Windstream

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Heath Davies

Pros:
  • "Windstream offers great benefits to it's employees"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The pay is good, and I enjoy my job most of the time, I mean hardly anyone likes their job every single day"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Expected to sell to angry customers who are reporting customer service issues"
    in 8 reviews
  • "No where to move up unless you are friends with upper management, hard work does not pay off"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Love the people and management! Its corporate america so its only for those that like the hustle!

General (Current Employee)
Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than a year

ProsCo-workers, company culture is very open and people powered, can occassionally work from home, business casual dress code, feel valued and appreciated,

Consworkload goes in peaks and valleys, but again its corporate America and you have to show why you deserve top salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementDirect management does a great job. VP and SVP's should micromanage less

Awesome People

Recruiting Assistant (Current Employee)
Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream as an intern for less than a year

ProsThere has never been a time during my tenure at WIN that I've needed help and no one jumped up to assist. The team that I am part of prides itself on open communication and true comradery, and members of the team certainly walk the walk in that regard. It certainly helps with the bandwidth issue mentioned in the Cons section.

ConsWIN is very lean - which means that bandwidth per employee can, at times, be stretched to the limit. This can hinder work-life balance, which is a top priority for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith regard to overall leadership - A+. My direct supervisor is an all-star - the door is always open, this individual is very approachable, and handles conflict without flinching. With regard to the work-life balance, it's a struggle for the team's manager, as well. There's not much to be done. If the headcount isn't there, it isn't there.

Windstream is life, the rest just details!

Care (Current Employee)

I have been working at Windstream full-time for less than a year

ProsI love this place and it has become like a second home to me. I don't dread on going to work and my team is more of a family. There is no gossip or drama which I love and when you give respect you truly get it. Love the managers and the company. Also, I will not lie but I am not the best sales person but my managers like my customer service skills and personality towards customers. I make, at times, my goals but there are months when my sales aren't good. I have never been threatened of being fired. The only ones I have ever seen get fired were those who cannot show up to work on time. They do a point system thus making the day you were absent would equal a point. You get eight a year which is plenty, on top of your sick and vacation time. If you are on time everyday for a quarter you win one back. Also, you get a hundred bucks and a quarter day off. I went from a job where I was bullied and ridiculed to a great company. I love my job.

ConsI believe the biggest complaint is the commission structure. I was in finance before this and was laid off so the idea of commission is wonderful as I made it being a FA assistant. I made commission on everything I sold despite the number. What I don't like about the commission structure with windstream is that there are a certain amount of items you need to receive in a bucket before commission based on sales is given. Last month I sold three hundred dollars worth of merchandise. We were supposed to have two broad bands which I got and zero dish. The limit was two thus meaning that I received no commission on the sales made. I am not used to the quota sales environment. In training they seem to win you on how much money you make in sales but it is impossible to get it unless you can sweet talk people into it. If people are already angry they will not buy anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the commission structure. Gives us it on the sales rather than making us average it out in a bucket. You make us impossible on getting it!

Love Windstream!

I have been working at Windstream

ProsThe people are amazing, has great benefits and pay, room to grow and a company with integrity and good values.

ConsI have not experienced any.

Great company!

Project Coordinator (Current Employee)
Greenville, SC

I have been working at Windstream as a contractor for less than a year

ProsLove it. The people are very helpful and work well together. Lots of opportunities for growth in the company.

ConsParking is very hard to find and when you do you have to pay for it.

Decent Growing Company

Technical Support Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBenefits, Schedule, Location, close relations,

ConsFavoritism, Favoritism, yearly increase sucks,

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit the favoritism and morale will be higher

Great place to work

Analyst (Current Employee)
Rochester, NY

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpportunities abound in this up and coming company

ConsWould like to see the stock price coming up

Advice to Senior ManagementStay nimble and competitive

Wonderful place to work

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Providence, RI

I have been working at Windstream full-time for less than a year

ProsExcellent team to work with, lots of support from others in the office
Good work / life balance
Motivation from management to set everyone up for success
Salary / compensation is fair by industry standards
Opportunities to advance quickly within the organization based on hard work
Confident knowing that we have a solid network with unmatched customer service

ConsThe CRM (Soon this will be fixed, though! Excited for the update)
Difficulties in transitioning are still being felt from last year's acquisition of PAETEC

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery office is managed differently, so I can only speak for our office but I will say that so far it is clear that we have tenured, motivational leaders to encourage success. The cons are fixable and are not to be taken as harsh criticisms, simply being realistic and this is how everyone seems to feel. There is a very customer-centric group mentality which is key to profitability, so as a sales person this is very relieving. Overall, my advice is to simply continue investing in your employees now that you are (seemingly) finished with major acquisitions for a while. Transitions from an acquisition can be difficult to manage, especially across a company of over 15,000 employees; that being said, I recognize the fact that you are actually doing a terrific job. Keep it up.

WINDSTREAM IS AN OUTSTANDING COMPANY

ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE III (Current Employee)
Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Windstream full-time for less than a year

ProsOutstanding management, good salary, good compensation plan, great product offerings, very competitive pricing, NNI, Equipement for Service offering that no other telecom company offers

ConsNo immediate vacation or PTO when you starting with company - benefits not available until after 90 days of employment

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

East Bay Area has big upside! Recent local changes improving moral.

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Windstream full-time for more than a year

ProsRelevant solutions. Management support is strong in Walnut Creek. Disgruntled underperforming employees have been cleared out and remaining team is gelling. It's a fun place to work. The product is very strong and pricing is very competitive. The best telecom around IMHO. Salary is very competitive as well. I have not been in any competitive sale situation without feeling that Windstream has the better product and support. Although not everybody has heard of Windstream, the company has a very strong reputation for those 'in the know'. Ranks tops nationally in customer satisfaction and service. Lots of upward mobility potential.

ConsNo effective CRM for sales. Implementation process has been a challenge, but is improving. Overcoming the legacy left by the previous regime can be a challenge since the local reputation was tarnished.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a great product and finally have great people. Hire more solid individuals and take care of them. Make CRM a priority.

Worked for Windstream? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Windstream reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Windstream CEO Heath Davies . All 121 reviews posted anonymously by Windstream employees.