Windstream

Updated November 25, 2014
2.7

Windstream President & CEO Jeffery R Gardner
Jeffery R Gardner

Pros
  • Pay is decent if you can sell something (in 12 reviews)

• Good pay (for sales people who can make quota) and great benefits (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible training, provisioning, customer service and the systems are a nightmare (in 15 reviews)

• No communication from Upper Management to CEO, CFO (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Multiple service outages made it difficult to represent the company as having a solid product

Former Employee - Account Manager II in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Account Manager II in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Windstream full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had flexibility in my day an was encouraged to go to entertain customers on corporate card. Windstream had suites at Ford Field and other major arenas. They had a wide variety of business solutions for customers.

Cons

We had a major outage, nearly once a month. Turning a customer up would involve a much longer time than necessary. Since Windstream purchased many other telecom companies, none of them seem to talk to each other. Entering a new order is very cumbersome. I had one coaching while working there. My boss was nice, but really didn't seem to take an interest in my development. Lost job because of corporate cutbacks.

Invest in infrastructure here in Michigan. Be there for employee's concerns.

I got laid off at Windstream today as part of 350 jobs cut.

Former Employee - Account Manager II in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager II in Orlando, FL

I worked at Windstream full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I now have the skills and knowledge to work at any Telecom Carrier in the US. Also, higher salaried positions I could see the integrity in those people. Intelligent and friendly.

Cons

Honestly, I think accepted the wrong job offer. The Account Management role I accepted, well the compensation is poor. Benefits are also poor. I was fully trained by Windstream after six months and a week later, laid-off.

I was impressed with senior leadership, very impressed. However from Director level down needs a second look if the company is going to survive.

It's a job...

Current Employee - Network Technician II
    Current Employee - Network Technician II

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are given the right management structure, you will learn more about your job, in a shorter time, than you ever thought possible.

Cons

Kind of a sink or sink attitude. Lots of "I don't do that" or "someone else does that" responses. There is a lack of care about the customers and that is why they leave to other carriers. The company failed to understand what they got into when they made their acquisitions two years ago. They bit off more than they could chew, IMO.

Just because you preach a culture, doesn't mean that anyone believes it. I enjoy being in a company where I feel that I can make a difference. Help that one more person. The cultural idea is good, don't get me wrong, but the vast majority of the people don't believe it. And if they don't believe it, they won't follow it.

an anonymous review for Windstream

Current Employee - Network Technician II in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Network Technician II in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Windstream full-time

Pros

Central Florida location is a plus.

Cons

Pay scale is below the Industry standard.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Tier I Technician in Fairport, NY
    Former Employee - Tier I Technician in Fairport, NY

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than an year)

Pros

decent benefits, incentives, close nit department. I was with Windstream for Over 1 year, although it was challenging at times, everyone had your back and helped lift you up. Windstream is employee engaged and does their best to help everyone they can. Alex Levi - is such a pleasure to work for!

Cons

Although I found Windstream to have a positive atmosphere, management tends to gossip about former employees as well as some current employees, when they should not be.

be conscious of the negative affect it could have on your employees when gossiping about them in the work place where it is easily heard. Other than that, keep up the great work!

good benefits, room to grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, above-average pay. Plenty of room to grow in this large organization. Managers were almost always very knowledgeable about the functions performed by their teams, and were often their own department SMEs.

Cons

Since the bureaucracy is so large getting things done can require a 10-20 people on a series of conference calls. This leads to a lot of time spent idle on call after call.

Take the time to make incorporation of acquired an company's data a higher priority. Deadlines seemed to be a much larger driver than accuracy.

I am a person who succeeds in any role!

Former Employee - N/A in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - N/A in Greenville, SC

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay. Team mates are great to work with!

Cons

The company should screen their management selection a lot more thorough than they have currently. Communication among departments - horrible. Work/Home Balance - hardly the case!

Get Educated!

Good Culture, Questionable Leadership

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work-from-home and flexible hours, middle management available and engaged

Cons

Hasty Reorganizations, talented staff laid off

Great in the past, but has lost its way

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent compensation, good work/life balance depending on your position. Health insurance is decent compared to what is out there.

Cons

No opportunities for advancement for managers. Aside from a token front line manager here and there, ALL network/engineering management positions are filled by external candidates.
    Gradual reduction in the perqs over the years. For example, 401k match used to be paid on each paycheck in cash. Then it was once per year, then later in the following year, now it's been reduced to being paid in company stock the following spring. Same thing with mgmt bonuses.
    Has done a poor job integrating the myriad of acquisitions. While in many cases the teams have been integrated, the systems and processes have not, so employees have to switch between many systems and keep track of many one-off processes.
    Odd cycle of laying off 1-3% of workforce periodically based on impressing Wall St that quarter, then hiring at least that many back soon afterward, only to do it again the next time revenues are short. I don't see successful firms like VZ doing that kind of stuff.
    As everywhere, bosses are hit or miss.
    IT could do a whole lot more to improve our efficiency and quality.

Integrate the acquired firms. We need one trouble ticketing system, one order flow system, one records system, etc., not four of each.
    Concerned that Win isn't going to be a going concern long-term. We seem to be in the death-spiral of 1) sales can't hit revenue targets because the network is crappy, so 2) we reduce staff in the engineering/network organizations to save money, so 3) the network gets crappier, so 4) sales continue to decline.
    Take a look at your internal talent rather than strictly hiring externally.
    We seem to be chasing what's sexy, rather than being good at blocking and tackling. Will the millions spent on the LR data center really ever see a meaningful ROI?

Good company, decent pay, poor management

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

Decent pay for the level of experience required. Coworkers are fun people to work with. The Windstream Culture is a good idea, if only the local managers would try following it.

Cons

High pressure atmosphere. BTAC Job is essentially a call center for customers and field techs to call in. Managers are lacking in real leadership skills. Management prefers fast paced quantity of work over quality. Work shifts are rebid every 90 days and based on a changing measurement of quality, productivity and attendance. The dept is 24/7, so many of the shifts are quite bad, like 3pm - midnight Tuesday thru Saturday, or 1pm-midnight Friday thru Monday. Taking sick time is severely punished: lowered annual raises, no chance for promotion and lower placement on the shift bid list if sick time is used. Work overhead keeps increasing with new required tasks added to each call almost every month, but call quantity expectations remain the same. This info is per the BTAC department, not across the entire company. Rumors are that other depts are much better managed.

Learn what the word Leadership means. A Manager pushes people to get the work done. A Leader inspires them to want to work harder, develop new ideas and achieve their best possible work. You will never get the best from your staff while believing that employee praise is not your job.