Windstream

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
2.6

Anthony ("Tony") Thomas

Pros
  • Pay is decent if you can sell something (in 13 reviews)

• Good pay (for sales people who can make quota) and great benefits (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible training, provisioning, customer service and the systems are a nightmare (in 15 reviews)

• No communication from Upper Management to CEO, CFO (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

No future for some people

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

pays the bills for now

Cons

No advancement. Training is a joke and if management likes you, you can advancement rapidly.

Account Manager II

Former Employee - Account Manager II in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager II in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits for the most part but lacking in areas.

Cons

This company if very inferior to all of its competitors. I would not recommend anyone to go and work for them.

Poor Management that has no idea what they are doing which causes problems in all areas.

Retention rep

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

It's a great learning experience of what racism really looks like. (Bipolar MVA) Upper management supports this as well, nothing ever done to help. Good if you plan on never moving up and expect to go no where. Goooooooo S.

Cons

You will never grow here. Serious micro management. Poor salary, no raises. Great for someone with a GED. Worked here over 7 years nothing to show for.

It's 2015-not 1864. Racism and discrimination should be over but I guess not. AP you're losing good employees. But it's a revolving door.

Very very poor company to work for

Former Employee - Direct Sales in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Direct Sales in Nashville, TN

I worked at Windstream

Pros

It is a step up from the insurance industry or selling knives door to door, but that is about it. Good vacation time.

Cons

Really poor product set. For the most part you try to resell outdated AT&T network to customers for far more than they would pay for a better service elsewhere. The management preaches strong micro-management and cold-calling. Over and over the Managers will ask how many appointments you have set, when the appointments can be 100% meaningless. It is just a horrible sales system.

The ordering and management of customers is on a horrendous platform that makes everything 10 times more difficult than it needs to be and assures problems. Nothing EVER goes smoothly and your customers will always hate you for locking them into a contract on the services.

Last, but not least, they are forcing me to go to court to get my commissions. Windstream pays about 30% on the sale of the product and 70% on the install of the product. It is designed to pressure producers into staying as you will walk away from all of your commissions if you leave. I carefully timed my exit to allow me to have a decent sale cutover PRIOR to leaving. I was assured by the product installation manager that it was cut and sent to billing prior to leaving but 2 months later I was never paid as Windstream said that even though the install was complete, it was never closed in the system. Now I get to fight them in court for what I rightfully earned.

I was with the company over a year and saw a bunch of salespeople come and go. Most salespeople ended their tenure with 0% of quota and only left when threatened they were going to lose their job. I did fine myself but few others produced. Also since it takes an average of 6 months to get anything installed, I had to walk away from a bunch of commissions.

This is a last resort job. Take it if you are desperate and need to put food in your kids mouths, otherwise find a real job.

On a high level, quit playing finance and run a real business. The constant rumors of merger and financial reorganizations struck me as a pump and dump. Maybe you think these have real value to the company, but I sure didn't see it.

On a local level, you really don't need 15 hours of sales meetings a week. Hard to sell when your are locked in a conference room learning about an ancillary product you will never see mentioned again.

If only I could give it a negative star review

I worked at Windstream

Pros

Literally can't think of 1 PRO.. .. We had a company card to expense client meetings and events.. That lasted a month ..

Cons

Man this is a sinking ship.. The CEO Just got let go .. They expect you to make hundreds of phone calls to set 1 appointment, impressive metrics right? Upper management is Prob the worst I've ever seen. Clueless on how to use the systems, motivate employees, find incentive on selling.. And many more. It's sad to see such a horrible culture that breads negativity. During my short time there I knew 0 successful reps. It was a revolving door of reps, most would stay thru their ramp" then head for he hills soon after. While our management sole job was trying to get dead heads in the seats. I can't even talk about how bad the product we sold was. It never worked and the install process took twice industry standards. I could not sell anymore because my reputation was ruined in the small city I worked in. Your forced to not sell your own product just to save face. I feel bad for anyone who works there, if your interviewing I say take the job and get your ramp.. After that find a new job, trust me they're already looking to replace you so they keep their job and buy some time.

Ummm .. Stop throwing ppl in a management position because they have (30) years experience . That doesn't mean they have a clue about management .. RUN

Nightmare

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers- good group of people

Cons

No training, sink or swim; no upper management presence or leadership; no office supplies - this is the first time I had to buy my own; that is how cheap this company is.

Short-term thinking may work for a while, however in the long run you'll lose your organic customers and be left with nothing.

Laid off with no warning

Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were desperately trying to do the 'right thing'. WS has a very large number of talented and caring employees.

Cons

The Company does not care about its people. Example-last year when the Employee Engagement Survey yielded negative responses, we were chastised. Their goal (only 60%!) for employee satisfaction wasn't met. How can a company only have a goal of 60% employee engagement? AND THEN NOT EVEN MEET THAT? Every employee I spoke with was frustrated, stressed, and angry. The company does NOT TRAIN its people. The only training afforded to sales is sales training. No one is trained on products. Support staff and service delivery are marginal... once again, not because of a lack of talent or intelligence, but because they aren't trained. Repairs take weeks, sometimes months. I was laid off (probably a blessing) three days ago. I have since received multiple calls from former customers and coworkers who are outraged because of it. I was told that I was their only hope. Customers are leaving in droves and rightfully so. Disparate systems make work more difficult and sometimes impossible. If you are reading this and have an option, DO NOT work for Windstream.

Shame on you. Pathetic, impotent people making money off the misery of others.

Worst company ever.

Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Windstream full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Competitive base salary, benefits are ok, 401K is offered. The company offered sales training, and continued training and education on products.

Cons

I was laid off after only 8 months of working here due to the company "downsizing". Thrown out on the street after less than a year, when I was told it would take me 12 months before I really would get going in my position. When I was hired, I was told they wouldn't even expect me to make quota for 10 months. Terrible network reliability, customers are leaving left and right, prices are way too high, too many corporate systems to be able to get anything done in an efficient manner. Unreasonable expectations by management. I was hired under one commission plan, then they changed the plan taking thousands of dollars off the table. Upper management cares only about numbers. They do not care about or treat their employees with any respect. This company is losing profits. The CEO and upper management is running this company into the ground.

Resign immediately.

HORRIBLE PLACE TO WORK

Current Employee - AE III in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - AE III in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are no pros in this company. Get out of here as soon as possible.

Cons

Everything you can possibly think. Service implementation is horrible 170 days is the norm. Customers runaway constantly and just book a meeting for a new customer is very hard. No name recognition, horrible reputation among existing customers. You hardly can get a lead to work. Very low level & unskilled management. This company will not last. They claim to be the 4th largest carrier in the country, but this is yet to be believed internally and by customers. Do not come to work here. This is not a great company to have on your resume. Very soon it will be bought. Nobody sales anything!!!! This is a pure revolving door. If you want to make money, this is not the place

Get trained

Sinking Ship

Current Employee - Network Analyst I
    Current Employee - Network Analyst I

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company was great once. That time is now long gone.

Cons

The management belittles the average employee. Work here if you want to feel stressed, like nothing you do matters at all times, and "preferential treatment" is an understatement.

Fire your management and get better managers who actually care about the future of the company rather than making themselves look good at the expense of others who are actually doing their job well.