Windstream Reviews

Updated April 25, 2015
358 reviews filtered by

Over worked, under paid, not appreciated.

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Windstream full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team environment. Benefits are decent but rates for employees are high.

Cons

Very underpaid comparing to other telcom companies.

Advice to Management

Consider training and pay increases for project coordinators. You are not competitive within the telcom market.

2. awesome

Current Employee - Tech in Clarion, PA
    Current Employee - Tech in Clarion, PA

I have been working at Windstream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good hours great pay happy

Cons

working in winter hours stress

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

3. Account Manager II

Former Employee - Account Manager II in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager II in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Windstream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits for the most part but lacking in areas.

Cons

This company if very inferior to all of its competitors. I would not recommend anyone to go and work for them.

Advice to Management

Poor Management that has no idea what they are doing which causes problems in all areas.

5. Retention rep

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

It's a great learning experience of what racism really looks like. (Bipolar MVA) Upper management supports this as well, nothing ever done to help. Good if you plan on never moving up and expect to go no where. Goooooooo S.

Cons

You will never grow here. Serious micro management. Poor salary, no raises. Great for someone with a GED. Worked here over 7 years nothing to show for.

Advice to Management

It's 2015-not 1864. Racism and discrimination should be over but I guess not. AP you're losing good employees. But it's a revolving door.

I got laid off at Windstream today as part of 350 jobs cut.

Former Employee - Account Manager II in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager II in Orlando, FL

I worked at Windstream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I now have the skills and knowledge to work at any Telecom Carrier in the US. Also, higher salaried positions I could see the integrity in those people. Intelligent and friendly.

Cons

Honestly, I think accepted the wrong job offer. The Account Management role I accepted, well the compensation is poor. Benefits are also poor. I was fully trained by Windstream after six months and a week later, laid-off.

Advice to Management

I was impressed with senior leadership, very impressed. However from Director level down needs a second look if the company is going to survive.

Good Network Exposure but Not a Career due to Low Pay

Current Employee - ISG Tech
    Current Employee - ISG Tech

I have been working at Windstream

Pros

Plenty of work, nice people

Cons

too much responsibility, poor pay, no chance for advancement, no formal training, communications between departments is the worst, as nobody understands the other groups scope of support therefore the customer suffers. not enough employees to cover the customer base when disaster strikes . it doesn't seem like management cares about the customers after they've signed the contract. many processes are flawed and nobody seems to be working on a fix.

Advice to Management

Pay the techs at least the national average! We are the voice of this place as we talk to the customers everyday. We constantly have to apologize on behalf of Windstream. We are apologizing for processes that are out of our control. This company brings in lots of money, and based on the salaries reported on this website only a select few are benefiting. Sales are all that seems to matter to this company, once the paperwork is signed, the poor customer is thrown through loops just to get support for things that should have been working before original installers left; but remote techs are left to figure out the mess that was left from install. If the techs are expected to get dumped on every day it's important to make them feel like it's worth it.

Multiple service outages made it difficult to represent the company as having a solid product

Former Employee - Account Manager II in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Account Manager II in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Windstream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had flexibility in my day an was encouraged to go to entertain customers on corporate card. Windstream had suites at Ford Field and other major arenas. They had a wide variety of business solutions for customers.

Cons

We had a major outage, nearly once a month. Turning a customer up would involve a much longer time than necessary. Since Windstream purchased many other telecom companies, none of them seem to talk to each other. Entering a new order is very cumbersome. I had one coaching while working there, however, my boss was great. I lost job because of corporate cutbacks.

Advice to Management

Invest in infrastructure here in Michigan. Be there for employee's concerns.

9. It's okay

I have been working at Windstream full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I really enjoy my manager and my fellow colleagues.

Cons

Not enough resources available for all our projects. Most everyone in my department is overworked. Need better coordination, procedures and communication between the carrier side and the ISG division. Need upper management to "walk a day in the shoes of the little people on the ground."

Advice to Management

Sit with the little people and understand their jobs and items that cause issues and pain to each department. Talk to the little people and ask for input on procedure and how to better customer service, etc.

10. It was a good career

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Windstream

Pros

Lots of learning opportunities, supportive managers, always plenty of work to do.

Cons

Lots of hours, no increase in pay for additional duties, always concerned about layoffs

Advice to Management

Stop spending money on employee surveys and hire the staff you adequately need to do the work.

It's a job...

Current Employee - Network Technician II
    Current Employee - Network Technician II

I have been working at Windstream full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are given the right management structure, you will learn more about your job, in a shorter time, than you ever thought possible.

Cons

Kind of a sink or sink attitude. Lots of "I don't do that" or "someone else does that" responses. There is a lack of care about the customers and that is why they leave to other carriers. The company failed to understand what they got into when they made their acquisitions two years ago. They bit off more than they could chew, IMO.

Advice to Management

Just because you preach a culture, doesn't mean that anyone believes it. I enjoy being in a company where I feel that I can make a difference. Help that one more person. The cultural idea is good, don't get me wrong, but the vast majority of the people don't believe it. And if they don't believe it, they won't follow it.