Windstream

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Heath Davies

Pros:
  • "The pay is good, and I enjoy my job most of the time, I mean hardly anyone likes their job every single day"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Windstream offers great benefits to it's employees"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Expected to sell to angry customers who are reporting customer service issues"
    in 8 reviews
  • "No where to move up unless you are friends with upper management, hard work does not pay off"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Hard working people with stale management techniques

Solutions Architect (Former Employee)
Hudson, OH

I worked at Windstream full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent people throughout. Most are respectable, hard-working, truly caring people who will go the extra mile for the customer and coworkers. Fair compensation. Decent attempts to move the company culture forward.

ConsHealthcare benefit costs are relatively high. Some upper managers prefer bullying over managing. Work-like balance can be challenging. Blame game is played often. Processes not well managed if they even exist hampered even more by too much thinking in silos. Too much flying by the seat of the pants and not enough real planning and strategizing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart focusing more on the "how do we get there." Document and manage processes fully, particularly in IT. Get some new blood in your ranks as there is far too much same old same old and not enough true thought leadership. Stop the blame game and bullying tactics. Get a real BPM solution in place.

Contract worker

I have been working at Windstream as a contractor for less than a year

ProsRelaxed environment to work in

ConsIf contract paying for parking everyday gets taxing.

Love the people and management! Its corporate america so its only for those that like the hustle!

General (Current Employee)
Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than a year

ProsCo-workers, company culture is very open and people powered, can occassionally work from home, business casual dress code, feel valued and appreciated,

Consworkload goes in peaks and valleys, but again its corporate America and you have to show why you deserve top salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementDirect management does a great job. VP and SVP's should micromanage less

Awesome People

Recruiting Assistant (Current Employee)
Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream as an intern for less than a year

ProsThere has never been a time during my tenure at WIN that I've needed help and no one jumped up to assist. The team that I am part of prides itself on open communication and true comradery, and members of the team certainly walk the walk in that regard. It certainly helps with the bandwidth issue mentioned in the Cons section.

ConsWIN is very lean - which means that bandwidth per employee can, at times, be stretched to the limit. This can hinder work-life balance, which is a top priority for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith regard to overall leadership - A+. My direct supervisor is an all-star - the door is always open, this individual is very approachable, and handles conflict without flinching. With regard to the work-life balance, it's a struggle for the team's manager, as well. There's not much to be done. If the headcount isn't there, it isn't there.

DO NOT work there

Tier I Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee)
Hazelwood, MO

I worked at Windstream as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood way to understand networking (IP Address, VPN, etc.)

ConsThis should not be a "call-center, production-based" job. IT Help Desk should be based on the amount of helping others resolve their IT problems, not trying to get them off the phone in the quickest time possible. This position should not be within a 24/7 environment because there wasn't enough Tier 2 support overnight

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more Tier 2 support for those that are working overnight OR not have an overnight shift at all. This should not be a production based job because it takes away the REAL support that IT Help Desk should offer

Blessed to have a job.

Small Business Consultant (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Windstream full-time for less than a year

ProsTeam atmosphere is wonderful, supervisors really interact with their team.

ConsThe job description has increased but the base pay hasn't. The composition plan is implemented to change for next month on paper it sounds good.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally evaluate the plan and how it benefits the employee not themselves.

A place to learn how not to run a telcom

Business Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Walnut, CA

I have been working at Windstream full-time

ProsFree parking, near good dining options, and there are some colorful characters that make life interesting.

ConsImplementation is pretty much up to the sales person to manage. There is zero accountability from service delivery to keep the order process moving. Local management is an HR nightmare. There are no referencable local customers. Not much in the way of local network assets and turnover is legendary.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the tech capital of the planet you cannot install a 100 meg circuit without putting a customer through hell on earth...why not hire some people to help with install?

Gained experience and established good, long lasting relationships

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Windstream full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEnjoyed the people I worked with

ConsOne word: FLA. If you are beginning a second career at Windstream and did not have the opportunity to become a FUTURE LEADER OF ACCOUNTING straight out of college; then this job is not for you. Windstream promotes based on this club membership and not knowlegde, experience or ability to lead. The reason on why this ship is sinking is b/c it is run by kids.

Advice to Senior ManagementAbolish the FLA program, cut the unstainable dividend payout instead of jobs

Windstream is life, the rest just details!

Care (Current Employee)

I have been working at Windstream full-time for less than a year

ProsI love this place and it has become like a second home to me. I don't dread on going to work and my team is more of a family. There is no gossip or drama which I love and when you give respect you truly get it. Love the managers and the company. Also, I will not lie but I am not the best sales person but my managers like my customer service skills and personality towards customers. I make, at times, my goals but there are months when my sales aren't good. I have never been threatened of being fired. The only ones I have ever seen get fired were those who cannot show up to work on time. They do a point system thus making the day you were absent would equal a point. You get eight a year which is plenty, on top of your sick and vacation time. If you are on time everyday for a quarter you win one back. Also, you get a hundred bucks and a quarter day off. I went from a job where I was bullied and ridiculed to a great company. I love my job.

ConsI believe the biggest complaint is the commission structure. I was in finance before this and was laid off so the idea of commission is wonderful as I made it being a FA assistant. I made commission on everything I sold despite the number. What I don't like about the commission structure with windstream is that there are a certain amount of items you need to receive in a bucket before commission based on sales is given. Last month I sold three hundred dollars worth of merchandise. We were supposed to have two broad bands which I got and zero dish. The limit was two thus meaning that I received no commission on the sales made. I am not used to the quota sales environment. In training they seem to win you on how much money you make in sales but it is impossible to get it unless you can sweet talk people into it. If people are already angry they will not buy anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the commission structure. Gives us it on the sales rather than making us average it out in a bucket. You make us impossible on getting it!

No room for growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Maitland, FL

I worked at Windstream full-time

ProsDecent pay for the work

ConsNo room to grow. In general there are only lateral moves to be made there.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, don't just hear them.

Worked for Windstream? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Windstream reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Windstream CEO Heath Davies . All 121 reviews posted anonymously by Windstream employees.