Wine Group

Add Photos

David B. Kent

Great Company

Level I Quality Tech (Former Employee) Ripon, CA

ProsAll levels of management respect all levels of employees
    Always has employees best interest in mind
    Fair
    Always giving employees gifts
    Always having employee luncheons
    All Shifts are treated fairly

ConsCan be demanding of time during harvest. During harvest you will probably work 6 days a week for 3-6 months.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

A rudderless ship.

Vice President Sales (Current Employee)

ProsIf they recruit you into the LLC you can make millions.

ConsAll the Gallo people have changed the culture. The company has no attention span - They call it fast to fail. The brands are all price driven with quality constantly dumbed down for the sake of margin.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO Brian Vos is focused solely on operations. David Kent the former CEO left unceremoniously two years ago. There are big problems here.

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people
    Gave me the chance to gain experience
    Understanding of new hires

ConsManagement
    Always On a busy schedule

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern

Intern (Former Employee) Ripon, CA

ProsGood company, Good people,

ConsWas not related to field. Ask people to wear many hats. Management was weird.

Old world mentality clash with inexperienced management

Operations (Current Employee) Central Valley, CA

ProsNot a lot of layers of management

ConsLack of opportunities for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a professional environment. Actually empower employees instead of merely talking about it.

Great for 5 years until new CEO took over and company/business went to crap

Territory Manager (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsWas a great family type company and then changed to a corporate atmosphere where they cut out everyone that had been there for 5+ years

ConsAwful benefits, poor management, no appreciation for employees

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at who you have leading the team and not who is on your team.

Steer clear, unless you enjoy gambling with your career as currency

Sales (Former Employee)

Pros-1 or 2 brands (out of over 50) that are proven winners and continue to show upward trends (Cupcake continues to be the shining star here. As long as it continues to grow, everything else wrong with this organization with persist)
    -solid network of distributors
    -strong off-premise presence
    -pay is commensurate with position (although not with experience, see cons section)
    -a few very solid employees who show insight, edge, compassion, skill and the ability to listen

Cons-management has very little insight into how to motivate and treat employees
    -considering TWG presents themselves as being the 3rd largest winery in the world, they have made very little investment into need-based resources
    -because they're growing beyond their minimal infrastructure, they have undergone AT LEAST 1 organizational restructuring every year for the past several years. These are not strategic expansions in sales force, but rather eliminating employees that don't fit their ancient mold and replacing with a new batch of unsuspecting personnel. This has created a cyclical effect with many new employees being encouraged to share their ideas only to find themselves shifted around and eventually asked to leave b/c of those new ideas.
    -they pride themselves on having a "quick to fail" philosophy with brands, meaning that they basically throw a bunch of substandard brands into the marketplace with the knowledge that 90% of them won't last. Unfortunately, this means that the sales teams are investing several months focused against brands that will suddenly be dropped......this kills morale and trust (especially the trust between TWG and customers/retailers/distributors)
    -employee owned, although there are only a handful of employee owners. Identities are kept top secret....which is understandable. What doesn't make sense is selling prospective employees on the potential to one day become an employee/owner without laying out a clear path to achieving.
    -inconsistent compensation/promotion system. Some brand new employees with minimal industry experience promoted to new positions after 6 months. Often times, these industry "newbies" were promoted to positions where their counterparts had 5-10 years more experience under their belt....kills morale.
    -zero training and development. Now, TWG will say that they hire people that don't need to be babysat.....this is not what I'm referring to. Regardless of who a company hires, they should be focusing some amount of energies towards managing their employees for success and teaching them the selling points of their products. Feedback to employees is a critical part of development and getting them ready for bigger roles. This does not exist at TWG outside of an annual performance review, which is typically a very awkward conversation between manager and employee discussing strengths and opportunities for the first time in 12 months
    -reward system seems to change without explanation. Suddenly and without explanation after a few years, we were informed that our sales bonuses were being done away with. They did bump our annual salary, but without a bonus, there were no clearly defined KPIs (key performance indicators or goals) to focus on.
    -no standardized processes. People in different states were doing things very differently. Even worse, no "best practices" being shared.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above and give some critical thought to how you can make working at TWG a special experience. Honestly, I don't think TWG is too concerned with what current or former employees have to say especially if it's critical

A growing and changing company.

Vice President Sales (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAn exciting portfolio of products with a great value proposition and a major industry player.

ConsRapid growth has lead to restructuring each of the last 7 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementI spent my career building brands and developing markets. It was a blast.

Very Hands On Company

Non-production (Current Employee)

ProsYour contributions are definitely noticed! This is a company always looking towards continuous improvement. New CEO is doing a great job connecting with employees. Benefits are decent.

ConsLimited manpower makes it overwhelming a times to get everything done. You will have the workload for 3-4 people, not just one! Compensation is average to below average depending on the department you work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to spend more time trying to develop its current employees. There is a wealth of talent in the current workforce that needs to be tapped into. Salaries need to be reviewed as well to keep the talent at TWG. Keep reaching out to employees to get feedback. Deal with people that are not performing to TWG expectations. Communication is key.

The Wine Group has no respect for their Employees

Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsBeautiful location, the location is pretty...you are given the illusion of being in the wine industry

ConsPoor management, low pay, unrealistic amounts of daily work to complete, encouraged not to take lunch, micro managment, lack of respect for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany of your employees believe they are going into a job that will enable them to grow and bring their knowledge to your organization, but you are solely interested in pumping out bad wine and cheap wine that gives the wine industry a bad name. You have a lot of great people working at your organization and are not utilizing them to their full capacity.

No comment on David Kent since he does not interact with his those on the lower rungs, meaning his employees.

Worked for Wine Group? Contribute to the Community!