Windstream

Updated December 19, 2014
2.6

Windstream President & CEO Jeffery R Gardner
Jeffery R Gardner

Pros
  • Pay is decent if you can sell something (in 13 reviews)

• Good pay (for sales people who can make quota) and great benefits (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible training, provisioning, customer service and the systems are a nightmare (in 15 reviews)

• No communication from Upper Management to CEO, CFO (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

residential sale consultant

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

hourly wages, life balance, co-workers

Cons

mandatory overtime w/o notice
    all management do is gossip
    always changing commission for the rep to make more money but always end up making less money every time they change the commission structure
    dishonesty in management

If only I could give it a negative star review

I worked at Windstream

Pros

Literally can't think of 1 PRO.. .. We had a company card to expense client meetings and events.. That lasted a month ..

Cons

Man this is a sinking ship.. The CEO Just got let go .. They expect you to make hundreds of phone calls to set 1 appointment, impressive metrics right? Upper management is Prob the worst I've ever seen. Clueless on how to use the systems, motivate employees, find incentive on selling.. And many more. It's sad to see such a horrible culture that breads negativity. During my short time there I knew 0 successful reps. It was a revolving door of reps, most would stay thru their ramp" then head for he hills soon after. While our management sole job was trying to get dead heads in the seats. I can't even talk about how bad the product we sold was. It never worked and the install process took twice industry standards. I could not sell anymore because my reputation was ruined in the small city I worked in. Your forced to not sell your own product just to save face. I feel bad for anyone who works there, if your interviewing I say take the job and get your ramp.. After that find a new job, trust me they're already looking to replace you so they keep their job and buy some time.

Ummm .. Stop throwing ppl in a management position because they have (30) years experience . That doesn't mean they have a clue about management .. RUN

Over worked, under paid, not appreciated.

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team environment. Benefits are decent but rates for employees are high.

Cons

Very underpaid comparing to other telcom companies.

Consider training and pay increases for project coordinators. You are not competitive within the telcom market.

Brad Streetman - Data Analytics / Informatics / Information Specalist / eSports

Current Employee - Network Analyst I in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Network Analyst I in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent place to learn where to start your career. Able to troubleshoot older equipment, time to learn new skills

Cons

Having to troubleshoot older equipment without support from vendors/documentation. Lack of advancement opportunities.

It's okay

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I really enjoy my manager and my fellow colleagues.

Cons

Not enough resources available for all our projects. Most everyone in my department is overworked. Need better coordination, procedures and communication between the carrier side and the ISG division. Need upper management to "walk a day in the shoes of the little people on the ground."

Sit with the little people and understand their jobs and items that cause issues and pain to each department. Talk to the little people and ask for input on procedure and how to better customer service, etc.

Good Network Exposure but Not a Career due to Low Pay

Current Employee - ISG Tech
    Current Employee - ISG Tech

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

Plenty of work, nice people

Cons

too much responsibility, poor pay, no chance for advancement, no formal training, communications between departments is the worst, as nobody understands the other groups scope of support therefore the customer suffers. not enough employees to cover the customer base when disaster strikes . it doesn't seem like management cares about the customers after they've signed the contract. many processes are flawed and nobody seems to be working on a fix.

Pay the techs at least the national average! We are the voice of this place as we talk to the customers everyday. We constantly have to apologize on behalf of Windstream. We are apologizing for processes that are out of our control. This company brings in lots of money, and based on the salaries reported on this website only a select few are benefiting. Sales are all that seems to matter to this company, once the paperwork is signed, the poor customer is thrown through loops just to get support for things that should have been working before original installers left; but remote techs are left to figure out the mess that was left from install. If the techs are expected to get dumped on every day it's important to make them feel like it's worth it.

It was a good career

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Windstream

Pros

Lots of learning opportunities, supportive managers, always plenty of work to do.

Cons

Lots of hours, no increase in pay for additional duties, always concerned about layoffs

Stop spending money on employee surveys and hire the staff you adequately need to do the work.

Decent Pay / Dead Atmosphere

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent. Skills required for job will allow you to further your career somewhere else. Top management make attempts at showing appreciation.

Cons

More than a few lower managers seem to enjoy demeaning employees. I will not make a career here because of it. It's not an environment that cultivates friendships. It's a machine. Production, goals, and budget come first. Human factor is low on the list. Because Windstream is a merger of more than 20 companies, it is a procedural nightmare getting corporate access and support on almost every level.

You can't manufacturer a culture. It is a way of life, not a series of events on a calendar. You really need to look at your lower level managers closer. Get a consensus from the people they "manage". Employees are treated as hourly slaves and numbers. It's not healthy for the company and I don't believe top management knows it exists bc on the surface things appear normal and functional. A happy employee will make you more money. If you continue to make financial goals a priority over the people that make it function, the budget will continue to fall and quarterly results will continue weakening.

Good stepping stone

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

Good exposure to MPLS and IP routing.

Cons

Pay is far below industry standards. Certifications are not recognized. Collaboration between different groups is mediocre.

Disorganized, Understaffed and Overworked

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at Windstream will introduce you to many different technologies. The network consists of multi-vendor core and really touches on your base understanding of networking skills and troubleshooting.Complex issues will definitely test your knowledge and validate your certification whether it be CCNA, CCNP, CCNA Security, JNCIA etc
    Decent pay w/ decent benefits. Coworkers are fun to work with. Call Center Perks ummm frequent potlucks if that's your thing.The main pro is that you can level up at an ISP 2-3x as fast versus working for an enterprise or vendor

Cons

Where to start. The company is mainly split into 3 departments. Data, Voice and transport. The data department in the Maitland call center is ran by 2 Managers and one team lead. Windstream is the wild west of the telecomm industry and this will make sense if you choose to work here. The CEO's are accountants which plays a big part into some of the recent developments and decisions.Data is ran like a call center with heavy micro managing. Policies are ever changing and yearly raises are not very enticing. Understaffed and overworked is a common theme. I could go on but have a game plan if you choose to work here. You are a number 1st and a person 2nd which is usually how most call centers work. Training is non existent. A new hire may be given 4-5 weeks training and then thrown into the wolves as far being able to troubleshoot everything. Trial by fire works for some but not for everyone. Afterwards there is no continued training development when it comes to complex technologies.

Recognize your employees skill set and give the appropriate access level. The good cop, bad cop management style causes confusion and doesn't scale well over time. If employees believe that management has their best interests at heart then employees will go the extra mile.Professionalism is not attained through a job title and this is something that needs to be worked on by "BOTH" managers.If management is held accountable by NPS Surveys and the trend continues this reflects on your poor management style. Cracking jokes and having outbursts on the floor when a mistake is made resonates poorly with the workforce.