Windstream Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
344 reviews filtered by

I got laid off at Windstream today as part of 350 jobs cut.

Former Employee - Account Manager II in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager II in Orlando, FL

I worked at Windstream full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I now have the skills and knowledge to work at any Telecom Carrier in the US. Also, higher salaried positions I could see the integrity in those people. Intelligent and friendly.

Cons

Honestly, I think accepted the wrong job offer. The Account Management role I accepted, well the compensation is poor. Benefits are also poor. I was fully trained by Windstream after six months and a week later, laid-off.

I was impressed with senior leadership, very impressed. However from Director level down needs a second look if the company is going to survive.

Good Network Exposure but Not a Career due to Low Pay

Current Employee - ISG Tech
    Current Employee - ISG Tech

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

Plenty of work, nice people

Cons

too much responsibility, poor pay, no chance for advancement, no formal training, communications between departments is the worst, as nobody understands the other groups scope of support therefore the customer suffers. not enough employees to cover the customer base when disaster strikes . it doesn't seem like management cares about the customers after they've signed the contract. many processes are flawed and nobody seems to be working on a fix.

Pay the techs at least the national average! We are the voice of this place as we talk to the customers everyday. We constantly have to apologize on behalf of Windstream. We are apologizing for processes that are out of our control. This company brings in lots of money, and based on the salaries reported on this website only a select few are benefiting. Sales are all that seems to matter to this company, once the paperwork is signed, the poor customer is thrown through loops just to get support for things that should have been working before original installers left; but remote techs are left to figure out the mess that was left from install. If the techs are expected to get dumped on every day it's important to make them feel like it's worth it.

Multiple service outages made it difficult to represent the company as having a solid product

Former Employee - Account Manager II in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Account Manager II in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Windstream full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I had flexibility in my day an was encouraged to go to entertain customers on corporate card. Windstream had suites at Ford Field and other major arenas. They had a wide variety of business solutions for customers.

Cons

We had a major outage, nearly once a month. Turning a customer up would involve a much longer time than necessary. Since Windstream purchased many other telecom companies, none of them seem to talk to each other. Entering a new order is very cumbersome. I had one coaching while working there, however, my boss was great. I lost job because of corporate cutbacks.

Invest in infrastructure here in Michigan. Be there for employee's concerns.

5. It's okay

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I really enjoy my manager and my fellow colleagues.

Cons

Not enough resources available for all our projects. Most everyone in my department is overworked. Need better coordination, procedures and communication between the carrier side and the ISG division. Need upper management to "walk a day in the shoes of the little people on the ground."

Sit with the little people and understand their jobs and items that cause issues and pain to each department. Talk to the little people and ask for input on procedure and how to better customer service, etc.

6. It was a good career

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Windstream

Pros

Lots of learning opportunities, supportive managers, always plenty of work to do.

Cons

Lots of hours, no increase in pay for additional duties, always concerned about layoffs

Stop spending money on employee surveys and hire the staff you adequately need to do the work.

It's a job...

Current Employee - Network Technician II
    Current Employee - Network Technician II

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are given the right management structure, you will learn more about your job, in a shorter time, than you ever thought possible.

Cons

Kind of a sink or sink attitude. Lots of "I don't do that" or "someone else does that" responses. There is a lack of care about the customers and that is why they leave to other carriers. The company failed to understand what they got into when they made their acquisitions two years ago. They bit off more than they could chew, IMO.

Just because you preach a culture, doesn't mean that anyone believes it. I enjoy being in a company where I feel that I can make a difference. Help that one more person. The cultural idea is good, don't get me wrong, but the vast majority of the people don't believe it. And if they don't believe it, they won't follow it.

Disorganized, Understaffed and Overworked

I have been working at Windstream full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at Windstream will introduce you to many different technologies. The network consists of multi-vendor core and really touches on your base understanding of networking skills and troubleshooting.Complex issues will definitely test your knowledge and validate your certification whether it be CCNA, CCNP, CCNA Security, JNCIA etc
    Decent pay w/ decent benefits. Coworkers are fun to work with. Call Center Perks ummm frequent potlucks if that's your thing.The main pro is that you can level up at an ISP 2-3x as fast versus working for an enterprise or vendor

Cons

Where to start. The company is mainly split into 3 departments. Data, Voice and transport. The data department in the Maitland call center is ran by 2 Managers and one team lead. Windstream is the wild west of the telecomm industry and this will make sense if you choose to work here. The CEO's are accountants which plays a big part into some of the recent developments and decisions.Data is ran like a call center with heavy micro managing. Policies are ever changing and yearly raises are not very enticing. Understaffed and overworked is a common theme. I could go on but have a game plan if you choose to work here. You are a number 1st and a person 2nd which is usually how most call centers work. Training is non existent. A new hire may be given 4-5 weeks training and then thrown into the wolves as far being able to troubleshoot everything. Trial by fire works for some but not for everyone. Afterwards there is no continued training development when it comes to complex technologies.

Recognize your employees skill set and give the appropriate access level. The good cop, bad cop management style causes confusion and doesn't scale well over time. If employees believe that management has their best interests at heart then employees will go the extra mile.Professionalism is not attained through a job title and this is something that needs to be worked on by "BOTH" managers.If management is held accountable by NPS Surveys and the trend continues this reflects on your poor management style. Cracking jokes and having outbursts on the floor when a mistake is made resonates poorly with the workforce.

Typical

I worked at Windstream

Pros

Pay was good and schedule was good

Cons

Lack of leadership from management. Never recognized for the good achievements.

Layoffs, Layoffs, Layoffs

Former Employee - Customer Care Coordinator in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Care Coordinator in Rochester, NY

I worked at Windstream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great fellow line level Customer Service folks. Good benefits.

Cons

Incredibly bureaucratic, inefficient. If you were middle management, you were constantly worried about layoffs. If you were the low man on the totem pole, you would be gone, even if you were doing better than your peers in terms of performance. Impossible to move around the company with ease. Promotions or even side-promotions into other teams were almost unreachable, and as soon as you made your interest known, you were seemly putting your hand up for the next round of layoffs.

Cut some of the upper management folks. Listen to your people, make it a fun place to work again, and quit laying people off.

11. an anonymous review for Windstream

Current Employee - Network Technician II in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Network Technician II in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Windstream full-time

Pros

Central Florida location is a plus.

Cons

Pay scale is below the Industry standard.