Windstream

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
2.6

Anthony ("Tony") Thomas

Pros
  • Pay is decent if you can sell something (in 13 reviews)

• Good pay (for sales people who can make quota) and great benefits (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible training, provisioning, customer service and the systems are a nightmare (in 15 reviews)

• No communication from Upper Management to CEO, CFO (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

good benefits, room to grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, above-average pay. Plenty of room to grow in this large organization. Managers were almost always very knowledgeable about the functions performed by their teams, and were often their own department SMEs.

Cons

Since the bureaucracy is so large getting things done can require a 10-20 people on a series of conference calls. This leads to a lot of time spent idle on call after call.

Take the time to make incorporation of acquired an company's data a higher priority. Deadlines seemed to be a much larger driver than accuracy.

Very very poor company to work for

Former Employee - Direct Sales in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Direct Sales in Nashville, TN

I worked at Windstream

Pros

It is a step up from the insurance industry or selling knives door to door, but that is about it. Good vacation time.

Cons

Really poor product set. For the most part you try to resell outdated AT&T network to customers for far more than they would pay for a better service elsewhere. The management preaches strong micro-management and cold-calling. Over and over the Managers will ask how many appointments you have set, when the appointments can be 100% meaningless. It is just a horrible sales system.

The ordering and management of customers is on a horrendous platform that makes everything 10 times more difficult than it needs to be and assures problems. Nothing EVER goes smoothly and your customers will always hate you for locking them into a contract on the services.

Last, but not least, they are forcing me to go to court to get my commissions. Windstream pays about 30% on the sale of the product and 70% on the install of the product. It is designed to pressure producers into staying as you will walk away from all of your commissions if you leave. I carefully timed my exit to allow me to have a decent sale cutover PRIOR to leaving. I was assured by the product installation manager that it was cut and sent to billing prior to leaving but 2 months later I was never paid as Windstream said that even though the install was complete, it was never closed in the system. Now I get to fight them in court for what I rightfully earned.

I was with the company over a year and saw a bunch of salespeople come and go. Most salespeople ended their tenure with 0% of quota and only left when threatened they were going to lose their job. I did fine myself but few others produced. Also since it takes an average of 6 months to get anything installed, I had to walk away from a bunch of commissions.

This is a last resort job. Take it if you are desperate and need to put food in your kids mouths, otherwise find a real job.

On a high level, quit playing finance and run a real business. The constant rumors of merger and financial reorganizations struck me as a pump and dump. Maybe you think these have real value to the company, but I sure didn't see it.

On a local level, you really don't need 15 hours of sales meetings a week. Hard to sell when your are locked in a conference room learning about an ancillary product you will never see mentioned again.

If only I could give it a negative star review

I worked at Windstream

Pros

Literally can't think of 1 PRO.. .. We had a company card to expense client meetings and events.. That lasted a month ..

Cons

Man this is a sinking ship.. The CEO Just got let go .. They expect you to make hundreds of phone calls to set 1 appointment, impressive metrics right? Upper management is Prob the worst I've ever seen. Clueless on how to use the systems, motivate employees, find incentive on selling.. And many more. It's sad to see such a horrible culture that breads negativity. During my short time there I knew 0 successful reps. It was a revolving door of reps, most would stay thru their ramp" then head for he hills soon after. While our management sole job was trying to get dead heads in the seats. I can't even talk about how bad the product we sold was. It never worked and the install process took twice industry standards. I could not sell anymore because my reputation was ruined in the small city I worked in. Your forced to not sell your own product just to save face. I feel bad for anyone who works there, if your interviewing I say take the job and get your ramp.. After that find a new job, trust me they're already looking to replace you so they keep their job and buy some time.

Ummm .. Stop throwing ppl in a management position because they have (30) years experience . That doesn't mean they have a clue about management .. RUN

Good Culture, Questionable Leadership

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work-from-home and flexible hours, middle management available and engaged

Cons

Hasty Reorganizations, talented staff laid off

Great in the past, but has lost its way

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent compensation, good work/life balance depending on your position. Health insurance is decent compared to what is out there.

Cons

No opportunities for advancement for managers. Aside from a token front line manager here and there, ALL network/engineering management positions are filled by external candidates.
    Gradual reduction in the perqs over the years. For example, 401k match used to be paid on each paycheck in cash. Then it was once per year, then later in the following year, now it's been reduced to being paid in company stock the following spring. Same thing with mgmt bonuses.
    Has done a poor job integrating the myriad of acquisitions. While in many cases the teams have been integrated, the systems and processes have not, so employees have to switch between many systems and keep track of many one-off processes.
    Odd cycle of laying off 1-3% of workforce periodically based on impressing Wall St that quarter, then hiring at least that many back soon afterward, only to do it again the next time revenues are short. I don't see successful firms like VZ doing that kind of stuff.
    As everywhere, bosses are hit or miss.
    IT could do a whole lot more to improve our efficiency and quality.

