constant increase in workload because of job / budget cuts. A constant decrease in ancillary reimbursements (no more cell phones, gas reimbursement now maxed at certain amount, company travel / expenses now must be pre-approved and rarely are, etc). Back office support now non-existent (eliminated office / sales coordinators & secretaries). The list goes on and on. As a very succsesful sales professional, this is by far the hardest company I've ever worked for to be successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management / C Level: Please cut the dividend. It's very obvious to everyone on the ground level that we're paying the price to maintain our dividend. Cutting our commissions, eliminating bonuses, support jobs and sales tools only drives away good sales talent. We all know that management is cutting corners everywhere they can to maintain free cash flow but at some point we need to realize that it's hurting the company from an operational standpoint. Our customer service is now horrible, our good sales people have left for more lucrative opportunities, our local sales management are now nothing more than sacrifical lambs because of unrealistic quotas. It's time to save face, cut the dividend to free up cash flow and reinvest it in our people and network. Stop putting everyone through hell just to pay a buck every year on the stock. Start making working here fun again.

Security Engineer

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Stable company
- Competitive benefits

ConsPoor inter department cooperation.
Silo'd teams
Bureaucratic

Great place to work

Analyst (Current Employee)
Rochester, NY

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpportunities abound in this up and coming company

ConsWould like to see the stock price coming up

Advice to Senior ManagementStay nimble and competitive

Not a bad place to grow, once you leave the call center; but you will have to work hard at carving your career path.

Maitland, FL

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBecause of its size, there are great opportunities in many different areas. Entry level positions are a good launching pad. Products are evolving for the better, and recent organizational changes seem promising.

ConsTraining is not balanced among different organizations. Because of so many recent acquisitions, its network and people are divided. Some teams are great to work with, some others are impossible. Job opportunities are not always location friendly.

Advice to Senior ManagementDitch the micromanagement aura, and embrace a more technically skilled audience. Nature better career development, with a focus on atmosphere, and people will be happy to stay.

This Company is a Joke!

Business Account Manager (Former Employee)
Hiawatha, IA

I worked at Windstream full-time for less than a year

ProsAs a business account manager the bonus pay was awesome!

ConsThis company totally lacks any empathy or compassion for its employees, the department I worked for eliminated and they told us exactly 12 days before Christmas that we would be without a job. There where no heads up or no warning signs. Some people had already put in over 10 years with the company, but still was terminated. Then the company advised to apply for open positions within the company....really? Why eliminate a whole department then advise those jobless employees to apply for other open positions. If the whole department was being dismantled why not place those employees in the open positions that they are most qualified for instead of forcing them to apply and compete with outside competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to training because you all are terrible at it.....even the director!

Worst company ever!!!

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat co-workers, pay, learned a lot about telecommunications & technology, benefits ok

ConsVery little internal communication within the company & with management, outdated systems, dishonesty in customer service (selling high speed internet to senior citizens in nursing homes), jobs being outsourced to India - people with 30-40 years seniority being let go, inconsistent order process - no consistency. Company more focused on sales than customer service

Advice to Senior ManagementTry focusing on people in the United States rather than trying to save a buck or two by outsourcing. Maybe sit down with AT&T & learn something about running a phone company

Wonderful place to work

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Providence, RI

I have been working at Windstream full-time for less than a year

ProsExcellent team to work with, lots of support from others in the office
Good work / life balance
Motivation from management to set everyone up for success
Salary / compensation is fair by industry standards
Opportunities to advance quickly within the organization based on hard work
Confident knowing that we have a solid network with unmatched customer service

ConsThe CRM (Soon this will be fixed, though! Excited for the update)
Difficulties in transitioning are still being felt from last year's acquisition of PAETEC

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery office is managed differently, so I can only speak for our office but I will say that so far it is clear that we have tenured, motivational leaders to encourage success. The cons are fixable and are not to be taken as harsh criticisms, simply being realistic and this is how everyone seems to feel. There is a very customer-centric group mentality which is key to profitability, so as a sales person this is very relieving. Overall, my advice is to simply continue investing in your employees now that you are (seemingly) finished with major acquisitions for a while. Transitions from an acquisition can be difficult to manage, especially across a company of over 15,000 employees; that being said, I recognize the fact that you are actually doing a terrific job. Keep it up.

