Windstream

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
2.6

Anthony ("Tony") Thomas

Pros
  • Pay is decent if you can sell something (in 13 reviews)

• Good pay (for sales people who can make quota) and great benefits (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible training, provisioning, customer service and the systems are a nightmare (in 15 reviews)

• No communication from Upper Management to CEO, CFO (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Brad Streetman - Data Analytics / Informatics / Information Specalist / eSports

Current Employee - Network Analyst I in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Network Analyst I in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent place to learn where to start your career. Able to troubleshoot older equipment, time to learn new skills

Cons

Having to troubleshoot older equipment without support from vendors/documentation. Lack of advancement opportunities.

Decent Pay / Dead Atmosphere

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent. Skills required for job will allow you to further your career somewhere else. Top management make attempts at showing appreciation.

Cons

More than a few lower managers seem to enjoy demeaning employees. I will not make a career here because of it. It's not an environment that cultivates friendships. It's a machine. Production, goals, and budget come first. Human factor is low on the list. Because Windstream is a merger of more than 20 companies, it is a procedural nightmare getting corporate access and support on almost every level.

You can't manufacturer a culture. It is a way of life, not a series of events on a calendar. You really need to look at your lower level managers closer. Get a consensus from the people they "manage". Employees are treated as hourly slaves and numbers. It's not healthy for the company and I don't believe top management knows it exists bc on the surface things appear normal and functional. A happy employee will make you more money. If you continue to make financial goals a priority over the people that make it function, the budget will continue to fall and quarterly results will continue weakening.

Good stepping stone

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

Good exposure to MPLS and IP routing.

Cons

Pay is far below industry standards. Certifications are not recognized. Collaboration between different groups is mediocre.

No future for some people

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

pays the bills for now

Cons

No advancement. Training is a joke and if management likes you, you can advancement rapidly.

awesome

Current Employee - Tech in Clarion, PA
    Current Employee - Tech in Clarion, PA

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good hours great pay happy

Cons

working in winter hours stress

keep up the good work

Account Manager II

Former Employee - Account Manager II in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager II in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits for the most part but lacking in areas.

Cons

This company if very inferior to all of its competitors. I would not recommend anyone to go and work for them.

Poor Management that has no idea what they are doing which causes problems in all areas.

Retention rep

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

It's a great learning experience of what racism really looks like. (Bipolar MVA) Upper management supports this as well, nothing ever done to help. Good if you plan on never moving up and expect to go no where. Goooooooo S.

Cons

You will never grow here. Serious micro management. Poor salary, no raises. Great for someone with a GED. Worked here over 7 years nothing to show for.

It's 2015-not 1864. Racism and discrimination should be over but I guess not. AP you're losing good employees. But it's a revolving door.

Over worked, under paid, not appreciated.

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team environment. Benefits are decent but rates for employees are high.

Cons

Very underpaid comparing to other telcom companies.

Consider training and pay increases for project coordinators. You are not competitive within the telcom market.

Good Network Exposure but Not a Career due to Low Pay

Current Employee - ISG Tech
    Current Employee - ISG Tech

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

Plenty of work, nice people

Cons

too much responsibility, poor pay, no chance for advancement, no formal training, communications between departments is the worst, as nobody understands the other groups scope of support therefore the customer suffers. not enough employees to cover the customer base when disaster strikes . it doesn't seem like management cares about the customers after they've signed the contract. many processes are flawed and nobody seems to be working on a fix.

Pay the techs at least the national average! We are the voice of this place as we talk to the customers everyday. We constantly have to apologize on behalf of Windstream. We are apologizing for processes that are out of our control. This company brings in lots of money, and based on the salaries reported on this website only a select few are benefiting. Sales are all that seems to matter to this company, once the paperwork is signed, the poor customer is thrown through loops just to get support for things that should have been working before original installers left; but remote techs are left to figure out the mess that was left from install. If the techs are expected to get dumped on every day it's important to make them feel like it's worth it.

It's okay

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I really enjoy my manager and my fellow colleagues.

Cons

Not enough resources available for all our projects. Most everyone in my department is overworked. Need better coordination, procedures and communication between the carrier side and the ISG division. Need upper management to "walk a day in the shoes of the little people on the ground."

Sit with the little people and understand their jobs and items that cause issues and pain to each department. Talk to the little people and ask for input on procedure and how to better customer service, etc.