Integrate the acquired firms. We need one trouble ticketing system, one order flow system, one records system, etc., not four of each.
    Concerned that Win isn't going to be a going concern long-term. We seem to be in the death-spiral of 1) sales can't hit revenue targets because the network is crappy, so 2) we reduce staff in the engineering/network organizations to save money, so 3) the network gets crappier, so 4) sales continue to decline.
    Take a look at your internal talent rather than strictly hiring externally.
    We seem to be chasing what's sexy, rather than being good at blocking and tackling. Will the millions spent on the LR data center really ever see a meaningful ROI?

Nightmare

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers- good group of people

Cons

No training, sink or swim; no upper management presence or leadership; no office supplies - this is the first time I had to buy my own; that is how cheap this company is.

Short-term thinking may work for a while, however in the long run you'll lose your organic customers and be left with nothing.

Great company, horrible management, hemorrhaging customers - BTAC

Former Employee - Network Analyst in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Network Analyst in Greenville, SC

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, vacation/sick time. The company as a whole treats its people well, has a great vision for the future, and a great vision of the culture they want - within the company as a whole.

Cons

Departmental conditions can vary greatly from that "company as a whole" vision, however.

It's a call center. You'll take the same 5 calls all day long. And be fussed at for not taking more calls, or doing them faster, or doing enough of the extra work during the calls, or following all the extraneous steps that are not involved in resolving your call.

Pay raises stopped in 2013. I don't consider the .75% we got this year across the board to be a pay raise.

The medical benefits package was changed effective 2013 without anyone being told, making it considerably more out-of-pocket.

Work/life balance is a non-existent. Seniority means nothing, you have to bid for your shift every 90 days based on metrics that often change from bid to bid. In a 24/7 call center, this can be hell on your home life.

You're penalized for using sick time. I was on a project that I enjoyed and was good at. I had a surgery go bad - instead of being out 4-5 days, I was out for 6 weeks. Finally came back, and I was pulled from the project, put back on the scut work, and promotions and pay raises were affected for the next 2 years based on that surgery gone wrong.

Management is full of inexperienced, just bad, management. Favoritism and micromanagement runs rampant. The management has said out loud that it is not their job to recognize any good work you do, only punish you for mistakes. Management is not interested in growing their employees, unless you're one of the pet favorites. This requires things like hanging out with one particular manager after work and on weekends, to go running. That's not hyperbole.

Upper management is unaware of the lower/middle management issues. There is little to no meaningful contact from upper management.

HR is ineffective. Employees who have complained about management have found that HR simply turns around and tells the manager everything they said - including the employee's name. No action is ever taken (the manager only has to say "that's not true", there are no investigations), and the employee will then be punished - subtly of course. I've seen more than one employee pushed out through this process.

The company is losing customers hand over fist because of poor customer service and constant equipment failures. They just laid off almost 1000 people from their Network Operations division. The workload has gone from "busy" to "insane" as a result of this pending reorganization

This particular department will be merged into another one within the division. One can only hope the ramifications will include a better selection of management.

Learn how to manage. All the Greenville management in this department is corrupt and ineffective, save one. And that one is simply ineffective because he has the other two as role models. Google "leadership styles" and try to emulate better ones than what you are doing now.

Upper management - be more aware of problems with lower/middle management. Sometimes the problem isn't the front line, it's the people in charge of that line. Be aware of the ineffectiveness of HR and how it leaves Windstream open to potential lawsuits. Encourage your lower/middle management to appreciate their peoples' work, not beat them down.

Good company, decent pay, poor management

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

Decent pay for the level of experience required. Coworkers are fun people to work with. The Windstream Culture is a good idea, if only the local managers would try following it.

Cons

High pressure atmosphere. BTAC Job is essentially a call center for customers and field techs to call in. Managers are lacking in real leadership skills. Management prefers fast paced quantity of work over quality. Work shifts are rebid every 90 days and based on a changing measurement of quality, productivity and attendance. The dept is 24/7, so many of the shifts are quite bad, like 3pm - midnight Tuesday thru Saturday, or 1pm-midnight Friday thru Monday. Taking sick time is severely punished: lowered annual raises, no chance for promotion and lower placement on the shift bid list if sick time is used. Work overhead keeps increasing with new required tasks added to each call almost every month, but call quantity expectations remain the same. This info is per the BTAC department, not across the entire company. Rumors are that other depts are much better managed.

Learn what the word Leadership means. A Manager pushes people to get the work done. A Leader inspires them to want to work harder, develop new ideas and achieve their best possible work. You will never get the best from your staff while believing that employee praise is not your job.

ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE III

Former Employee - Account Executive III in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Executive III in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

compensation-starting salary of new hires is competitive
    training-new hire training is good
    sales support-the engineering staff was helpful when I started
    flexibility-didn't have to report to office everyday in the beginning
    sales tools-sales force which is the standard for many businesses and easy to work with.

Cons

Before acquiring with Pay tech and Nuvox, it was a pretty good company, once they merged it became a company more concerned with their profits than their people. What a shame. A lot of turnover in the sales channel.

Management need to invite feedback or input from the employees. Very much a micro-management style environment.

Account Management

I have been working at Windstream full-time

Pros

Corporate job and Getting a paycheck

Cons

Large company with multiple silo'ed organization that makes day to day tasks difficult to sometimes impossible.

Listen to mid level employees especially in revenue producing roles i.e direct sales and account management. Lots to learn from them.