Windstream

Updated March 3, 2015
Updated March 3, 2015
2.6

Anthony ("Tony") Thomas

Pros
  • Pay is decent if you can sell something (in 13 reviews)

• Good pay (for sales people who can make quota) and great benefits (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible training, provisioning, customer service and the systems are a nightmare (in 15 reviews)

• No communication from Upper Management to CEO, CFO (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

I had a good experience working for Windstream.

Former Employee - Systems Manager in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Systems Manager in Evansville, IN

I worked at Windstream

Pros

The company is well organized.
    The people I dealt with (in IT) were knowledgeable and friendly.
    Good benefits.

Cons

The challenge dealt with the fact that the company for which I was working was purchased by Windstream, and ultimately my position was eliminated.

You should have taken a harder look at the employees you displaced to see if they were in a fit in different areas/locations.

New leadership, same old problems.

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone you work with is typically supportive and helpful. During your ramp-up period, there are also ample resources to find that can aid in learning company offerings. Recent changes in commission structure have removed the "sales" components from quota structure, and restructured it as retention based payout only, this alleviates most of the "grind" mentality that most sales positions have.

Cons

Though there are plenty of resources to aid in learning the company's services, because of 8 acquisitions over the past years, there is no "one-place" to find the information sheets. You are better off going to google... for two years now they have been talking about integrating all these acquisitions into one internal site, however that has yet to happen, and is constantly pushed back. These recent changes to the commission structure are good if you have trouble selling, which at this company is nearly impossible; but if you are the 1 in 100 that can manage to convince people to purchase overpriced, unsupported, unproven, telecommunication services... then this commission restructuring is not going to benefit you. One coworker I have who constantly made $20k in commission every 3 months, is only making approx. $2k per month on the new plan. New leadership has vocalized understanding of corporate wide problems, but the amount of work needed to effectively sell, process, deliver, install, and maintain the services we have will take several years of hard work before its up to par with other big name telecommunication providers.

Our core cultural belief of accountability is not recognized by 90% of the departments within the organization. If someone messes up your sale on the Service Delivery end of the order, i.e. not being able to to deliver the service at all, installing incorrectly, etc., you lose your commission regardless of fault, and the project coordinator will blame the sales person for the mess up. Managers need to teach their respective teams the meaning of accountability, and retrain on processes so simple fixes can be handled appropriately, before the customer becomes aware of an issue.

Hope management can turn it around

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible manager, generally good work environment, opportunity for advancement

Cons

Worried about future of company, some executives place heavy pressure on those under them, hours in some business units are excessive

Reward your top performers, don't reward employees only because they are in the leadership program. Push top-line revenue and hold sales leaders accountable.

Uphill Battle

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

High potential earnings, Extremely technical product line and great support from various levels of departments. Large market territories and a product set that works well for businesses with multi-locations and looking for customized managed services

Cons

Relationships internal and externally are key to being successful. Installation times longer and more painful than competitors. Frequent outages deter new business and hurt current customer relationships. Many legacy systems still needing integration make it hard to have access to quick reliable information.

Expectations from upper level management to view every market with the same quota potential is outrageous. Nazi style sales persuasion doesn't promote office moral and detracts from productivity.

Great people to work with

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

Will learn a lot OJT

Cons

Starting to make the atmosphere feel like a call center and killing morality

If employees are productive, it's ok for them to smile and be happy.

Not what it used to be

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Windstream

Pros

Great benefits, good span of control

Cons

Multiple rounds of layoffs have left employees scared for their future. This has led to a decline in morale and a new CYA-mentality. Employees are scared to take risks, afraid that any small mistake might cause them their job. Raises are almost non-existent. The company continues to reorganize regularly so that consistency is almost impossible.

Stop worrying about measuring company culture and start creating it - lead by example, stop making your employees paranoid and allow them to be creative and take risks, and stop letting talent walk out the door because you don't reward it.

Retail Sales Consultant

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Okay company to work for emphasis on business sales. I worked on the residential side, in what is a dying industry being they are a DSL company. Yes that means phone line. Business sales are growing with this position you have oppurtunities to make small business sales and you make good $$$. Retail not so much.
    Job gets left at the office other than stressing about quotas.

Cons

Customer service is a horable thing to deal with in a company that has inferior technology. Constant complaing of slow internet and outages. Management is never on your side during these disputes and will throw you under the bus in order to save themselves. Quota are outrageous about 30% of the time. And pay is based on tiered system comprising all products, so max quota are unreachable.

Take care of your employees.

I was a law clerk for the In Counsel Department.

Former Intern - Law Clerk in Little Rock, AR
    Former Intern - Law Clerk in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Windstream as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

You get broad exposure to a lot of areas of the law. You have a lot of independence in getting your work done. As long as you produce good work product, work will continue to be sent your way.

Cons

Not as much fellow employee contact as I would have liked. The desk for law clerks when I was there was basically in a closet.

Sell the company more to your law clerks.

Good company when started, but company executives become only concerned with themselves instead of helping those selling

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits: medical/dental/vision insurance; good retirement package; pays travel expenses.

Cons

Managers ridicule you more than they help. Training in field was not adequate. Need more ramp up time to meet quotas. Quotas need to be reflective upon territories assigned.

In depth in field training. More ramp up time to meet quotas. Quotas need to be reflective upon territories assigned.

Interesting and challenging.

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Twinsburg, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Twinsburg, OH

I worked at Windstream

Pros

Hours and meeting some nice co workers. Our group was very close. We were a family.

Cons

Always having to be on our peas and ques. Always being watched from supervisors from any department. Felt like I was in school again. If they liked you they liked you. If not you had better watch out. Management even talked about each other. A lot of backstabbing.

Still trying to figure out why everyone in the late 50s n 60s were all let go but the 2 under 40 were found a position. We seniors were interviewed but no one wanted us. We could only get 6 weeks of unemployment.