WINDSTREAM IS AN OUTSTANDING COMPANY

ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE III (Current Employee)
Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Windstream full-time for less than a year

ProsOutstanding management, good salary, good compensation plan, great product offerings, very competitive pricing, NNI, Equipement for Service offering that no other telecom company offers

ConsNo immediate vacation or PTO when you starting with company - benefits not available until after 90 days of employment

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Stressful and draining job

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Cornelia, GA

I worked at Windstream full-time for more than a year

ProsOpportunity to make extra money when you make commission and the chance to work with and create some good friendships with co workers. Windstream offers campaigns at work to win things like tvs and internet tablets and money....but money and things cant replace your sanity.

ConsSales expectations makes job high stress. All calls are monitored by a group of other employees and pretty much every word out of your mouth is dictated. You are expected to say everything a certain way or you get a low score. Its like being in prison. You cant be who you want to be or say anything you want to say without getting in truoble for not doing it right. Also schedules change constantly...you may work an early shift for months then work the closing shift for months and you never know when it will change. No way to have a life or family life when you never know what your shift will be and as soon as you get accustomed to one shift and your family life settles into it they will change it on you.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop requiring reps to sell services and products customers don't really need to just look like you are meeting a quota. Upgrade equipment in your service areas to accomodate customers who need better and faster internet. Work with your employees and have more compassion for them...they have families at home and circumstances going on that needs consideration sometimes. Lack of communication in many areas and alot of contradicting going on between the mgt, supervisors and reps. They tell you to talk to the customers and find out what they really need as far as services and products but then tell you how many minutes you can be on each call. Alot needs to change or the one that will always remain the same at Windstream in the turnover rate..which is outrageous.

What they want you to do and what they tell you to do are not the same.

Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee)
Cornelia, GA

I worked at Windstream full-time for more than a year

ProsI loved my co-workers when we were able to have meetings.
I liked the Management directly above me, they are willing to help you where they can.
The Pay was decent and I received excellent initial training.

ConsThere is a break in communication between the lower management and corporate leadership. The higher ups seem to have no idea what it is really like interacting with the customers but they make the rules and goals for call time etc. As a Customer service representative the main focus of the job is not to take care of the customer but to sell the customer additional products that they may or may not need, especially additional Phone land lines and "bundle adders" (e.g. virus protection etc). The sales goals are very high and the pressure is extreme. Making the job more difficult is the fact that equipment is not upgraded like it should be for a company that brands itself as high tech and there are constant supply chain issues for repairs and upgrades. If a customer is calling in to complain that their broadband service isn't working, it is difficult to convince them to buy additional products from you. Additionally for several months there was mandatory overtime every day of the week and it was next to impossible to get scheduled time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management seems to think that the big problems in the marketplace are branding issues. Unfortunately, available technologies have surpassed what Windstream is able to provide even in an ideal situation, which is rarely the case. As a case in point, The company spent Millions in marketing on their Merge Campaign which was designed to compete in the marketplace with products like Comcast's xfinity and AT&T's Uverse. There was no new product, it was still ADSL2+ that had just been re-branded to add a Roku device. However, the campaign was abandoned less than 9 months later when numerous issues, including a lack of training for the sales team, and extreme confusion on the part of the customer base arose. There was no planning or follow through on a flimsy premise at best.

In short, my advice is 1) spend more money on fixing the system in place because good word of mouth is be best advertising you can buy. 2) Split your Sales team and Customer service teams up. No one wants to call in to report an issue with a bill discrepancy and have someone try and sell them something 3)please abandon the idea that all of your customers want Land Lines and stop forcing it on them. Most of your customers only want DSL anymore and even your prices for that are really high.

Worked for Windstream? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Windstream reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Windstream CEO Heath Davies . All 121 reviews posted anonymously by Windstream employees.