Wine Group

David B. Kent

Great Company

Former Employee - Level I Quality Tech in Ripon, CA
    Former Employee - Level I Quality Tech in Ripon, CA

I worked at Wine Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

All levels of management respect all levels of employees
    Always has employees best interest in mind
    Fair
    Always giving employees gifts
    Always having employee luncheons
    All Shifts are treated fairly

Cons

Can be demanding of time during harvest. During harvest you will probably work 6 days a week for 3-6 months.

keep up the good work

In With the New, Out With the Old

I worked at Wine Group full-time

Pros

Used to be a large company that felt like a small company. Previously had a strong leader and visionary as CEO. Great benefits and profit sharing.

Cons

No opportunity for growth unless you play politics, company hires from outside before looking to promote within, and arrogance among management makes for a horrible culture. New management from big companies brought corporate culture along with them.

Reward hard work and loyalty over arrogance and politics.

Big wine - sad people

Current Employee - Field Sales Organization in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Field Sales Organization in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Wine Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Carry a big stick and use it. You can get a lot done when you do so much volume and will do whatever it takes. Free wine. David Kent is no longer the CEO.

Cons

Distributors loath the company because we are unreasonable and arrogant. Opportunities for advancement are limited because we hire from outside rather than promoting from within.

Management does not encourage opinions from the field.

A rudderless ship.

Current Employee - Vice President Sales
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales

I have been working at Wine Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If they recruit you into the LLC you can make millions.

Cons

All the Gallo people have changed the culture. The company has no attention span - They call it fast to fail. The brands are all price driven with quality constantly dumbed down for the sake of margin.

CEO Brian Vos is focused solely on operations. David Kent the former CEO left unceremoniously two years ago. There are big problems here.

Intern

I worked at Wine Group

Pros

Good people
    Gave me the chance to gain experience
    Understanding of new hires

Cons

Management
    Always On a busy schedule

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Ripon, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Ripon, CA

I worked at Wine Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good company, Good people,

Cons

Was not related to field. Ask people to wear many hats. Management was weird.

Old world mentality clash with inexperienced management

Current Employee - Operations in Central Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Central Valley, CA

I have been working at Wine Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Not a lot of layers of management

Cons

Lack of opportunities for advancement

Create a professional environment. Actually empower employees instead of merely talking about it.

Great for 5 years until new CEO took over and company/business went to crap

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Wine Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Was a great family type company and then changed to a corporate atmosphere where they cut out everyone that had been there for 5+ years

Cons

Awful benefits, poor management, no appreciation for employees

Look at who you have leading the team and not who is on your team.

Steer clear, unless you enjoy gambling with your career as currency

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Wine Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-1 or 2 brands (out of over 50) that are proven winners and continue to show upward trends (Cupcake continues to be the shining star here. As long as it continues to grow, everything else wrong with this organization with persist)
    -solid network of distributors
    -strong off-premise presence
    -pay is commensurate with position (although not with experience, see cons section)
    -a few very solid employees who show insight, edge, compassion, skill and the ability to listen

Cons

-management has very little insight into how to motivate and treat employees
    -considering TWG presents themselves as being the 3rd largest winery in the world, they have made very little investment into need-based resources
    -because they're growing beyond their minimal infrastructure, they have undergone AT LEAST 1 organizational restructuring every year for the past several years. These are not strategic expansions in sales force, but rather eliminating employees that don't fit their ancient mold and replacing with a new batch of unsuspecting personnel. This has created a cyclical effect with many new employees being encouraged to share their ideas only to find themselves shifted around and eventually asked to leave b/c of those new ideas.
    -they pride themselves on having a "quick to fail" philosophy with brands, meaning that they basically throw a bunch of substandard brands into the marketplace with the knowledge that 90% of them won't last. Unfortunately, this means that the sales teams are investing several months focused against brands that will suddenly be dropped......this kills morale and trust (especially the trust between TWG and customers/retailers/distributors)
    -employee owned, although there are only a handful of employee owners. Identities are kept top secret....which is understandable. What doesn't make sense is selling prospective employees on the potential to one day become an employee/owner without laying out a clear path to achieving.
    -inconsistent compensation/promotion system. Some brand new employees with minimal industry experience promoted to new positions after 6 months. Often times, these industry "newbies" were promoted to positions where their counterparts had 5-10 years more experience under their belt....kills morale.
    -zero training and development. Now, TWG will say that they hire people that don't need to be babysat.....this is not what I'm referring to. Regardless of who a company hires, they should be focusing some amount of energies towards managing their employees for success and teaching them the selling points of their products. Feedback to employees is a critical part of development and getting them ready for bigger roles. This does not exist at TWG outside of an annual performance review, which is typically a very awkward conversation between manager and employee discussing strengths and opportunities for the first time in 12 months
    -reward system seems to change without explanation. Suddenly and without explanation after a few years, we were informed that our sales bonuses were being done away with. They did bump our annual salary, but without a bonus, there were no clearly defined KPIs (key performance indicators or goals) to focus on.
    -no standardized processes. People in different states were doing things very differently. Even worse, no "best practices" being shared.

See above and give some critical thought to how you can make working at TWG a special experience. Honestly, I don't think TWG is too concerned with what current or former employees have to say especially if it's critical

A growing and changing company.

Former Employee - Vice President Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Wine Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

An exciting portfolio of products with a great value proposition and a major industry player.

Cons

Rapid growth has lead to restructuring each of the last 7 years.

I spent my career building brands and developing markets. It was a blast.